Weird 360 turning while backing noise | FerrariChat

Weird 360 turning while backing noise

Discussion in '360/430' started by Scotty, Dec 16, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    OK, I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in technical, but I'm taking this shot. When I back up my 360 and turn, I get a grabbing/pulling noise and sensation from the front tires. It almost feels as though a front wheel is "catching" or "sliding" a bit. The car has exhibited this behavior since I purchased it, on an intermittent basis. The dealer has checked the front suspension/tire/rim etc. with no abnormal findings. It feels a bit like the following--after I wash the car, if I set the emergency brake without first thoroughly drying the rotors/pads (i.e. a spirited drive) the rear e-brake will seem to stick after it is released, grabbing a bit as the car starts to roll. I wonder if I am having a similar issue with the front pads???

2. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Check your brake pads. There might be something caught there, or one is not seated right, or some strange kind of wear so that when the tire rotates in the other direction, it binds.

3. mfennell70

mfennell70 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    It may be doing exactly that. When the tires are really turned, the inside tire has to be turned quite a bit more than the outside. If it's not, as you back up the outside tire can get dragged across the pavement. Find a spot where it does it, then have someone else back the car up while you watch. Esprits can do this pretty badly. My buddy told me his '88 911 turbo does as well. In my experience, it's less of a problem with fresh (presumably more compliant) tires.

4. mfennell70

mfennell70 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    FYI: I drove an MR2 Turbo to work this morning. It does the same thing.