Importing a Challenge | FerrariChat

Importing a Challenge

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by daveking, Dec 17, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. daveking

daveking Rookie

Dec 12, 2003
    Does anyone here have experience with importing a Ferrari into the US for race purposes? I know importing a road car is a nightmare, is it the same story for race purpose vehicles?

2. yank05

yank05 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    New England
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Hi Dave,

John Tirrell, owner of Independent Ferrari Service (IFS) in the Boston area, imported a 355 Challenge from Germany, I believe. He may be able to help. He can be reached at (508)238-4224.

3. daveking

daveking Rookie

Dec 12, 2003
    Thanks for that, would I have to import through a company such as John's or could I do it on my own?

Is it worth importing a challenge into the US? What price range would a good condition used one go for here?

4. yank05

yank05 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    New England
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Hi Dave,

John is a well-known mechanic - IFS is his shop. I am not sure how he went about importing the vehicle but he can probably answer some of your questions and tell you how he did it. There may be a 355 Challenge car available right in John's area at Hatch and Son's automotive in Wayland, Mass. It is listed in Hemmings, but it is not on their website (so it may have been sold by now). Give them a call. www.hatchandsons.com

As far as prices, I am not really in-the-know on Challenge cars, but I am sure someone here can help you. I have seen used 355 Challenge cars in the $70k -$80K range - search the web to see what is out there.

Thanks,

Anthony

5. daveking

daveking Rookie

Dec 12, 2003
  6. FormulaRacer

FormulaRacer Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2003
    What are you planning to race that in if you imported it? Or was this just for pleasure at DE's and having "fun" with?

Nice looking car though!

Goodluck

7. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Daveking,

I have a good friend who has imported a few cars from Europe by himself. Its not the nightmare you may be thinking. Using a professional broker the cars were shipped air freight via Lufthansa, insured and with all taxes and duty paid for under $5,000 each car. They arrived safe and as-expected in each case. Just for reference his cars were Porsche Supercup cars and they departed from Germany and arrived in NY. He's very knowledgeable, detail oriented and would be happy to share his knowledge ande experience with a fellow enthusiast if you would like. Let me know if you want his phone number. Best Wishes on getting your Challenge car.

Andy

8. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Do you definitely have to have one imported? There are a number of cars available in the US for sale. You can contact Tony Nevotti at Ferrari of Dallas. The last time I talked with him he had access to several that had been raced on the FoDallas or FoHouston teams. These cars received very good setup by the Risi guys and were always running in the top of the field.