Quick law question before my final!! (UCC Article 3) | FerrariChat

Quick law question before my final!! (UCC Article 3)

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by KennyH, Dec 18, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    I am not 100% clear on the following after reviewing my text book and notes:

- Holder in due course and the holder in recourse- can someone explain basically what they are and the parties involved?

-Guarantor and collection guarenteed?

Thank you very much!

2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Kenny, dont you have a law dictionary ? :) Maybe there is 1 online. I'd help you but I didnt see those terms this semester

3. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Thanks guys, so I know understand:

holder in due course
    n. one holding a check or promissory note, received for value (he/she paid for it) in good faith and with no suspicion that it might be no good, claimed by another, overdue or previously dishonored (a bank had refused to pay since the account was overdrawn). Such a holder is entitled to payment by the maker of the check or note.

guarantor
    n. a person or entity that agrees to be responsible for another's debt or performance under a contract if the other fails to pay or perform.

However, I'm still struggling with "collection guaranteed", and "holder in due recourse"-- now I'm stuck on an "accomodation maker"? Sorry for the inconvenience!

Thank you again!

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Are you DEScribing law or prostitution advertisements?

5. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

Holy crap I about fell asleep reading that, but the headache it gave me kept me awake. Glad you guys do the lawyer'in and not me!

6. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Well if anyone cared, it SEEMS an accomodation maker is a co-signer, basically someone who signs the back of anothers check and is liable if the payment doesn't go through. A guarantor is a very similar but has more protection against being liable and then an accomodation maker.

A holder in due course cannot be defended against personal defenses (i.e. fraud in the inducement), only real defenses (i.e. fraud in fact).

Enjoy! If I'm wrong, please correct me, even if it's after the test...

7. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    kenny, if the test is over, dont sweat it. you cant chage anything now. At least thats what i say. I guess im that one kid who always goes back to the textbook after a test to see if i did a problem right.

8. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Speaking of the UCC. I have heard of people filling some kinda of paper work that makes them exempt from pay up the milk money to Uncle S.