Got ripped off/Need your help, PLEASE | FerrariChat

Got ripped off/Need your help, PLEASE

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by joshuableu, Dec 11, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joshuableu

joshuableu Rookie

Dec 11, 2003
    Guys,
    In August I found an ad on Ferrari Parts Exchange for a Challenge Grill. It stated that the grill was brand new. I contacted the guy via e-mail and directly asked if the grill was brand new and in perfect condition, he replied that it was, "brand new with the Ferrari bin tag still on." After waiting a long time the part arrived. I opened it in front of my F-car mechanic. The grill was dented and scuffed and the bin tag was stapled on and was not the right tag for the part.
    I contacted the guy in FL. Initially he told me to send it back and he would refund my money. Long story short, he refuses to send the money and he has the grill. I asked Lyle at Ferrari Parts Exchange for some help, since he still had other ads from the guy, initially Lyle said he would help but now he won't answer my e-mails. I'm out $870. If I file a small claim suit, then I have to travel across country to BE IN court in FL. Does anyone know these guys? Supposedly they buy/sell exotics in FL. E-mail me direct. I HAVE ALL THE DOCUMENTATION TO BACK UP EVERYTHING I WROTE IN THIS POST.

THANK YOU TO ALL
    The culprits:
    <[email protected]> Greg King,38XX NE 16th Ave. Ft. Lauderdale
    <[email protected]> Joe Avino, 12X Golden Isles Drive, Hallandale, FL
    954-214-4603

2. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Sorry to hear that. I'll repeat my learned rule:

Never ever send money to anybody in FL until you receive the merchandise... unless you know them well, of course.

If you paid by credit card, protest the charge.

You can report it to the Better Business Bureau... beyond that, chalk it up to a lesson learned. Oh, and be sure to slam them on the Internet so at least your fellow computer literate people will know to avoid them.

3. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Small claims usually doesn't get this specific and if it did you can argue that the damage was done where you live since this is where you first noticed that the package was misrepresented. Get all of his info together including phone #, address, etc. and head down to your court house. Fill out the appropriate Civil Warrant or the like. It will be around $70-$100 to fill and have it served by a constable or process server. Anyway, HTHs.

4. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Dont we have any F-Chat brothers near Lauderdale who can "drop by" these guys for a visit?

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    get this thread over to Art. He can help with good advice. Also post this Guy's name all over the place so we don't help this guy with more part orders.
    Good luck. I hope you get your puond of flesh from this a--hole

6. MarkG

MarkG Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Agree with Brian C.....NEVER buy ANYTHING in Florida (I don't even buy Florida Orange juice - who knows what it REALLY is).....seems to be a mecca for every scam artist from cars to health care scams to home repairs ripoffs. There was an interesting thread a long while back about some poor schmuck who got ripped off down there on a BMW sale (and the local authorities EXTRAORDINARY efforts to nail the seller). Now I know this is just an stereotype for Florida, it just seems like a hotbed of scam artists, Martin @ Cavallino and other straightup guys must hate this....

NEVER deal with anyone with a Hotmail account....

If you mailed the money, file complaint w/Postal Inspector; interstate fraud is Federal offense; if you REALY want to nail the guys at any cost file complaint in FEDERAL court and have case remanded to your jusridiction - that way THEY come to YOUR state, not visa-versa....

7. joshuableu

joshuableu Rookie

Dec 11, 2003
    Guys,

Still trying to locate any F-chat lawyer who can advise on this OR any F-chat bud in FL that wants to help by stopping at this guys place.

I tried filing in my state, AZ, they said I would be wasting my filing fee money. Can I file in Federal here?

8. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    Your best bet is to ask Martin at Cavalino. he should be able to help you out.

9. ART360

ART360 Guest

Contact the US Postal authorites for mail fraud charges.

Art

10. joshuableu

joshuableu Rookie

Dec 11, 2003
    Maybe a dumb question but

who is "Martin at Cavalino."

11. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  12. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    He is a Ferrarichat member who also runs Cavallino Motors, you'll see his ad in the top left corner from time to time.

13. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    Josh, Martin is an FChat sponsor as well as a friend of mine. Call him at 305-867-7740. He is in Miami. Good luck.

14. joshuableu

joshuableu Rookie

Dec 11, 2003
    Thanks for the info on the fraud site!

15. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  16. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Thanks for the warning and sorry to hear about your experience. It makes me mad when I hear things like these. I almost ordered a brand new front spoiler for my 328 (they seem to have a good price on their webpage) from them. I'll hold it for now. Pls. keep us posted on developments regarding the aforementioned. Good luck.

17. joshuableu

joshuableu Rookie

Dec 11, 2003
    You mentioned "their Web site"

Who's web site? Avino's? I don't know of their site. Please tell me.

18. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Josh
    PM me the full addr...

19. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003