What to keep | FerrariChat

What to keep

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by solly, Nov 4, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    Due to divorce, one of the F-cars has to go. Which would you sell: a 360 spider, 360 Challenge, dino 246GTS.

I love the Dino and i love track events, so i'm already leaning to sell the spider, but feel free to post your opinions. I hate to lose any of them, but that's the reality of a divorce.

2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Thats a shame, Solly, I never even knew you were married. Personally I'd drop the Dino but from an investment view the 360 spider might be better to let go. I'd never let go of the track toy :)

3. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Solly, it may be in your best interest to make your cars dissapear somehow, if the lawyer cant find them he cant seize them or sell them. or you might want to put the title in some1 elses name, your parents, sibling, cousin. something like that till the storm blows over, or better yet do both. Good luck

4. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    ugh. my condolences on all fronts.

the 360 spider is worth at least 2X the challenge and maybe 3X the dino, right?

so the issue is whether you need to make room or generate cash. if you just need room my advice would be to make a call on your track time first and maybe sell the 360CH if you don't think you'll be able to use it. if you need cash, sell the 360 spider. in five years or so you'll be able to buy it back for something like half of what you'll sell it for today.

good luck. not fun.

doody.

5. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    I'm afraid that you have to keep your wife

Rijk

6. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    360 Spider would be my choice to sell. You have everything covered with the other 2 cars (ie. open air motoring and track events), plus variety.

Plus as others have stated you will get the most money.

Pete

7. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Sorry to hear this.

My first instinct was to suggest selling the Spider because it probably has held its value well, and the sale of the Spider would leave you with more cash than the sale of the other cars.

On second thought, though, as you already know, keeping the 360C track ready, and participating in a number of track events, will be very expensive. As I'm sure you also know, there are many less expensive track toy alternatives to the 360C.

On the other hand, do you want to let go of your hobby just when you might need the mental lift it gives you? And, you have to admit, the market for 360Cs doesn't seem to be very strong right now.

Tough choice, good luck, Will.

8. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    (Humor and some truth) Can you just sell the wife? Never "purchased" one and not familiar with their warranty and return policy. Was always curious why anyone would buy such things when singles are available nearly everywhere at very low to no cost.

(Ok, seriously) Solly, i agree with William and Doody that selling the 360 Spider might be the best thing from a financial standpoint. Sorry to hear you are in this situation :-( and it continues to support why i have always desired being a s(w)ingle man.

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

9. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    STEVE

I WENT THRU THE SAME THING WITH MY FIRST DIVORCE, WHEN I OWNED A CALLAWAY CORVETTE, BUT GOT AWAY WITH IT...EMAIL ME @ [email protected] AND ILL GIVE YOU THE DETAILS

BEST,
    BRUCE

10. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

enjoythemusic,
    Wives are like older Ferraris, they don't cost that much to acquire initially, but the maintenance costs can be astronomical. You are also almost guaraunteed to lose 50% on trade-in as well.

11. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    sjb509,

Don't mind the care and feeding of a Ferrari because it has been lots of fun, has been a life dream, doesn't have kids, never says no or has a headache, and has both an ON and just as important, an OFF switch. At least going into the deal for an Fcar you know you could take a loss, yet can also be used to upgrade without ANY complaints from car.

Would say more, yet in the end i chose a car over a certain gal (per se) about 18 months ago and it was THE SINGLE BEST decision i made in MANY years. In fact even without the car it was STILL the single best decision made in MANY years. Hmmmm.....

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

12. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    PS: and to add some levity to this terrible situation. REALLY sorry to hear that someone has to sell one of their Prancing Horses:

Upgrading to Wife 1.0

Last year a friend of mine upgraded from Girlfriend 4.0 to Wife 1.0 and found that it's a memory hog leaving few system resources for other applications. He is also now noticing the Wife 1.0 is also spawning Child-processes which are further consuming valuable resources. No mention of this particular phenomenon was included in the product documentation, though other users have informed me that this is to be expected due to the nature of the application.
    Not only that, Wife 1.0 installs itself so that it is always launched at system initialization where it can monitor all other system activity. Some applications such as PokerNite 10.3 , Bachelor Party 2.5, and Pubnite 7.0 are no longer able to run on the system at all, causing the system to lockup when launched (even though the apps worked fine before).

Wife 1.0 provides no installation options. Thus, the installation of undesired plug-ins such as Mother-in-law 55.8 and the Brother-in-law Beta is unavoidable. Also, system performance seems to diminish with each passing day.

Some features my friend would like to see in the upcoming Wife 2.0:

A "don't remind me again" button.
    Minimize button.
    Ability to delete the "headache" file
    An install feature that provides an option to uninstall 2.0 version without loss loss of other system resources.
    An option to run the network driver in "promiscuous mode" allowing the the system's Hardware Probe feature to be much more useful/effective.
    I myself wish I had decided to avoid all of the headaches associated with Wife 1.0 by sticking with Girlfriend 3.0 Even here, however, I have found many problems. Apparently you cannot install Girlfriend 4.0 on top of girlfriend 3.0. You must uninstall Girlfriend 3.0 first, otherwise the two versions of Girlfriend will have conflicts over shared use of the I/O port. Other users have told me that this is a long-standing problem that I should have been aware of. Guess that explains what happened to versions 1 and 2.

To make matters worse, the uninstall program for Girlfriend 3.0 doesn't work very well, leaving undesirable traces of the application in the system. Another identified problem is that all versions of Girlfriend have annoying little messages about the advantages of upgrading to Wife 1.0!

VIRUS ALERT

All users should be aware that Wife 1.0 has an undocumented bug. If you try to install Mistress 1.1 before uninstalling Wife 1.0, Wife 1.0 will delete MSMoney files before doing the uninstall itself. Once that happens, Mistress 1.1 won't install and you will get an "insufficient resources" error message. To avoid the aforementioned bug, try installing Mistress 1.1 on a different system and " never" run any file transfer applications(such as Laplink) between the two systems.

FYI: Don't even think about a shared directory!!!!!!!!!

bobafett likes this.
  13. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Steve,
    Thanks for the reminder. The mistress I have now (3.08) whines a little but it is a pleasant whine.

DJ

14. grantb

grantb Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Columbia SC
    Full Name:
    Danny Burnstein
    I have experienced many of the upgrade problems you mentioned
    The most problematic is the Mistress 1.1 upgrade, if improperly
    installed, the entire system crashes, and even when rebooted, half of the memory and programs are lost permantly.

15. davequick

davequick Formula Junior

May 27, 2003
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Quick
    Drop the spider - they are selling in the stratosphere right now - take advantage of it and then buy it back at less than 1/2 the price in two years.

do it.

-dq

16. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Solly this is a no brainer. If your interested in future relaionships the 360 Spider is the car to keep.:D

Sell the Dino and Challenge. Buy yourself a Lotus Elise ($35,000) and have a ball at the track.:cool:

17. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    STEVE: I am dying here.... too much buddy, too much! :D

Solly: surely there are ways around things, as BRUCE has mentioned. Also, a little clarity on why you have to sell (financially driven, or she wants one, or?)

--Dan

18. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Dave is right, Solly. The depreciation hit you have ALREADY taken is not as important as the hit you're ABOUT to take. of the three, the one that is by far the most likely to suffer a huge crater to value is the 360 Spider.

Aside from that, I'll weight in and be a bit contrary in advice -- do NOT try to "hide" assets from your wife. Inevitably, it'll be discovered and your wife and her attorney will be pissed. The judge may be pissed as well. Depending on the laws of the jurisdiction in which you're getting the divorce, you could get totally screwed (e.g., equitable distribution state) because of your bad acts. In fact, a lawyer could face sanctions for even suggesting such a course of action,

vty,

--Dennis

19. Shadow DN8

Shadow DN8 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Get rid of the cars that will remind you of bad times (times with your ex) . If that is not the case, then keep the one that brings the most smiles to your kind of driving habits.

20. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    KEEP THE DINO!

With that said, if I were in your situation I would probably get rid of the 360 spider first. If not, then get rid of the challenge car. You can still track the dino and 360 spider, and then that way you have two different types of cars that are able to drive on the street as well.

It is just up to you though. Do you need two street Ferraris or would you not mind driving the dino on the street and the challenge on the track?

Just keep the dino :)

I hope everything goes well though. Good luck.

21. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Solly- I'm not a lawyer, throw the Spider in my name and come meet me at an 'undisclosed location' in 2 years when the storm blows over :)

In all seriousness, I am terribly sorry you have to face this. WE could help more if we knew if you were car-count/space limited, or financial?

If it's financial, almost has to be the Spider that goes. The good news is they were produced in large volume, unlike either of your cars, and you can get it back in 2 years for half price once the 420Monza comes out.

Space... well, that's a harder decision. You could track the spider, but it'd never be the same.

Best!
    Ben.

22. wfo900

wfo900 Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2003
    Annapolis
    Full Name:
    Rich C
    Off the Spider since as a previous post noted you still have the open air car

23. wfo900

wfo900 Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2003
    Annapolis
    Full Name:
    Rich C
    Off the Spider since as a previous post noted you still have the open air car and you NEED the track car