TVR | FerrariChat

TVR

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by robiferretti, Dec 17, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    OK shelby is out of the equation, what do you guys think about the tvr???? is it hard to import, i love the look, just think its hard to come across....thoughts? comments?

2. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Rob:

In the 1980's my dad bought a 280i TVR. It was British racing green with a tan top and had the German Ford 145hp engine. It looked great but was a total piece of ****. After several months it caught on fire and was a total loss. That was probably the best thing that could have happen to that car.

For my money, I would buy a new Corvette (you have one) or a nice used Lotus. For $35K you should be able to buy a nice late model Lotus that has been well maintained. Then again, you can have a nice 308 for that type of money.

Ken.

3. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Rob, I imagine you are inquiring about the new models. They are not imported and probably will not be anytime soon.

I have a '69 Vixen S-2 which I have had over 20 years. The production runs on the early cars were only about 250/year and they have the infamous Lucas electrics which could be problematic, hence the old joke - "why do the English drink warm beer? . . . they all own Lucas refrigerators".

4. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    well pretty much i am looking for a car i can buy for under $70,000
    ferrari's service cost too much and i will drive the car too hard to consider purchasing one at this point in time. I am leaning towards a 96-97 porsche turboat this point in time

5. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Rob:

For $70K, I would say go with the 1996-97 Porsche Turbo. They seem to hold up well against abuse. The air cooled engines last forever (at least in non-turbo form), but the turbos seem to be more needy than the non-turbo's. I would stay away from the TVR. Parts and service will be difficult in the USA.

Ken

6. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny

Ahh my favorite, the 993 Turbo- beautiful fast car!! Good choice.

Alternatives that I can think of off the top of my head- most being used:
    Dodge Viper GTS
    Porsche 996 C4S
    Porsche Turbo S and turbo it? (that'd be different)
    Ferrari Testarossa
    Lamborghini Countach
    Mercedes SL500
    Acura NSX and turbo it
    Maserati Coupe
    Lotus Esprit V8TT

7. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Where's Faisal on this thread...? i have some curious inquiries regarding TVRs... Faisal, i'd be honored if you'd PM me or email me, [email protected], at your convenience... Thanks...

8. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    I am here. Didn't really have much to contribute, since my username indicates a certain predisposition... Besides, modern TVRs are not available in the US.

All your enquiries are curious, DES -- PM me anytime.:)

robiferetti - I would recommend an Esprit V8 for the following reasons:
    Best handling
    Very impressive power, and can be tuned up easily
    At least as exotic/exclusive as the rest, if not more
    Later models are fairly low maintenance
    Decent sized trunk

Whatever you get, good luck, and be sure to post pictures!

Best,
    Faisal.

9. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    HA HA HA...!!!

i'm going to PM you right now...

10. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    DES
    OBTW - that is THE BEST EVER SEEN IN HISTORY avatar. I did not think anyone could beat M-man's hypnotic anime, but you figured out a way to make money off of Rob.
    I'm dyin' over here.
    rt

11. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Having owned one for a long time, I do want to say that parts are dirt cheap for older TVRs and there are many sources. Additionally, they are simple to work on.

12. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Thanks, SNJ... i really did it as a joke, but with being such a post whore and all, it's actually not a bad idea... :)
    i would never do that to Rob, though...

:)

13. castex

castex Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Rouen, France
    Full Name:
    Thomas Daniels
    TVRs are fab. They look great, sound amazing, go like stink.
    They do suffer from a reputation for being unreliable, but they're improving all the time. In terms of speed/value for money there is no competition, and look out for an improved showing at Le Mans next year.

I've no idea about importing one to the States, but what a coup if you could!

Have a look at www.pistonheads.com for further information.