WHAT BRAND OF BATTERIES DO YOU USE??? | FerrariChat

WHAT BRAND OF BATTERIES DO YOU USE???

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by BWS550, Dec 17, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    IM JUST TAKING A POLL FOR THE 3000 + USERS ON F-CHAT

IM NOT TRYING TO PROMOTE OR DENOUCE ANY BRAND....

THIS REPORT WILL BE FORWARDED TO ENERGIZER BATTERY HEADQUARTERS IN ST LOUEY......THANKS...

BRUCE

2. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    I used to only use cheap, generic batteries - I never really gave it much thought. Since I've been on F-Chat, though, I only use Energizer. :)

On that note, thanks for the batteries - they're coming in handy for my fiancee's newphew this Christmas.

3. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Bruce - maybe use the poll tool and put in the top brands as options, with maybe "other" as one choice - will save you the hassle of tallying up the totals.

Joe

4. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
  5. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    GOOD IDEA JOE..........

ENERGIZER- DURACELL -RAYOVAC- SONY- PANASONIC- KODAK-BRIGHTSTAR- RAY-O-VAC- KIRKLAND- SANYO- VARTA- OR SOMETHING ELSE

6. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    ENERGIZER is a sponsor of one of the TV shows I work on,
    I have used their product with great results.
    On the other hand, I have not been pleased with Varta,
    a number of units have leaked on the job.

7. WFO_Racer

WFO_Racer Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca
    I was using the Costco/ Kirkland brand till they burst inside one digital camera and one mag light. They replaced both but still a pain in the ass.

Do you carry batteries for a Panasonic PV-DV910 digital cam-corder ?
    It's around 2/3 years old but we only use it when we track the car.
    Voltage/Amh 7.2V-2.4Amh 4 hour life.

8. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I use Energizer E2 "Titanium." Albertsons had a bunch last year, all with $1.00 coupons. Probably the most economical way I've purchased batteries ever.

Of course, this was WELL before I knew about the Bruce F-chatter Energizer deal :).

I don't see the E2s around anymore. Are these now the Energizer MAX?

9. Everyone knows the best brand of batteries are GreenCo Batteries, manufactured by Tony Roberts Inc whose C.E.O Michael Rossi, who goes by the nickname of "ziggy".

10. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    MIKE

THE E-SQUARED TITANIUMS ARE SLOWLY BEING FIZZLED OUT..THEY ARE GEARING FOR EITHER ALKALINE OR LITHIUM BATTERIES.....NOT A PROFITABLE CAMPAIN FOR THEM

11. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    Whenever I hit the store I usually just buy what is cheapest on the rack. I think I bought some Rayovac the other day just because there were 12 for the price of 8 energizers. I don't use very many batteries though so it isn't a brand appreciation thing or anything.

Are there any studies or anything out there that show which last the longest? Duracell vs. Energizer vs the rest of the brands? How does anyone know which are best, or is there really any difference?

12. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    AA Sanyo Nickel-Metal Hydride rechargables for my digital camera. I use them because of a *5* year warranty, I break most of my rechargables before then so its a good deal ;)

2 lithium 3V batteries (I think they are 3V) for car remote, changed out every year or two

13. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i use the ones you give me. :)

14. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I fly r/c planes. I use Sanyo NiCads and Sanyo & Panasonic NiMHs.
    For non r/c use, duracell, energizer, and Rayovac.

15. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Energizer for common everyday uses.

Sanyo NiCads in all of my R/C equipment

16. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Bruce,
    Being a former Duracell employee (sales rep), I tend to purchase based on price. I only buy Alkaline batteries, never the "general purpose" or "heavy duty" as those are the older "zinc carbon" technology which is much more prone to leak. But I also am concerned about overall quality, that is, I prefer to buy batteries from either a major manufacturer or from a major western country (or asian). You can generally figure out the manufacture pretty easily by quickly comparing the packaging or the cell end caps...So I buy which ever is on sale by Eveready, Duracell or Ray-o-Vac, as they are all pretty close in performance, with Eveready and Duracell usually slightly better....but price wins out on a cost per hour use. Private label or "house brands" can be a good deal too...For example, those Costco Kirkland Signature AA's are made by Duracell. Most of the private label brands are made by either Eveready (Sears, Albertsons, Safeway), and Duracell (True Value, Ace hardware, Coast to Coast). Check the label...If the private label is made in Germany (like Ikea batteries) then they are made by Varta. If the private label says made in the USA, it is most likely Eveready or Duracell. If they say made in Japan, then likely either Sanyo or Sony... Panasonic has moved most of their "major cell" (AA, AAA, C, D, 9vt) production to the USA, they still make many of their lithium photo cells in Japan.

The "good" brands (my opinion) are the following:

In order of quality, I have three groups:

A)Eveready
    Duracell

B)Panasonic
    Ray-o-Vac
    Varta

C)Sanyo
    Sony
    Kodak
    (or the private label equivalents of the above)

These are all of generally good quality and last decently. They are all backed with a consumer warranty that if they leak (rare these days) that they will repair or replace the device (generally they send you a check, based on their "blue book" valuation of the product damaged).

My preference is for Eveready and Duracell, because they seem to have the highest quality control, and spend the most on R&D and are constantly trying to out due each other both in technology (and marketing). Lately I have been buying a lot of Ikea (Varta) batteries because they are so damn cheap!

17. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    BTW, the worst words in the battery business is "ni-cad" or "battery eliminator". :) Right Bruce?

Anyway for those of you that use a lot of Ni-cads, check out this site on the top tested NiMH AA cells:
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACC1.HTM

18. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I used sanyo ni-cads in my r/c planes and cars when i used to be into that.

I have a bunch of Duracell Rechargeable Accu AA's around now. I use them in just about everything that needs batteries digi cam, remote controls, cd player, etc. I had some fuji rechargeables that came with my digital camera but they got really really hot one day in the camera so i threw them out.

I'm curious as to why batteries leak. I found a mini mag flash light in a drawer that I hadn't used in a long time. When I took the caps off the ends I saw that the batteries had leaked sealing themselves into the tube. I don't recall what brand batteries they were.

19. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Panasonic Heavy-Duty

Household Satisfaction: High
    Source: 99¢ Store

Uses:
    1 big-ass Casio keyboard (D) {Broken connection from keyboard to wall-wart}
    2 small Casio keyboards (AA)
    Flashlights (AA, C and D)
    Halogen Bike headlight and LED taillight (AA)
    4 TV/Cable/VCR Remotes (AA & AAA)

Energizer's best vs. Duracell's best:
    Energizer wins, hands down.

Panasonic Heavy-Duty vs. Energizer & Duracell's Mid-Range:
    Panasonic wins
    Energizer is close 2nd
    Duracell sucks Michael Jackson's houseguests, then Michael finishes 'em off after Duracell passes out from exhaustion (quickly).

20. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    WAX

YOUR OFF THE WALL.GET OFF THE SAUCE :)

BATTERIES LEAK FOR MULTIPLE REASONS, INACTIVITY IS FOR ONE

THE CHEMICALS BULGE UP, THERE CREATING A HARD MASS AND THEREFORE BREAKING THE SEAL........

DAVID HANDA. I WONT ARGUE WITH YOU, SINCE YOUR AN EXPERIENCE , EEH.DURACELL MAN :)

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR COMMENTS AND KEEP IT COMING,,,,,,,

HAPPY HOLIDAYS.......

BRUCE

21. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    duracell or energizer - whichever one is cheaper when i'm at the store. i don't see a lot of diff for my uses (discman, mostly).

22. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    energizer or duracell - interestingly the energizer bunny ads were a huge hit but in fact when people were asked about the ads they could not remember if they were duracell or energizer ads

23. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Hi, Bruce.

Used to use Duracel, Panasonic, Sony. Mainly purchased at Costco or Sam's.

Since you send us batteries, we only bought them once last week, and we did buy Energizer!

24. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Duracell for regular batteries.

Energizer for rechargable AA batteries. My Lord, a typical house must use 80 AA batteries at any given time when you add it all up. Remote controls, clocks, wireless weather station, the crucial shower radio...

25. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    tifosi - great point! the other thread re commercials i was going to say i liked the duracell bunny! obviously, i'm not the only one.