any 348 tb owners here? | FerrariChat

any 348 tb owners here?

Discussion in '348/355' started by NYJETSFAN, Nov 4, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr
    thinking about buying a 91 348 tb! or are they 348 gtb`s ?
    how do they rate against the 348 ts ?

why are the 355 called gtb`s if the 348 are 348 tb`s

Thanks..
    Arie.

2. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    I'm also looking at a '91 348tb for my first, and I think it was '94 they were renamed to 348 GTB. The 348 and Mondail's both got the "t" for Transverse engine - front to back instead of sideways in the back. Lowers the centre of gravity a fair bit but means the engine has to be dropped for the belt work.

3. Chuck550

Chuck550 Karting

May 15, 2001
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    The engine in the 348 is mounted longitudinally (vs. the 308/328 which have transversely mounted engines) Transverse means "across", side-to-side. The "t" designation instead refers to the orientation of the transmission, which is transverse ("traversale"), behind the engine at the rear of the car. This was done to keep the powertrain (engine+tranny) from becoming too long for the car. The orientation of the engine does not have as much to do with the center of gravity as does the absence of an oil pan beneath the engine. The 348 is a dry sump setup (no oil pan), so the engine and center of gravity are lower than in the 308/328 models, which are not set up as dry sumps. You are correct in that the engine has to be dropped in the 348 because the belts are inaccessible in the portion of the engine directly behind the seats and gas tanks. Same goes for the 355. The 360 has a removable panel behind the seats for access to the belts without engine removal.

The "b" designation mean "berlinetta", a hard-top two-door coupe and the "s" designation stands for "spider", which in the case of the 348 is actually a targa (removeable) roof. The GTB/GTS designations (berlinetta and targa models) were introduced for the 1994 model year. However, these cars were sold only in Europe, not the U.S. The U.S. had only the true spider convertible available during the 1994 and 1995 model years.

4. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr
    Anyone have any pics of your 348 tb`s?
    thanks for the info too,
    Arie..

5. Noelrp

Noelrp Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2001
    SSF
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Arie,

This is probably not a good pic of a 348 but I'll share it anyway .....

6. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr
    How come your 348 tb Speciale has no fins? looks great, i guess you can do that to any 348?

send me more pics if you can, thanks

7. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    Thanks Chuck - didn't realize I was confusing the transverse transmission with the engine.

Noel - great wheels.

8. brm

brm Karting

Apr 26, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Bruce R. Morehead
    Noelrp, Is the car in front of your car grigio? I have been trying to find another grigio 348tb. Do you know who the owner is and where it is located?

9. Noelrp

Noelrp Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2001
    SSF
    Full Name:
    Noel
    The 348 in front is Vincent's Nero 348 with chrome wheels(nice combo).

Grigio 348 is rare color and I havent yet to see one in person. Arie, the door panels are aftermarket panels. The previous owner had it installed, i believe it's made by koenig.

Here's another pix, taken from our previous Bay Area drive.

10. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    What is that red chevy doing in the background ?