What car stole Ferraris design the most? | FerrariChat

What car stole Ferraris design the most?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Ferruccio, Nov 4, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferruccio

Ferruccio Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2003
    olathe, KS
    Full Name:
    Dan Gordon
    We see it every day some car company stealing a Ferraris design. What car stole Ferraris design the most. I am going to say the Hyndai Tiboron or how ever you spell it. It obviously stole the 456 design.

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Probably the best has to be the Pontiac Mera

Don't know what it is? Run a Google search and you'll see

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I'd say Chrysler did a pretty good job of ripping-off the (still tasteful IMO) F "egg-crate" grill design starting in the late '50s-early '60s (when the status-quo was a mouthful of massive chrome teeth).

4. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.
    I would probably say that Venturi.

Their two cars is pretty heavily inspired by the 355 and the F40.

5. fanatic1

fanatic1 Guest

Nov 1, 2003
    columbus
    Full Name:
    philip
    The Dodge Dart.........classic Italian styling and the performance to match.........timeless............

6. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Voted best in show at the Toyko Auto Show. Autoweek just reported that the new (lower, wider, shorter, lighter) NSX, has just gotten the green light by Honda, do to overwhelming responses at cars debut.

7. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Lately, It looks like Honda with the 2005 NSX design. Enzo wanna be!

8. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    IMHO,

The Ac Ace / Cobra, classic looking car but blatant rip off of the 166mm Barchetta touring

9. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    "Enzo wanna be!"

I see it as a 360 up-grade competitor .

Honda has made it tougher for Ferrari to take the 360 replacement in 2006, and make it sleeker or look more like the Enzo.

10. ferrariartist

ferrariartist F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    East of Toronto
    Full Name:
    Grant Thomas
    My top 2: Tiburon (456), Toyota MR2 (348/355)

Current Chyslers get a mention but just for the grill... the whole car - no - just the single detail.... to their credit they DID do a good job of them tbough... best designs of the the big three in my opinion...

GT

11. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    This is, without a doubt, the biggest blatant copy ever. I saw a white 308 at a gas station over the summer and complimented the young lady who was getting into the car with "nice 308...I just test drove one a couple of weeks ago."

She repsonded it was not a Ferrari but a Pontiac. This was not a kit car. Everything was IDENTICAL to a 308 except the lame wheels. She proceeeded to tell me that it was only a Pontiac and that there were only a few in existence. She said Pontiac was sued by Ferrari for copying the design, but a few made it to production.

12. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    toyota MR2...... not that stealing from the fcars designs was a really bad thing. they are great little cars and getting really hard to find..... at least here anyway. my .02

13. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
  14. CraigFL

CraigFL Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2001
    Panama City, FL
    Full Name:
    Craig
  15. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Id say NSX.

16. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    Hands down NSX !!!

17. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    How about the most copied design? I think the Testarossa cheese grater grills were copied most amongst cars. From pick up truck aftermarket kits to corvettes, etc.

18. WilliamT

WilliamT Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    William
    The NSX looks nothing like any of Ferraris design. The front is more blunt like the old 89 Honda Prelude at that time and the rear wing design isn't in any Ferrari model (except maybe in the F40 multiplied by 10 fold in height). The wraparound rear glass panel design on the NSX isn't used any of the Ferrari models.

I have to agree on the Pontiac Mera being the all time Ferrari copy.

The Hyundai Tiburon looks similar to a 456. I read that Hyundai hired Pininfarina to design the Tiburon styling. Its not a copy when you came up with the design in the first place.

The Enzo styling is really growing on me. The HSC looks like a bad interpretation of the Camel Acura Spice GTP minus the wing with a nose that comes from the current NSX design. The rear quarter panel window does look like ones on the Enzo though. After looking at the HSC for a while, it just looks awful from the side. It has too many styling cues from different cars.

19. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Look further back in history - The Datsun 240Z is a Daytona look-alike.

Jim S.

20. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The Datsun 240Z was more the Daytona in the 70's then the real Daytona.
    I saw them everywhere. Just masses of them.

Isn't that where the Japanese started the idea that they would make Ferrari copies for the mass market?

21. Ferruccio

Ferruccio Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2003
    olathe, KS
    Full Name:
    Dan Gordon

22. BoxerCrazy

BoxerCrazy Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2002
    Charleston WV
    Full Name:
    Douglas A Hunt
    I always thought the early nissan(datsun) z-cars(240/260/280)got their great looks from the Queen Mother(Ferrari 365 GT 2+2),especially the frontends.

doug

23. toms

toms Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    I'm surprised that nobody mentioned the Corvette. GM's chief of design for years, Chuck Jordan, mentioned in print his admiration of Pininfarina designs and he has owned several Ferrari's personally. Check out coves in late 50's vettes, round tailights, and lines between front fenders and rear haunches.

24. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Pontiac Mera...of course. Look at the damn thing! That IS a wannabe 308. I dont think the NSX looks like any Ferrari...Its a nice design, but it has only vague similarities to other ferraris. Its not like Ferrari is the only company to have side vents :)

25. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

What about the Toyota 2000 GT a direct ripoff of the Daytona, as was the Datsun 240 Z. However, I do like both.