330 Gt Underbody pan | FerrariChat

330 Gt Underbody pan

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by ArtS, Dec 17, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    I understand that my car originally came with an underbody pan that covered the driveshaft. I've also been told this item was usually removed because it collected oil and debris and generally was a fire hazard. Does anyone know what this pan did, if it was standard, and what it looks like? Is it worth having one fitted assuming I can find/make one?

Thanks,

Art S. 7919

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Might want to ask at http://www.tomyang.net
    Wonderful site for the wonderful years.

330GTC was the 1st Ferrari I ever saw in the flesh, er, metal - a tad over 30 years ago. Love at first sight.

3. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Thanks Tom,

I've been on Tom Yang's site since almost the beginning. You might be right, his site might be a better venue for this question.

I like the GTC too, for better or worse, mine is a series II 2+2.

Regards,

Art S.

4. Dave330gtc

Dave330gtc Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    I still have one in my garage from an old GTE that I used to own. If you are interested I will dig it out and take a picture. I am not sure what the purpose of it really was but I do remember that it covered basically the whole underside of the cockpit area. There is also a scoop cut in the front of it.

5. oldfart3

oldfart3 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    I've been looking to get or make a replacement for the pan on my Lusso.
    Do you suppose a GTE pan would fit or be a reasonable pattern for fabricating a new one.

6. Dave330gtc

Dave330gtc Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    #6 Dave330gtc, Dec 19, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have a friend with a Lusso. I will check with him to see if he still has a pan on his car. I think that the cars are different enough that the pans would not be the same size. This is a picture of my pan. It is 61" long and tapers from 21" at the top to 25" at the bottom.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. oldfart3

oldfart3 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Thanx - I'll measure the various dimensions on my Lusso, inclucing bolt holes, etc. If your pan would fit, I'd be interested in it.
    John Tarr

8. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    I believe the belly pan was to clean upthe aerodynamics. The 330 GT 2+2 prominently mentioned wind tunnel testing in a lot of the contemporary literature.

9. cheddah

cheddah Karting

Jan 8, 2004
    I agree with Rudy.

1965 330 GT 2+2