SHIPPING AND OTHER COSTS FROM ENGLAND | FerrariChat

SHIPPING AND OTHER COSTS FROM ENGLAND

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by mwhite, Dec 18, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mwhite

mwhite Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Matthew White
    I've been looking for a 308 for some time now but I have another question. My girlfriend is from England and is home for Christmas. I will be visiting her right after Christmas and would like to pick up an old style mini for her for a present. They are more plentiful over there (obviously). Does anyone know what kind of costs that I will incur to ship it here, taxes, etc. I live in AL, so emissions and everything else shouldn't be a problem, I don't think. Hell, you be driving a car like Buford T. Justice and not even get a second look. Any help is appreciated.

Matt

2. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    There are many for sale in the US with Left Hand Drive, which would be better if she is driving it over here.
    Would suggest the 'Old Car Trader' magazine (sold with Auto Traders at many convienience stiores) and certainly through Hemmings available about everywhere - in Alabama would suggest Books-A-Million or Anderson's Bookland in addition to Barnes and Nobles.
    Don't let anyone know about no emmisions testing in Alabama and let's keep it our secret. :)
    Roll Tide anyway, dammit.
    rt

3. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    There are quite a few importers for Minis in the US. One is in Texas, another in New Jersey, one in California. Check Ebay for completed transactions.
    The shipping costs look OK, at first glance....Once you add it up, it amounts to half of a mini.
    -You have to pay for the transport, it was $2K, from Holland to Oakland, CA. Use an enclosed container, and do not share it with another car. Do not use the Roll on/ Roll off ship. I have heard horror stories.
    -You have to pay for ground transport on either side (probably trailered, since you do not want somebody to trash your new Ferrari). For me, it was $150, from Kesteren to Rotterdam. For you, count the cost from whatever port (Houston, East Coast to Alabama). Add at least $500, IMO.
    -Age of the car does matter. If it is a 60s car, it is no problem. But EPA will want to see bumper and headlight conversions, as well as emissions for later cars (73 and later for me, to get into California).
    -Customs fees. This is the big one. I think it was a percentage of value, and it was 1K for me.
    -Port fees. Thank your union brothers for this one. Unloading fee, storage fee, crane fee, pick your nose fee.... This was another $700, or so.
    -Ooops, we forgot about insurance. Probably $500 for marine insurance, I got mine from Hagerty.
    -Bribe for guy unloading it, so that he actually does something top help you get the car out of the container at the port's unloading station.

This is all assuming that you are not doing a door to door service (like Cosdell), and trying to save money.
    Shipping also takes about 2 months from start and finish.

I would find one at a Mini place in the USA.
    Of course, if you find a totally unique car while over there, she falls in love with it, I would get it for her, anyway !

Hope this helps
    Luke

4. mwhite

mwhite Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Matthew White
    thank's for your advice. It certainly sounds like already here in US is the way to go.

Thanks,

Matt

5. Ferrari_UK

Ferrari_UK Formula 3

Dec 6, 2002
    England
    Full Name:
    Jeff Howe
    MWhite...

Call or mail me if you want to come and look round our facilities in the New Year. We have (nearly) everything you'll need online for your 308 !

6. Inter911

Inter911 Rookie

Dec 1, 2003