Any upgrades or work planned this winter? | FerrariChat

Any upgrades or work planned this winter?

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Bob308GTS, Dec 2, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    I've just started a complete suspension rebuild, new shocks, ball joints, bushings, anything that may need replacement. What are you guys doing to your Fcar during the off season?

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Nothing as big as your project, but smaller stuff around the car: Need to finish up the GPS, some more work on the stereo system and add another fire extinguisher.

Post some pics of your project!

PS: Already replaced the pedals and steering wheel on my other "Ferrari". The F1 sim...
    :)
    Actually planning on setting up a second station for human vs human races.

3. Dave330gtc

Dave330gtc Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    #3 Dave330gtc, Dec 2, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    Dave, that is great, when do you expect to have the 330 back on the road.

Andreas, you need to have 20 sim setups so we can have a real race :)

5. Dave330gtc

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    #5 Dave330gtc, Dec 2, 2003
  6. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    Hope to see it next year,I have gone that far on other " normal " cars but not a Ferrari

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    After I sat in the 330 at Continental (was looking at it for a friend of mine) I fell in love with these cars. Beautiful. Can't wait to see yours Dave. Keep going!

8. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I've had 3 jobs in progress recently/currently.

First, I did the WP on my 308 after RA in the fall. In the "while you are in there" category, I had the passenger tank re-sealed and replaced all the fuel hoses.

Second, I am in the middle of doing the diff seals now and sealing the motor mount studs with Permatex #2. There are another a set of while you are in there jobs too (like cleaning up and painting the motor mounts). I have the rear header shield to clean up (it has the axial spray pattern from the diff seals going south) and then re-filling with fluids.

Third, I've had a wide band AF meter built and a couple of bungs in the B-pipes installed. The unit is being calibrated in the next couple of days and I should have in a week or so. It can then be installed in the car. When operational, it will help with (re-) jetting the Webers (the combination of the lumpy cams and big venturis means different jets). None of the hardware with the exception of the sensor in the pipe will be visible. I need to find a neat way of routing the cables through the firewall.

In the category of winter project planning. I am expecting fewer jobs than last year (when I did the chassis bushings/suspension bushings and shocks/rack) and am looking at the carb linkages (operation), the orientation of the race seats (to provide more headroom), and some changes to the chassis alignment (camber, castor, rear toe) to improve track performance. I am also trying to get a thicker front ARB made to reduce body roll.

Feels like I'll be chomping at the bit to get the car out when we've got 3 feet of snow on the ground.

9. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    I'm taking the easy way out this winter... Going to have Continental do a complete Major service on my 328. It's been about 5/6 years since the last one was done. I also need them to check my A/C too. I may also talk to them about doing some minor body/paint work on the car too.... We'll see.....

As for next spring, i plan on expanding my 2 car garage to a 4-car garage and placing hot water heating pipes in the floor. Then next year i can take the challange and start on my own service on my 328. Will probably start out small, like oil/filter changes, that kind of stuff. I may replace the stereo too, the CD player isn't working, i know, who needs a radio in a Ferrari??? Well, sometimes i need a little background music, especially when cruising long distances....

I have been thinking about getting a TUBI exhaust added, but i want to hear one first on a 328 before i do that.... Maybe at Gingerman???

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The tubi is a must Tod. I've heard the difference, it is astounding for the 328 as well as the 308 QV. Of course not so much difference towards a carburated 308.

However I'm waiting with the tubi until the catalysts come out. There are different versions of tubis, some made for the catalysts. I don't want that. I want the free flowing no nonsense loud badass tubi. So I'll have to wait a few years.

11. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I heard a Black Testarossa with a tubi out on an Arizona Highway in the evening. One of the most beautiful sounds that I've ever heard in my life! :)

12. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    All the front parts are cleaned and painted, should be in the 40's this weekend, time to start taking the rear suspension apart>

13. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Hi Dave,
    You know the front ends of the GTS/GTC and the 365 2+2's look so good without the bumpers (along with an incredible change on the rear looks of the 365 2+2 w/o bumper and t-light bezels) I find myself so tempted to do something stupid and go without or with small nerf's.

Are you going to paint it yourself? Color?

Hey, I think I know that engine stand!

PS-remember Cycle Mania tomorrow, I'll probably get there about 3-4 pm, hope you can make it.

Bill

14. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yes. I'm planning on having some Back Surgery in January to HOPEFULLY alleviate,at least SOME of the Constant pain that I am in. Oh,I'm sorry. You meant my car! Yes,when I get "fixed",I would like to get my Baby in just for a complete fluid change and thorough inspection. Just to make sure that all is well.(snug). I had belts 3 years/4500 miles ago,so those should be O.K. for now. Other than that,she should be O.K. for a few more years until the Big One!!! :(

15. Dave330gtc

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    Bill, You are correct on the engine stand. The body is at a local shop to be painted in January I hope. Color not exactly determined yet but will be a dark metallic gray of some sort. The chrome is out being redone now. I used to have an Alfa Spider with a similar nose that I wanted to leave the front bumpers off. It would be a clean look but obviously not original. My plan now is to try to be there tomorrow around 4:00. I will look for you. Dave

16. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Dave-

I've got to hand it to you, you've taken on quite a project.

What you're doing is far beyond my capabilities!

Bill, wish I could join you tomorrow, but I have a previous commitment.

17. Dave330gtc

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    The project grew in scope as it progressed. I didn't anticpate going this far when I started but I kept on finding additional work to do. Once the decision was made to paint the car, the floodgates and my wallet really opened up.

18. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    Great thread Bob!
    I've got a few things started and complete this winter on my 308. My seat re-skin project is now complete. I started this late last year documenting the procedure with photos for a future write-up. I am now very pleased with the results. The console is out to flush out and re-lube the shift box, and do some minor leather work. The fluids are drained from the sump & gearbox I'll then replace the shift shaft seal. I'm changing the gearbox lube and going to Redline. Then bleed the brakes with fresh fluid.

When I get all this done I can start on block sanding & buffing the front bonnet. Refinish the top & roof spoiler. Hmmm, I'd better get back to work or I may not finish by spring!
    Dave

19. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    This past week the Lambo got new timing belt and idler bearings (it took 6 months to find the bearings). The Nissan based GTO finally has the interior apart for the RHD conversion I have been planning for 2 years.. the plan is that it will get paint this winter, and the other GTO with the 365 engine has the heads off to repair some cracks.. some bodywork issues are being addressed (I'm not painting this one myself.. the Lambo was fun to paint but I just am not into doing another paint job myself) hopefully come spring all three cars won't be needing anything but wax..
    maybe that's some additional reason for the funk i'm in, all the cars have been or are still apart..
    Chelle

20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Welcome to the forum, Michelle!

Great to have you on here and pls keep us posted about the GTO!

If you get to see our calendar, check out the picture of Frank's 308 and look closely to the left. Unmistakenly there is the left rear fender of your car. Anybody who knows these cars, will know, that it is a GTO.

21. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    Thanx : )
    I wanted to be at the party but personal issues got in the way... i wanna see the calender! or buy one : )
    Lambo should be home monday .. all the cars are getting something this winter.. I'll try an keep an eye on postings more regularly : )
    Chelle

22. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Agree with Andreas. Those GTO's were awesome!

23. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    With the OK weather this weekend, the rear suspension is all apart, time to clean and paint those parts then put the whole thing back together

24. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    #24 Dave Bendl, Dec 22, 2003
    Made great progress this weekend on the shift shaft seal replacement. All disassembled, and ready to order the parts for reassembly.
    For all you gearheads, here's a shot of the gearbox on my 308 QV.
    Dave
    Image Unavailable, Please Login