Points system (it really isn't fair) | FerrariChat

Points system (it really isn't fair)

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Jameel, Dec 17, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jameel

Jameel Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Canada
    I know this has been brought to light before. But after reading this interview (link below) with Luca Di Montezemolo, I have to agree with him 100%. Especially his last comment about Kimi, it really isn't fair that Kimi finished so close to MS considering he won 1 race compared to Michael's 6 wins.

Has the FiA diluted the sport by trying to hinder Ferrari's progression?

But with that said I have to admit the '03 season was one of the most exciting seasons in recent memory. The '02 season was boring, but is it Ferrari's fault they did so well. It's not fair to penalize somebody for doing well; we don't do this in any other sport (or society) except Motor Racing.

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/index.html?http://f1.racing-live.com/en/headlines/news/detail/031217133031.shtml

2. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    That's not really true. Every professional sport has to level the playing field to prevent domination by one team... boring is bad for income... and income is what its about, not "fairness" to the the teams... the teams want to make money!

But the normal method for leveling the playing field is the salary cap. You collect and cultivate and coach a set of players into a fine performing machine... but then their numbers allow them to demand staggering salaries... and then you can't keep those players. That can be very frustrating when you've been cheering that team as they grew from rookies to superbowl champs... but, you have to level the playing field.

Given "one player per car", a salary cap really doesn't work the same way for motor racing; worse, given that extreme car development is part of what makes F1 the sport that it is, limiting expense is not the most sensible path.

Sooo, they seem to have found a way to keep things exciting, even when one team wins half the races. Adjust the point system such that being on podium is good enough to keep you in the race... that reliably finishing every race is at least as important as winning a lot of them... that just being the fastest isn't enough to dominate.

To me, as a Ferrari fan, 2003 was much better than 2002! No, I didn't say that backwards. In 2002, the last half of the season was boring... the only thing interesting was cheering for Rubens to take second. The championships were largely in the bag. In contrast, in 2003 "my team" won a lot (many happy endings), but still there was great excitement and anxiety right up to the last race. Very cool.

With all that said, had Kimi won, I'd be a lot less positive about the point system!! It would have been *wrong*... so, maybe 10-7.5-5-4-3-2-1 would be better. ;)

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The argument I never quite get is, that this points system is targeted at Ferrari. Not really true. It is against a dominating team as Brian explains. Happened to be Ferrari last year (to some degree). But could easily be somebody else next year.

I'm a Ferrari fan (duh!), but every time I hear, that THEY are so unfair against us and made that point system against us, I can't help but cringe and think of whining. Sorry.

How about this: If Rubens had been a DNF in Suzuka, Schumi would have still won this championship BECAUSE of the points system. Because he would have gotten points that didn't even exist before (when 6th place would have been last points paying position).

4. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    i like the new points system. it rewards consistancy.

5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Depends upon what the organizers want to reward and/or penalize:

The old F1 system (10,6,4,3,2,1) rewards wins
    The current F1 system (10,8,6,5,4,3,2,1) rewards the front of the field
    The old (and current) F1 system does not penalize failure (7(9)-22 all equal 0)

The current NASCAR system rewards consistency
    The current NASCAR system penalizes failure (points all the way to position 43)

So, I believe (and you are free to disbelieve) that a points system that still rewards wins and top 4 but penalizes failure would benefit the sport. Perhaps (10,8,6,5,4,3,2,1,0,-1,-2,-3,-4,-6,-8,-10,-12,-14,-16,-18,-20) would so penalize failure that first corner accidents would simply have to be avoided if you are in the hunt for the chanpionship.

6. Jameel

Jameel Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Canada
    Good point about the salary cap (Brian), I never really thought of it that way.

I think everybody was okay with the points system this year only because Ferrari ended up winning. Had they lost, I think a lot more people would have voiced their opinion.

Guys don't get me wrong, as a spectator of the sport, I enjoyed '03 season a lot more then '02. But as a driver (especially) MS, I would have been very upset if I had lost by 1 point to Kimi.

I think we should except the fact that winning comes in waves for F1 teams. McLaren had streak, Williams had one and now it's Ferrari's turn. But I can't wait until next year, when (hopefully) Montoya wins the Driver's Championship.

They should revise the points system slightly in ’04. For example, give 2 points for pole and 1 point for setting the fastest lap in the race.

7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Not entirely true: What the current system also does is judge and reward the middle field. Peter Sauber has been fighting for years to extend the points positions from 6 to 8 to some points for his cars. He is right of course: The top three teams get the first six points positions. Then there is the middle field in which the Saubers ranked as good or bad as everybody else (like Jorday, Jaguar, Toyota). That is a hard sell to his sponsors.

The new system allows the middle field to be judged by their results. That part is fair IMHO. Whether 10-8 for first and second makes any sense is questionable however.

8. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Except that Kimi would have less points as well and MS would have won it at Indy the week before.