Would u drive Ferrari in the snow?? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Would u drive Ferrari in the snow??

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Johns, Nov 3, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    I would drive a Ferrari in the snow if there weren't salt on the roads.

I have already have some rust issues and the car has never been in the snow - don't want to imagine if I add salted roads into the mix.

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    About 15 years ago I made an appointment to bring my 308 in for an oil change. I woke up and it was snowing pretty hard. I drove 20 miles to Wide World of Cars which was owned by my friend Alberto Pedretti (The original mechanic Mr. Ferrari sent to the US to work with Mr. Chinetti). When I got there Alberto and I were the only ones who had made it in. We pulled my car into the empty dealership, locked up, climbed into Alberto's Alfa and headed out for breakfast.
    I think I got the ability to drive in the snow from my Dad. During WWII he was in the tenth mountain division based in Leadville Co. One time it was snowing so hard that the only gear he could get thru Loveland Pass in, in his 32 Chevy was reverse. First was gone and second didn't have enough grunt. Think about backing up the entire length of Loveland Pass next time you blast along towards Aspen in your 4 WD SUV....

3. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    The only time I would not drive in snow is when we got 36 inches of snow overnight two years ago in Anchorage. Since the roof is only about 45 inches high, I guess that would be driving under snow. My truck with 8 inches of lift was pushing powder with the headlights.

4. MadMaxx

MadMaxx Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Want a fun ride in the rain? Two words.. Dodge Viper.

Nothing like 13" wide steam rollers known as tires, coupled with cold ground and 500lbs/tq to make life interesting :)

They like to hydroplane, ask me how I know.

MM

5. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Got any pictures of the wreck? :)

6. MadMaxx

MadMaxx Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    No wreck, but I am permanently a few shades whiter ;)

James

7. jack

jack Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Lionel
    What do you think if I use Michelin Pilot Alpin winter tires and if I weigh the trunk down with 100 kg. Do you think it can dammage the suspension if I keep this supplementary weight for long time ?

Lionel

8. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    No need for ballast. In my Maser I use "ice mode" works fine.

9. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    did anyone see that episode of Top Gear (i think it was Top Gear) where McLaren Mercedes took their F1 car, the two seater version, out in the snow? they raised it a bit and stuck some snow tires on there i guess. but they "lapped" a couple times in the snow. given it wasn't at speed or anything, but it was an F1 car driving in the snow. i'll see if i can dig up the video somewhere.

10. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    Loveland pass in reverse!!!??? Your dad must be the man. I've done it a hundred times plus, and in the snow it's sometimes tricky even in a new AWD or 4WD car or truck that still has all the gears.
    David

11. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    I was brought up in Chicago... great place but I'm glad I moved away a long time ago. Ice storms are much more fun! :)

12. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I've driven the 365 in the snow about 3 times. Can you say "trailing throttle oversteer" boys and girls. Its a car. Drive the damn thing.

13. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    Crazy.

I still think you're all crazy.

If you want to go out in the snow get a Huskey(dog).

Cheers

Mine's a large whiskey on the rocks

Wazza

14. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    I drive in the rain, no issue but cannot remember the last time I actually saw snow.

I drove my 'ol Honda 750 - Four in snow and on the ice. Now that was a trick. I looked like the Flinstones when stopping with both feet on the ground.

aehaas

15. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    F1 Racing magazine had the article with Mika driving the McLaren F1 two-seater in Finland as part of a publicity event. It was on one of the ice racing tracks, and he was fish tailing it around the corners. If Mika can do it, so can we. Just watch out for the other guy staring at you driving a Ferrari in the snow and not paying attention to his own driving.

16. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    David
    The guys in the Tenth Mountain Division were and are a special bunch. Their gear was also something else. I wore my Dad's jacket for years and my son wears it now. It's still going strong. Last Xmas my son and I hiked up and skied down Highland Bowls. My Dad's 89. He doesn't do that anymore but he still skis on Ajax.
    Best