Unsupervised trips approved for Hinckley | FerrariChat

Unsupervised trips approved for Hinckley

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by wax, Dec 18, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Google News results for "John Hinckley"

If a person pulls a trigger on a loaded weapon - while aiming at the President of the United States, seriously maims several Federal Employees in the process and is found Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity... then years later that individual is considered by One (1) Judge sane enough to have unsupervised visits, then that Judge is either Legally Insane or a Clinton Appointee.... or both.

2. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    That this nut-job is alive is what I find appalling. He should have been cooked-off a couple of decades ago.

3. fanatic1

fanatic1 Guest

Nov 1, 2003
    columbus
    Full Name:
    philip
    The only person who should be able to say if Hinckley can get out is James Brady.........lets hear what he thinks.

4. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    You know, if you took both his arms and both his legs and ground them off in a meat grinder; right down to the nubs. After the wounds heal, he would not be much a threat to society....

5. MarkG

MarkG Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Mark
    When people found 'legally insane' become 'sane', they can be released - that's the law, and it doesn't matter WHO appointed the judge; Hinkley is not the first person freed under the insanity laws (remember Dan White?) and wont be the last. A 'Clinton appointee' is no more responsible for this than a 'Reagan/Bush/Nixon' Supreme court is responsible for appointing 'Bush lite' to the White House. Its like the speed of light - 286k mps- you may not like it, but its the law.

Reminds me of Ed Kemper (The Gentle Giant) in Santa Cruz back in the 70's - he was deamed 'insane' after killing a relative or 2, went to the nut house, was released some time later on semi-supervised 'parole'; The day the local Psychiatrist signed Ed off as being fully 'recovered' and free to be unsupervised, Ed had his mother's and mother's best friends head in the trunk of his car. And that was just the beginning.

Personally I think this judge, like hinkley's jury, has made a mistake. I don't think Hinkley is well, but I also don't think he fit the M'Naghten rule or Durham rule either - he knew what he was doing, he knew it was wrong and it was not an irrestable impulse.

John should, IMO, be serving LWOP.

6. ART360

ART360 Guest

You guy forget: Hinkley was acquitted of all charges. He was found legally insane however. In this instance, the government when they opposed his request, hired two psychologists to evaluate him. Both of their recommendations were to allow this. The government was put in the position that they could not win at a hearing, because their own experts supported Hinkley's request.

The specific law says that the Judge SHALL allow this.... Shall in legal terms directs the Judge in his actions, he has no discrension in this matter.

Art