cam timing sprokets | FerrariChat

cam timing sprokets

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ria, Dec 16, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    i am changing the timing belts on my 308gtsi i know the owner before me change the 2 cam timing sprokets cause thay spon. goin from plastic to metal my question is do i change the other 2 form plastic to metal or aluminim or live it alone . i have a feeling that if i do NOT change them i am taking a big chance. i, need som advice on this and where can i get them at a good price. thanks.

2. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Aluminum available from GT Parts in AZ. $640 for 4, so between $300 and $350 for 2. Great quality. I bought a set.
    HTH

3. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Stay with what you've got. The plastic ones are pretty rugged, I don't believe we've had a report of a plastic cam gear actually failing.

The only failures I've heard of is that the rims are fragile. The rims can be re-attached with a high-strength slow cureing ePOXY & clamped until it's cured. I repaired a broken rim 3 years ago & the rim still was rock solid when I checked it a few months ago.

4. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    as allways i like to thank both of you for the info

5. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    ria--I am sure trutlands has some used metal ones--but if it were me--I would seriously consider upgrading to the "rounded tooth" system that has been mentioned a few times in past posts--someone in SC and also Forza sell them I think.... rumor has it that they last a lot longer that the square tooth belts. look back thru old posts in the "old system" archives

6. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    To the best of my knowledge, Ed Gault (irfgt) only had a pilot run of 10 sets made. He sold the last one on eBAY over a year ago. Not sure what's being offered in Forza since never got around to subscribing.

7. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    i am thinking that Nick forza nas something similar for sell--I recall seeing some that had indexing holes 360 degrees on them but not sure about the teeth

8. Robert Johnson

Robert Johnson Karting

Dec 8, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Robert Johnson
    Verell,
    I contacted Ed Gault regarding his pulley set up just the other day. He e-mailed me back that the timing pulley program had ended and they were no longer available. Too bad, it looked like a better way to go.

9. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Nick's gears are conventional square tooth drive pulleys. Nicely made from billet AL & hard anodized. Their unique feature is the add'l holes mentioned above. He also sells rebuildable tensioner bearings.

Somewhere in the archives is Nick's lengthy post where he questions how much testing Ed's system had received & Ed's reliability statements. Good counter arguments that should be read.

I still think Ed's system is a good one & is potentially much more reliable.

10. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Verell,
    My thought on Ed's system is that it does appear to be more durable, and probably has less risk of a teeth shearing off, but I think the labor savings of changing could be debated. For example, in my case, my cars have been serviced based on miles, not time, so regardless, the cams must come out every 15k miles, and at that time the cam seals should be replaced (don't have to, but if not, they can, and do leak sometimes). To replace the cam seals, the belts have to come off, so I always have my mechanic replace the belts (extra $40 or so). At the 30k the tensioners are replaced as well. So for me (based on miles example) Ed's solution doesn't really save much. But if servicing is based on TIME (most common for most Ferrari owners), then it can make sense, since the valves don't necessarily need to be adjusted, after 5 years....so you can just change fluids and may be plugs and go your merry way.

I would still consider such a system, if it were available, AND I was planning to keep my car for a long time.