100th anniversary of flight! | FerrariChat

100th anniversary of flight!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by jordan747_400, Dec 17, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    This day in 1903 the Wright Brothers made their first flight at Kitty Hawk, NC! Less than 70 years after their first flight the world was introduced to the Concorde and the 747. In a person's lifetime we went from flying grand total of 112 ft. to flying thousands and thousands of miles at a time! That is THE biggest technological advancement in the world in my opinion :) Aviation has revolutionized travel and transportation!

Celebrate it guys! All the pilots here, go flying today :)

2. spidr

spidr Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Who would have thought in 100 yrs would would have mach speed planes, commercial jet travel, privately ownened turbines, harriers, the concord would be designed, built, used, and scrapped, and we would be to the moon and constructiong a space station......Much more, faster, and better technology than the internal combustion engine car improvements I would say.

3. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    The fact that in under 70 years, mankind made the concorde and 747 pales in comparison to the fact that in under 70 years a man was put on the moon. That to me is amazing, and i bet if you went back in time and pointed at the moon and told the wright bros that in 66 years a man would be walking on that, they wouldnt believe you. keep in mind that we now have people living in space for months at a time, and within 20 years, a man(or maybe woman) will be walking on mars. Its impressive to say the least.

4. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    VERY true! I completely forgot about that as one of my examples. Who would have known in 1903...

:)

5. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    i heard they tried to replicate the wright flight today and it failed:)

6. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    I wouldn't doubt it! I dont know how that thing flew...good thing it did though :)

7. tigermilk

tigermilk Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    James P. Smith
    It's amazing how in 100 years of advancing the knowledge of powered flight the original achievement could not be duplicated. We've progressed so much beyond rudimentary flight and unstable control that going back to the basics is much tougher. But hey, would you rather fly a Wright Flyer or the latest commercial or military craft?

By the way, I'm currently reading a biography about Santos-Dumont, who Brazilians feel was the pioneer of flight. Interesting read about his controllable balloons/blimps.

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I just lost an hour of my day checking out the site.

'Course Amelia lost more than that!

Happy 100th!

I don't fly any more, after buying the Fcar, I just drive it.

They don't search my underwear as often.

9. racedecknc

racedecknc Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Winston Salem
    Full Name:
    Ed
    It would be great if the Wright Brothers knew how this would turn out. I watched some of the series where they built that replica of their flier. Those guys were mechanical and engineering geniuses.

Ed

10. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    #10 wax, Dec 17, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    heavier than air flight?
    can someone clarify for me please if today is the aniverary of heavier than air flight or powered heavier than air flight? I was under the impression that it was the latter.

12. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    100th anniversary of powered heavier than air flight. I just coulnt fit all that into the title :)

13. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    December 17th is the anniversary of the Wright Brothers first flight.
    December 20th is the anniversary of the arrival of their luggage.

On that fateful day, Orville did not know how many attempts it would take them to make a successful flight, so he carried a baloney sandwich in his pocket for lunch. At the end of the successful day, Orville remembered the sandwich, but it had apparently spoiled. At that point, the Wright Brothers realized that they had not only invented the airplane, but they had also invented airline food.

They had planned on having their secretary along for the historic first flight in hopes that she would become the first member of the
    "Three foot high club".

A 10 year old boy was witness to the historic flight. He ran up to the crowd after the flight shouting, "They done it. They done it." Behind the boy was a young girl shouting something unidentifiable. From out of the crowd stepped Roman Polanski's grandfather. He says to Orville, "Will that thing fly to Paris?"

14. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
  15. Burnout

Burnout Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Canada
    Horsefly, that is some funny stuff!

I hope other pilots were able to celebrate today with a flight. Nothing but snow and sleet in my neck of the woods, so it was out of the question.

16. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Thanks Wax, Richard Pierce has been forgotten, except in Australasian and especially New Zealand (since he was a Kiwi) muesums.

I wonder if history will ever be corrected so he gets the recognition he deserves ... and the Wright brothers achievements correctly attributed to the first flight with media watching and shouting, not actually the first flight.

Still I bet it is not the first case of this ... probably more than one wheel inventor too, and great minds DO think alike :)

Pete