HELP: Anyone deal in vintage horse saddles? | FerrariChat

HELP: Anyone deal in vintage horse saddles?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by stokpro, Dec 17, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    I'm trying to help a friend sell his Gene Autry series (made by the famous Ed Gilmore just before he died) vintage saddle from the late 50's. Most museums dealing in Gene Autry memoribilia and collectibles laugh at the idea of "buying" anything... they only accept donations. Considered eBaying it, but I don't think it'd reach the right audience. After all, this saddle is valued at $20k+ because of its rarity. Any ideas/suggestions on how and where to possibly sell this thing would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Andrew

2. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard
    Last time I ran into an old musician friend of mine, he was working as some sort of "currator" of items for the Autry Museum of Western Heritage in Los Angeles (in Griffith Park I believe). Have you tried them? I assume the point of their museum is the actual historical items from the old west and not items tied into Autry himself, but perhaps they can point you somewhere?

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'll ask my brother with a ranch (and longhorns). He might be game!

4. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Also Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo coming in two months.
    LOT'S o' high rollers there!

5. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    thanks slim... i tried them already and they weren't interested. :( if you can think of anyone/anywhere else please let me know. thanks for your help!

6. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas

Thanks speedy... let me know what he says.

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I just left a message for him in the barn! He went to town in the dually truck. I'll direct him to this post!

The other person that comes to mind is Houston restuarant owner Jim Goode, who has antique Texana displayed in his facilities.
    They have a heavy silver decorated saddle in the I10 facility, and a full size buffalo mount, guns, stuff like that. Try phone info for Goode Company Restuarants, and ask for Jim or his son. HTH.

Jim MacInvale owns Gallery Furniture here in Houston, and he's a Ferrari and a Rodeo guy.

My .02