turbo future? | FerrariChat

turbo future?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by bostonmini, Dec 17, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Anybody here think that ferrari will go back to turbos in the future a la F40 and 288 GTO? I dont mean to be repetitive, (on say many boards im not sure i have mentioned it here) but I have to ask because the truth is that ferrari's small cars have always used as efficient an engine as possible, not just some big V8 or something with a poor hp/L output...but a turbo would add torque, which I think is what many owners clamour for...just an idea, wonder how everyone else feels...I womder if turbocharged engines are just "better" because of the fact that so many prefer the F40 to F50, even though the F50 was better in every other way, except maybe looks, thats opinion. But the fact is that the F40 with more torque DID out pull the F50 in a straight line as far as I can tell... Also, on a side note, speaking of more power, torque etc, why do soooo many say "we need a next gen 360 with a v10!"? A V8 of the same displacement is not lacking...witness the gallardo engine versus say a BMW M5 V8 done by dinan...same power etc...

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    We went through this just a couple of weeks ago. End result is no, no more turbos until F1 goes back to turbos that is.

As to the F40 versus F50; I think this has to do with the looks of the F40 winning more hearts than the looks of the F50.

Cylinders do not add torque. Displacement adds torque. Cylinders allow you to move the torque band up the RPM band for more power (through shorter throws on the crankshaft). Besides, if you have ever heard a V10 sitting besides a V8 (or v12) in exactly the same state of tune, you will find out that you prefer the sound of the V8 or V12 because of the odd harmonics of the 5 throw crank (instead of 4 or 6).

3. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    my point exactly! I think that V10s dont sound so hot...besides, as long as you are creating a new V8 block that can handle boreing and stroking, couldn't one just make a 5 litre V8 the same dimensions (percentage wise) as a 3.6 litre V8? i would think so....