308 fuel injection check valve | FerrariChat

308 fuel injection check valve

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by djgecko, Dec 18, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. djgecko

djgecko Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Navarre, FL
    Full Name:
    DJ Geck
    Hey, anyone know how to fix the check valve that is located near the firewall? The flange that the hose is attached to is broken off. Based on the info in my manual this is a check valve for the fuel injection system. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks DJ

I tried getting the jpg attachment to load, and have not been successful. Any help on this would be appreciated as well, I've gone through the browse and get the file then click on "add file" and then done. No attachment.

Thanks again,

DJ

2. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Are you sure you don't mean "air" injection check valve?? Are you getting exhaust noise coming out of it? I have heard that the same check valve is used on some GM cars. You can simply loosen the clamps, remove the unit and take it over to your local auto parts store. Maybe they can match one up for you.

3. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I just found this info in my saved file. Someone posted it on the FerrariList back in April. It refer to the air injection check valve that you need for your 308.

The emissions control "gulp" valves are GM parts numbered 22048214 and I believe they were used on the 250 sixes. My information is a couple of years old, but at that time these valves were available only in black as opposed to the plated originals.

4. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    Hi, DJ--if we talking about the same thing, it is an air injection check valve. On my car, an '85, there are 2 of them--one for each manifold. They are attached to air pipes on one end; on the other a cloth-covered hose. I just replaced both of mine--they tend to rot out from the inside.

The good news is that they are cheap! The GM part #, which you can get at any GM dealer, is GM-220 48212 and costs around $24. Aftermarkets are also available at Advance Auto, Pep Boys, etc for around $11 or $12. One brand which they carry is GP Sorenson # 779-2929. I just bought one from Advance Auto last week for $12. It's the same part and fits perfectly.

Whatever you do, do not break the air tube which it is attached to--I hear that it's super expensive. Since the valves rot out, they often will not just unscrew. I cut mine off with a Dremel tool cutter. It's very light metal and cuts through very quickly--so be careful not to cut into the threads on the air pipe. What i did, was to cut a slit through the large , 1" nut attachment on the valve. I then stuck a large screw driver into the slit and spread it so I could spray some lube into it, such as liquid wrench. It then very easily unscrewed. Once again, don't stress the air pipe at all durining the procedure--when unscrewing the old valve or screwing on a new one , use a wrench on the welded nut on the pipe to keep it from flexing. The new valve just threads right on--use a 1" wrench for torquing it. After that , reconnect the hoses and you're set !

Good luck, DJ--if you have any Q's feel free to email or call me.

5. djgecko

djgecko Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Navarre, FL
    Full Name:
    DJ Geck
    Gary and Doc,

YEP! That's it! LOL! Thank you so much ! I think I can handle this one myself. Seems a shame to take such a simple thing to a mechanic.

I appreciate your help on this. My manual doesn't really give much help on the type of part it is, and I've got pictures of it but for some reason I can't send the attachment through this thread.

The hoses seem to be in pretty good repair, it's just the metal has fatigued somewhat and broken off in the hose itself. Thanks for the part numbers as well! :)

DJ

6. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    DJ:
    The attachments cannot be larger than 640x480 or you'll get the above symptoms.

Glad you got resolution on your check valve.