eBay 308 | FerrariChat

eBay 308

Discussion in '308/328' started by Ken, Dec 18, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
  2. racedecknc

racedecknc Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Winston Salem
    Full Name:
    Ed
  3. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I never knew US spec ferraris from that time period had 85mph speedos too. I gues even ferrari owners couldnt hack the higher insurance caused by speedos with higher readings.
    Even i would have gone to the bank and taken out a loan for 15k for this car. If it is how he describes it, it is work 10k more, which, again if hes not lying about the condition, he could have gotten for it.

4. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    for what its worth guys there was a white 80 something 308 gts "low miles" on the collector car trader for $12,500. now it has a new phone number and is $20k or best offer. i guess someone bought it to flip it. i am in the market big time but i want a carb car or no car. if i can figure out how to post a link for the ad i will.

5. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    For what its worth, every 308 that I have seen that has sold for 15k has always taken 20k to make it right...
    It sounds like it was one of his project cars,
    If it was really that nice it would have sold for much more.

6. Exoticbro

Exoticbro Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    St.Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Chuck Ligon
    The buyer on that 308 got a pretty good deal.
    Hopefully he knew what he was getting in to.

7. racedecknc

racedecknc Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Winston Salem
    Full Name:
    Ed
    how common is it to see one sell in that price range?

s'cuse the newbie question

Ed

8. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3522

He just finished the timing belts himself and says it runs. Although, he must be a fantastic mechanic b/c it did it all in about 2-evenings of work per his post above (look at the dates on the posts).

9. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    damn. I would have snatched it up as well and just driven the GTS back to Texas!

10. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    The auction started on Dec 18th and ended on Dec 18th. Most likely struck a deal and sold it off ebay for more than the auctions shows.

11. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    if i had known it was a board members car i would have been very interested, gold color and all. i do all my own work and have access to a friends machine shop that races a NHRA dragster. there is no way in hell it would have cost ME 20k for "fix" whatever the car needed. not trying to argue with whoever posted that, just stating fact as it relates to my situation. try working on and getting parts for these newer Z28 camaros, trans ams and the modular V8 mustangs. the parts are way more than a 308 and THEY ARE HARDER TO WORK ON. due to lack of room and everything bieng done from underneath. unless the crank , rods, and block are toast there is no way a rebuild on a 308 motor can be THAT ( unknown high dollar? ) much. sorry to be venting but i have looked at 3 308 s in the last few weeks and they were 25 to 30k and were junk. i would rather have one that was driven, than one that has sat forever and is a fire trap on wheels due to rot and age. i am the guy who posted the " beater " thread. i have 1st hand knowledge of several drivable 308 selling for under 10k and bieng cut up for parts. one was driven around, flogged to determine the health on the drive train and then chopped up. i would love to buy one of these, take it apart ( like DAVE) and fix it. you guys fly ALL the time on large aircraft have no clue what goes on UNDER THE SKINS!!!! and they fly. cars dont. sorry needed to vent, the car seemed nice to me.

12. Mhampson

Mhampson Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Michael Hampson
    The car was (is) mine. I posted it on eBay this morning and got a "buy it now" within three hours. The deal is not done, but I think it will be in the next couple of days. I was not interested in bickering over price, giving false expectations, or having to re-list because I wanted too much for the car.

I did the timing belts myself (first time). The rear took about 2 hours and the front took about four hours because I could not figure out how to get the A/C compressor out (thanks for the assistance for those who helped with my technical question). I also rebuilt the window motors (those cables can get confusing!!!) and the rear view mirror. There were a couple of electrical glitches that I fixed too. The car was a bargain.

I was totally honest about the condition. It does run well, may need minor carb tuning, leaks a little oil, but otherwise is extremely clean and has never been wrecked. The good part was the history is well documented through the three past owners. I even have the mainenance record when the car was received at the dealer and went through the pre sale inspection.

Most of your posts above were very comlimentary and I really appreciate the "bargain" comments. That was what I was aiming for. Money was not the object, but rather a satisfied customer.

Unfortunately, I haven't enjoyed the past couple of automotive projects I have had. The previous one (a '64 Corvette) sat untouched in the garage, and I thought with the Ferrari, that would change. However, I just failed to get too excited about it and guess that I have grown out of the car tinkering phase of my life for the moment (I'm sure it will be back!)

Thanks for the compliments on the "fortune" of the buyer. If anyone is interested in the car in the event that the deal falls through (as well as the others in line), please send me a line and I will contact you if things don't pan out.

Michael

13. racedecknc

racedecknc Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Winston Salem
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Best of Luck, Michael, I hope the car goes to a good home.

Ed

14. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Michael - Was 15K the actual sales price then? Sounds like a deal! :)

15. Mhampson

Mhampson Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Michael Hampson
    $15K was the price. Within two hours of the auction starting, I had a buy. Then within another 20 minutes, I have another guy offering $1500 more if I would break the contract. I couldn't ethically do that, so the car sold (is a done deal) for $15k.

It was a great deal. Definately. No doubt.

16. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry

Nice work - And kudos to you for not breaking your original deal! Wish there were more people like that - Especially in the Ferrari World!

17. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah