Future TR values ? | FerrariChat

Future TR values ?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by parkerfe, Nov 4, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I noted in this months Sports Car Magazine that a 1- rated car, which means almost perfect, sold for a little over $40k. What does they mean for most of the TRs out there that are 2 and 3 rated cars ? Will TRs be $25k cars in a few years ?

2. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    I think they are dropping. They will continue to fall for a little while. Part is due to the higher parts prices compared to 8 cylinders, some tranny parts are not available, etc. I love the styling but some think it is very dated. I am keeping my eye open for one in the next year or so.

3. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    NO good or worth owning testarossa will ever be a 25,000 dollar car, a good 88 with all records and a real 30,000 major service will be over 65,000 dollars, and thats for a car with 33,000 miles. Dont believe what you hear, the day your are a real buyer then you will know what I am talking about.

4. mr. green

mr. green Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 31, 2003
    If you can find me a nice TR with service records and low mileage for 40k
    the check is in the mail.

5. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    tr will not drop to $25k for one main reason more than any other: supply vs. demand. right now, tr values are slipping a little as there are so many choices in cars that can be had. for the most part, very few people have a tr as a daily car. tr's are usually back-up or fun cars or, in other words, toys. there are enough people who would be willing to have a tr as a fun car over a mustang cobra or a corvette or a....... etc, etc, etc. tr's will alway be more than a 308. i can see them settling in around the price for a new 328. i have a 87 tr with 31,xxx miles. the 30k service was completed about three weeks ago. the car is very solid with no known problems and used regularly. the first person to offer $65k gets the car. i don't think $65k is a real price, but i would take it in a heart beat. however, i don't think $40k is a real price for a GOOD car either. my car is for sale, i expect the sales price to fall in between these two extremes.

6. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Green look around. I have seen many TRs single lug wheels with less than 40K on the clock with records and 30K done in the $45K range. It isn't hard to find them. $65K is way too high. I found one that needed the 30K and had records for $35K. (it was advertised for more but that is what I could have got it for that day) It wasn't a bad car either. (single lug, needed small items addressed) I would have jumped on it and done the 30K myself but I just purchased my 308 a month before.

7. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    I agree but I am just being honest. I like TRs alot but at the same time I do think the values are dropping for many reasons. Anyway, I just didn't want you to think that I was putting down your car. They are great cars.

8. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    I know of a SF Bay area TR that just sold for $35K. Yes, it was an early car, but there were NO stories, and the 30K was done ahead of schedule.
    One of my issues with the Ferrari I currently own (63 GTE) is that I feel bad driving it short distances. It is also often a hassle to warm up the car for the short drive to work, or the V12 wakes up the kids if I leave too early. Because of this, I have been contemplating adding a more modern, "fool" injected Ferrari. If the TR continues to drop, and reaches high 20s when my Audi A4 lease expires, I will switch to that as my driver. Wife will still have the family truckster, so no worries.
    I love capitalism and the free market forces !

9. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I think a "1" rating could mean "unused", rather than "perfect", in this case. If it was a garage queen, with single-lug metric wheels, in a bit of an odd color combo, needing a major, $40K probably is the "sell it now regardless" auction price (especially outside the US) -- what are the details Frank?
    My guess is that even a non-running (uncrashed, unburned, etc.) TR would be worth at least ~$25K for the next few years if it's all there.

10. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Ferrari dealer says people are afraid of them. He can't move the TR's anymore. One rubber belt between fun and a large financial loss.

I think the car looks great!

11. Steve Marschman

Steve Marschman Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Idaho Falls
    Full Name:
    Steve Marschman
    I hope the prices do fall to $25K. I'll buy two more and enjoy the drive. When one breaks I'll have plenty of spares. Can't you just see driving a ratty TR down to the Kwiky Mart, sliding into one of those too small parking spots and throwing your door open into the side of the damn $40K minivan next to you? And then tell them "Hell no I don't have insurance!"

Sorry, I just couldn't help it...

12. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I bought my TR new in 88. I dove it 115K miles in rain sleet and Snow. I drove it in bumper to bumper 100 deg days on the West Side Highway. I spent more on maintainance than the car cost new. When the chassis rust got too advanced I sold it for 23K. These are great cars. They are VERY expensive to maintain esp. if you're going to drive them every day. If a timing belt goes, which happened on my car at 6k miles you're looking at 40K+ in damage. (The warantee claim that FNA paid my dealer was 42K in 88!) All in IMHO an F car will cost you $2.50 per mile and TR's are at least that.

13. Steve Marschman

Steve Marschman Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Idaho Falls
    Full Name:
    Steve Marschman
    Napolis: Your point is well taken. Believe me, I know how much a TR costs to maintain... the $20+K I've put into it since I bought it two years ago gives my wife a lot of ammo in any money arguement we have. And I haven't added the cost of the new front valance (at $700) that arrived today... I will say the Rutlands did a great job of getting the part here. I smacked a curb at 7:55 am yesterday and the new valance was on my doorstep at 5:00 pm tonight. That's service! Wish my driving was better!

So, those $25K TRs will make great parts cars. HaHaHaHaHaHaHa!!!
    Regards-

14. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Steve
    Save the one you damaged. A good bodyman can fix it for less than 700 and if you're like me you may need it one day.
    Best

15. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Please also keep in mind that auctions are usually the last stop for cars that do not sell, it is a last resort. I think auction prices will be lower than buying from a private seller in most cases, and certainly less than a dealer. When cars go to auction they are usually their to be dumped....not try and get top money, unless it's something well known and special. So Sports Car Market makes their price guides based on auctions, not only in the U.S. but in Europe and other continents. In European countries they have high taxes on stuff like Ferraris, like Switzerland with something like 35-40%. So a car at these auctions will sell for less because this is taken into account. And when averaged out I believe it does nothing but hurt TRs here in America. If I sound a bit emotional...well I am. These cars deserve better! There are always some who say "I know of 5 different TRs that can be had for $40,000". If they are very good, documented history, up to date maintenance-wise, with great appearance, I'll call the bank in the morning. I don't mean to be harping on anyone for their views on TR values, but I get miffed when it seems that people take pleasure in "dissing" these cars. So sorry to rant....I'm gonna go take a pill and a shot of whiskey!

16. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    You have definitely won the prize for the funniest thing I've read today! I can't stop laughing...

17. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Interesting thread................I guess if you look at what has happened over the years to the production Ferrari's of the 12 cylinder variety.....Boxers and Daytonas (both admittedly expensive cars to operate....are they not ?) I'd say that overall TR values are not going to go much further down........if anything they are probably pretty stable IMHO for the next few years. I think that they have found their level......more or less.

18. LRPMAN

LRPMAN Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Aiken S.C. & FL.
    Full Name:
    George Pavlisko
    Going by the reception the RED HEAD gets where ever it goes the price will be DRIVEN up in the future. The fact that the car is a rolling work of art does not hurt, and besides ANY V12 is a ton to keep running. We have had 5 so far and if you have to pay for every little thing you will have the big bills BUT if you learn how to maintain what you own then everything falls into place. The repair numbers for ANY high end toy is high but of ALL the cars we have and have shown over the last 35 years only our 1932 Auburn came CLOSE to the buzz that the RED HEAD created when rolled out of the trailer.
    IMHO a solid TR is a good investment. With 7736 miles now we are planning on 2400/year. That will be a lot when you factor in 8 other cars to be shown also.
    Take Care
    GCP

19. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    It'll be interesting to see where the bottom stops on the TR. I have seen a number offered in the 40's, but none in the 30's that weren't wrecks. Beautiful cars, but high production numbers( relatively speaking) and crazy parts/maint costs. They make the 8-cylinders look like a bargain.

20. Pierre

Pierre Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    I am aware of a TR sold in the SF bay area recently by a dealer. It was an 86 I believe, single lug wheels, black with burgundy interior (seller said that was it's biggest problem that stopped a lot of potential buyers-they wanted black or tan interior), 44k miles no clear info on service history, sold for $45K This seems representative of the cars I'm aware of-it was cheap due to being an early car, high miles, unpopular color combo and service questions. I bet you can buy similar spec cars all day long. Add $10k for a major and you have a high mile, less desireable $55K car. Why do it unless you can do a major yourself and have good connections for cheap parts. Good stuff costs more

21. mike

mike Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm in the market for a TR would anyone who comes across one with records/service history etc... in this price range please let me know.
    I would like a Red/Blk or Red/Tan. I saw an 87 (single lug) advertised as an 88 and they wanted $71k, way too much.

22. LRPMAN

LRPMAN Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Aiken S.C. & FL.
    Full Name:
    George Pavlisko
    Have you looked in EBAY at the one BAY MOTORSPORTS has? I assume you have seen the one in Dupont Registry for $78,000.00 with 24,000 miles. The car is in Florida.
    Take care and good hunting!
    George P.

23. GRIESDALE

GRIESDALE Karting

Nov 12, 2001
    Lions Bay, B.C. Canada
    Full Name:
    Donald Griesdale
    We with perfect, well maintained and driven TRs' will have the last laugh. A car is not an investment!! There is a price to pay for years of exhilarating driving. Don.

24. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

in frank's defense, he is taking no pride in his reporting of keith martin's auction results. frank like many of us is a real car guy and like many of us is looking at the newer cars and wondering what has happened to make these 12 cyl cars fall out of favor.i have also seen decent tr's in the $40-50k "asking price range. if the prices for good 88.5's keep going down, i will get one to enjoy and love it!

to the tr owners, while you would never sell your cars for that discounted a price, you may not sell it for the long dollar either.

like the stock market...you only loose when you sell at the bottom.

...and you really loose if you sell , get hurt, and never get back in!

12 cyl ferraris should always be desirable but the lower prices may allow for dreams to come true!!

25. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I think becasue the TRs are very desirable and were such a radical design their prices will recover. The 512TR & 512M will have higher prices bcus they are more desirable & much fewer were built. It will just take time to recover