Ferrari's Top Management- philosophy? insight into future? Who's next? | FerrariChat

Ferrari's Top Management- philosophy? insight into future? Who's next?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Mark(study), Dec 17, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Ferrari's Top Management

What do you guys know? From these men's personalities, what can we deduce about the future direction of the Company? Product? Racing?

How do they groom their next level of executives and engineers for top positions?

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Mark, Mark, Mark, remember it's all about the cars. Who cares about the people who build the cars? If Ferrari makes a car and you like it, life is good. If Yugo makes a car and you like it, life is also good. That's the beauty of the free market place. Products sink or swim based on their own merit. Take the Ford GT, for example. Many people say that they would never spend $150k on a Ford, no matter how good it is. That's their bad. For me, I buy the car and not the badge. When I brought my Maranello, I was looking for a 4-wheeled motorcycle, and I found one. Some people call the Maranello an old-fart car. Trust me, I don't loose any sleep worrying about what someone else thinks about my car because, well, I get to go out and start that SOB whenever I want, and drive it where ever I want. Yes, life can be good. So enjoy it, don't analyze it.

DrTax

3. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    So well put Dr. Tax. I could not agree more. It is the car not the Badge. When I had my NSX people would make some funny remarks, I couldn't care less. At the time Honda was winning in F1 and guys like Senna and Prost did development (Final Chassis Tuning) on the NSX. The Man makes the Car. Although Partial to Ferraris I always have respected other marques, such as Lambo, Porsche, Corvette, etc.

4. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark

DrTax I was going to start a new thread- "Do you think Red is a good color?"

But I thought this other topic might get people blabbing and you never know where that's going to end up :)

5. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Luca Montezemolo The Basic Resume (from what little I know)

This man has done it all.
    From newspapers, yachting, football and drinks to bodycare products and sunglasses… you name it! All that representing a 26 years of hard work , a 26 years career of managing companies and turn them into success!

From "La Stampa" and "Publikompass" Italian newspapers, to being
    the Cinzano Managing Director, to doing some yachting in America's
    Cup and meanwhile organising the 1990 Football World Cup, becoming the main shareholder of aqua di Parma (a perfume and bodycare products manufacturer, setting up the WEB company (glasses and sunglasses) and becoming the Vice President of Bologna
    Football Club and the President of Modena Industrial Union

1974 Luca Montezemolo was installed as Director Of The Racing Division at Ferrari, while in this role the team won two world titles with Niki Laudain 1975 and 1977

1984 Montezemolo took on the demanding task of organising Italy's 1st ever attempt in the America's Cup yacht race.

1986 Luca was picked to take on the role of General Director in charge of
    co-ordinating the 1990 World Cup Finals to be held in Italy in 1990, the event was a massive success.

1991 Montezemolo rejoined Scuderia Ferrari as President and Managing
    Director. In his time in this role Ferrari has increased it's global presence and is now exporting 90% of production.

6. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    A few more insigts into how the Top Dog thinks.

Surrounded by so many corporate failures, any successful chief executive could be forgiven for relishing his position. Yet Luca Cordero di Montezemolo was seriously thinking of quitting last year.

Mr Montezemolo something of a national hero. Silvio Berlusconi, the rightwing media tycoon, even tried (unsuccessfully) to recruit him to his future cabinet the week before winning last year's general election.

But success is stressful, Mr Montezemolo says. "When you have won everything you only risk losing," he says, adding that "Enzo Ferrari [the company's late founder] once told me that everywhere, particularly in Italy, everybody will forgive you everything except success". It is a lesson he has not forgotten. "So I try to do my best, with passion, but sometimes I feel tired," he admits.

The 54-year-old's doubts about staying on at Ferrari were short-lived. It did not take much for Giovanni Agnelli, the Fiat family patriarch with whom he is always in close touch, to persuade him to continue. But what convinced him even more, he says, was the letter he received from 400 of his 2,000 employees the day after Mr Berlusconi announced he was offering him a cabinet post as industry minister. They urged him not to leave Ferrari. "It was the best day in my career," he recalls.

He remains cautious, however. "Success is difficult to manage because you learn more from failure than success," says Mr Montezemolo. "You also have to remain humble because there is always a danger that a problem is lurking around the corner," he adds.

Every employee who joins Ferrari receives from the chairman a poem printed on a card sporting the familiar Ferrari horse logo. "The real secret of success is enthusiasm," it starts. "Enthusiasm is the yeast that makes your hopes rise to the stars. Enthusiasm is the sparkle in your eye, it is the swing in your gait, the grip of your hand . . ."it goes on. "Enthusiasm is at the bottom of all progress.With it there is accomplishment. Without it there are only alibis," it ends.

At the same time, the company is reviving the Maserati brand it took over five years ago. "We shut down the Maserati factory for six months and relaunched the marque with new models." The gamble is paying off. Maserati sold 1,767 cars last year compared with only 626 in 1998, the year of the relaunch. He expects to sell 3,500 Maseratis this year with the number rising to 6,000 by 2004.

We have spent three years of deep benchmarking with the best in this area: Volvo, Porsche, Toyota. I strongly believe that if you want the best product, you need the best organisation and people and you must put people in the best condition to work," he explains.

A new €70m engine plant has just been completed. Inside, the latest robots and machine tools. The company is now about to build a new €45m paint shop.

Mr Montezemolo is already looking further ahead. He is considering developing a third leg to the company's two core businesses of sports cars and racing by pushing it into entertainment and retailing. If Fiat decides to float Ferrari on the stock market, he hopes this will release funds to develop new racing activities for Maserati as well as developing
    Ferrari theme parks related to its racing and car manufacturing.

This year we will earn €18m from royalties without even really trying," says Mr Montezemolo. The potential to exploit the brand is enormous. This month Mr Montezemolo, who recently joined the board of the French retailing and luxury products group Pinault-Printemps-Redoute, opened a Ferrari store outside his factory in Maranello. He is planning similar stores in New York, Hong Kong, Tokyo, London, Paris and Germany.

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Worrying comment ... how to devalue a brand!

Pete
    ps: Interesting thread, that is far more interesting than yet another lets have a look at red/white/black/purple Ferraris ... we have all seen them, do we need to turn this site into a cheap coffee table book.

8. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Does who is at the top matter?
    Yes. Lee Iacocca galvanized a Company, an Industry, arguably - even a Country.

Outside of F-1 racing fandom for Ferrari (24 hours is not the Cavallino Rampante's forte), I also agree that it's whatever marque's street car that a consumer (with interest in high-performance vehicles) most desires for whatever reason would, could and should be rolling in and out of their driveway.

My plans:
    I have my hands in many baskets. This is difficult for the short term, but hopefully will reap rewards, allowing me to put my hands in many other baskets, thereby enriching not only myself, but those within my orbit. No different than any half-ass biz plan Ferrari cooks up.

Because of my permanent 85% (and worsening as years go by) hearing loss which I do not wish to destroy even more quickly, odds are looking like I'll have a Lotus Esprit or a Honda HSC moving me from point A to point B, daily, if I'm feeling impractical.

Further, to reward myself with plan A - at least two sets of Ferrari's 12 cylinders up front for those more special occasions. One 2-seater from the classic era, one 4-seater from the modern era. Plan B - a modern mid-8 to occupy the 2 seater spot, and a classic will get the 4-seat spot. Either plan will hopefully allow me to acquire & be the caretaker of many a pleasurecraft from other marques as well.

I used to run hurdles - high and low - sometimes I hit a few but still come out on top. From a distance, it's not much unlike Ferrari - or any other firm's race for the finish line that never comes (there's always the next race - the next season). To my competitors who tried to outpsyche me before the race, it didn't seem to matter that each hurdle cleared was a victory in itself, it did matter to them that I was the one to beat.

The way I look at Ferrari is that like me, it tries to improve it's own time, while other marque's are hell-bent on beating Ferrrari's. I'm running my own race through life's hurdles now, improving my form sometimes, sometimes not - dancing with the devil and shaking the hands that will make or break my bank - and so is Ferrari - though both of us are on a track that holds no certainties of lines and boundaries anymore. That's one reason I love 'em so ******* much.

9. Ontogenetik

Ontogenetik Karting

Nov 2, 2003

+

> "It was the best day in my career," he recalls.
    >
    >He remains cautious, however. "Success is difficult to manage because you learn more from failure than success," says Mr Montezemolo. "You also have to remain humble because there is always a danger that a problem is lurking around the corner," he adds.
    >
    >Every employee who joins Ferrari receives from the chairman a poem printed on a card sporting the familiar Ferrari horse logo. "The real secret of success is enthusiasm," it starts. "Enthusiasm is the yeast that makes your hopes rise to the stars. Enthusiasm is the sparkle in your eye, it is the swing in your gait, the grip of your hand . . ."it goes on. "Enthusiasm is at the bottom of all progress.With it there is accomplishment. Without it there are only alibis," it ends.

Very nice. Thank you, both.

Mark, may I ask where the quote originated?

10. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Funny - Those very quotes attributed to Mr. Montezemolo were what inspired me to write the (selected) post. In short, the only words that really matter.

On Topic - Came across an article I'd not seen before regarding Lotus - in it, Victor Kiam of "I liked it so much, I bought the Company" (Remington Electric Shavers) fame is the man with the plan. Herewith, summary of what to expect over the next few years. Nutshell: Actual profits, higher production runs, yet an emphasis of quality over quantity (of dealers in some countries) on the already high-quality dealer level, huge increase in US, let alone worldwide sales, a Boxster competitor, reintroduction of Esprit in 2007...

At this juncture, Ferrari seems to be less verbal - but what do I know? Only that this is a good topic.

11. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I had tried to do some research on Ferrari upper managment maybe a year ago, but I never found anything more then the PR puff & fluff.

I don't remember where I kept these Quotes from (Business Week, or some financial newspaper articles from Europe) But I posted this thread because its hard to get any real business insight into Ferrari management... most is written in Italian :(

What I gained so far..... the fact that Luca has a successful background in sunglasses and skin care products.... that's bad news for the guys that think Ferrari already markets its name to too many products. The Man in charge has small product marketing in his blood. So I don't expect it to stop before it gets worse.

I still love to know who they are grooming for the next CEO? How people advance in Ferrari, who heads each department, and what's some of their personal background and personality. Best way to learn about a company...(just for fun) but it might help me guess if there going to go back to mid-engine 12 for 575 replacement if I knew a bit about the man that heads the 12 R&D. Or are they going to stay Retro Design for future cars?

Sure We can wait for Ferrari to tell us…. But that's no fun :)

12. atheyg

atheyg Guest

"The potential to exploit the brand is enormous" Enzo Ferrari must be rolling in his grave, great more cheap crap from China with Ferrari logos, soon we will have Ferrari logo wax, air freshners,flashlights etc., available at Wal Mart, Luca needs to write a book on how to dilute and cheapen a brand that took Enzo 60 years to create