First time pulled over in the Ferrari | FerrariChat

First time pulled over in the Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by jimpo1, Dec 19, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Well, my record is broken. 2 years, 4 months, 11 days of ownership until my first encounter with the law.

I was driving to work this morning and got stuck in the left lane behind a Toyota doing about 25mph in a 40 zone. She was slowing down to get behind the truck next to her in the right lane. The truck was doing maybe 30. Close behind me was a Tahoe. I could only see the Tahoes bumper and grille in my mirror due to the height of my car. When the Toyota finally pulled over, I'd had enough. I downshifted and stood on it. Who knew that the local cops drove Tahoes? Yes, he was directly behind me.

He asked me what the hurry was (do they learn that line in cop school?) and I gave him the standard 'late for work' answer. He took my info and disappeared to his car. When he came back, he told me I was only going to get a warning because my record was so clean. He also said he was going to have a story to tell about the Ferrari that was right in front of him that took off. I told him I knew his car was there, but didn't know the law drove Tahoes. He laughed and replied that he was trying to check out the car when I just hauled ass away. Merry Christmas to me!

2. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    well, it happens, but I think you would have had a good case that he was tailgating you - going 25 to 30 he should be 3 cars lengths behind, his tailgating forced you into evasive action to avoid an accident :)

BTW I am amazed at the number of cops that without their sirens or lights will get right up on your ass to get you to move over so they can speed

3. 1992F40

1992F40 Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2002
    Great story Jim! How fast were you going when you had taken off?

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's funny!

I was coming out of the Medical Center yesterday, after parking on the 10th flr. of the garage. Well, after going around and around for what seemed like forever, I finally got out on the street.

Carbs and plugs were spitting a little, so I revved thru 1st pretty good, and reached second before getting 2 blocks to a light. Ansa muffler is way blown out, so reverb was bouncing off all the hospitals.

Looking over to a construction area for the new light rail line, and an off duty uniformed HPD met my eye. His advice was to holler:

"Slow it down!!!!!" at the top of his lungs!

I met his eye from behind my Enzo inspired Wayfarer Ray Bans, and silently nodded. Putting my index finger to my lips, in the international "Quiet" sign. Light went green, and I was gone!

Last time I was in traffic court, I sat next to a guy who had a ticket from this same area. His offense: Impeeding Traffic!

5. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I had my first encounter with the law in the Ferrari last month. I had just left my girlfriend's brother's house after a crazy bachelor party. It was 5:00 AM and I hadn't had a drink in 5 hours but my clothing smelled like I had slid down an alcoholic "Slip n' Slide." It was very, very foggy and I could hardly see anything. As I came upon a traffic light in the distance I saw green and red lights. It turns out that they were the left hand turn lane arrows and a red light. I didn't realize that the main light was red until I was on top of it! I slammed on my brakes and just missed going through the light. Of course there was a cop directly behind me. He pulled me over on the spot. Not only did I smell like Dudley Moore's character from "Arthur," it turns out that my registration had expired in July. Oops! Miraculously he let me go on just an Unregistered Vehicle Citation ($44). I've never been so lucky with the law in my life! And now I know that my ABS definitely works! :)

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I was leaving a memorial service for a classmate two months ago.
    It was held at his home, a private get together, with a large local turn out. Around midnight we left together, three vehicles.

Two blocks away, THREE squad cars pulled everyone over for a BIG shakedown. All the stupid human tricks, etc. Vehicle search. Total gestapo stuff.

They advised me that they had concerns for my condition to drive.
    I struck a deal to return to my deceased friend's house, to "wait a while".

I was pretty mad about the whole thing, although there was an ongoing investigation as to cause of death, and apparently my old bud had some unsavory connections.

Anyway, I calmed down, kicked back a while, and his kids showed me a back way out of the subdivision! Got home around 4AM.

Of course, once on the loop around Houston, it was back to high signs and "thumbs up" from fellow motorists. Which, at that time of day, are pretty scary!

7. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    great story Jim! thanks for sharing.

8. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    i got pulled over by a stock looking tahoe not too long ago. the officer said i was "racing" because the ricer next to me, who also got pulled over, revved his engine and took off at the light. the cop was right behind me and we were both pulled over shortly after the light. he let me off with a warning seeing as how i was in a stock jetta and couldn't come up with a reason for me to be racing against that supra.

i was surprised with how well they hid the lights. they were built into his side view mirrors and had more hidden on his visor.

9. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I haven't been ticketed or even pulled over in my 348 yet, but I had an officer doing about 80 in a 35 zone (literally!!) to catch up with me and check me out when I wasn't doing ANYTHING wrong. He followed me for about a block, did a Uturn, and split. What a dork!

Glad to hear some "I got away" stories!

10. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    You got lucky and got a very nice cop. :)

11. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    I was once followed in my old 348 by a motorcycle cop he pulled up next to me and asked "how much you pay for that" i didnt know how to respond so I told him not that much then he said "you should be able to afford a front lisence plate then" and drove off. That was the only time I was ever kinda pulled over in the ferrari.
    john

12. DallasGuy

DallasGuy Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2002
    Frisco TX
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    Hey Jim,
    Where was this? The only Tahoe driving cops I know of are in the Park Cities.

13. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    There are plenty of LEO Tahoes in Wisconsin. The Milwaukee Sheriff has quite a few, so do many local PD's.

14. racedecknc

racedecknc Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Winston Salem
    Full Name:
    Ed
    We have a green one here in Winston Salem, and some Tan ones. The green one is completely unmarked, and hauls in as many fish as he wants.

The tan ones have lights and stripes everywhere, very obvious.

You got lucky to get a cool cop, go buy some lottery tickets.

Ed

15. LA Swede

LA Swede Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    SoCal
    I got pulled over by a motorcycle cop for doing 80 in a 55 zone on my way home from work on my Harley. It would've been my third speeding ticket in 9 months and it would have been bad. Luckily, I really, really needed to pee and was jumping up and down on one leg when the officer was questioning me as to why I was speeding. My eyes were tearing up from the built up pressure in my bladder as I handed him my documents and asked if I'd be guilty of a violation if I ran down the embankment to use natures restroom. The officer asked me if my excuse for speeding was that I needed to use the restroom, I answered in the affirmative. The CHiP said he didn't care if I went down the emabnkment so I proceeded accordingly while he ran my papers. I was very surprised when I got off with a warning for the first time in my illustrious career as a moving violator!! Next time, you too might want to give this a try.

16. dalbright

dalbright Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Naples, Italy
    A year and a half into my 348 ownership, i got stopped (first and only time) when I was leaving neighborhood going no more that 20 mph. He gave me a ticket for not having my plate on the front of the car. What BS!! Oh well.

17. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I've yet to be pulled over in my Ferrari in the 3 years that I've owned it. But,I have also owned 7 Corvettes,and about 10 years ago,I was driving my (at that time) 1975 Convertible. I took off a little fast from a stop light,to try to get ahead of traffic in order to get over to the far Right lane from the left lane. Anyway,Cop right there.(unmarked car). Pulled me over,and while he was in his car running my License,a Red Countach drives past and gives a little "Toot Toot" on the horn. My record was clean,so I got away with a warning. But,it was funny.

18. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Marcus, he clocked me doing 65 in a 40.

Chris, it was in Irving on Royal Ln between O'Connor and McArthur.

19. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    LA Swede,
    did you shake his hand afterwards? Lol!!!!!

20. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I've only been stopped one time by the police....night time, black unmarked van in downtown Seattle, lights and siren, four or five guys bail out in black "raid" jackets with "POLICE" emblazoned on them and surround my car...Hey it's "Officer Larrabee" (aka FAD2BLK) fellow Ferrari Chat member! Whew! I WAS driving a little fast... :) http://ferrarichat.com/forum/member.php?u=1342

21. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Jim, a warning doesn't necessarily ruin your record... i wouldn't sweat it... Sounds like the cop was a nice guy, too...

By the way, thank for the toy... :)

22. Ron

Ron Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2002
    LA
    I was doing a test drive in a 512TR last spring. Met the owner at Bev Hills Lamborghini. I got in and he suggested we go north on Doheny to Sunset and then west on Sunset until we got out of Bev Hills and could punch it a bit.

I don't know why I didn't say, let's just go south a bit and hit the Santa Monica Fwy but I followed his instructions.

We had inched up Doheny and along Sunset because of the heavy traffic. The last light in Bev Hills was just ahead of us and it turned yellow. Since I had not even had a chance to accelerate up to then I decided to punch it and make it through the light. I never really was speeding but I did speed up from what I was doing.

Immediately after the light the street makes a right hand curve followed by a left hand curve. I had no sooner made it through the light than I looked in the rear mirror and saw and heard a BH police in an SUV coming after me with lights and siren blaring.

I turned off Sunset onto the next street and stopped the car.

The cop walked up and said "You blew through that light." I said "Well it was still yellow." He asked for license and registration.

The owner spoke up and said "Officer, he is new to the car, just got in it and is taking it for a test drive. He doesn't know its power yet."

The cop said "It's a Ferrari, what do you think happens when you mash the accelerator?"

Then he went back to his car to run the plates and my license. A few minutes later he came back and said "Just take it easy and have a good day." Then he handed our stuff back and got back into his car.

I was pretty nervous during the stop and was convinced that I was going to get a ticket, especially since it was a BH officer.

Then I just turned the car around, drove back to the starting point, got out and decided the car was not for me.

I did ultimately buy a 512TR a few months later.

23. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Seven years of driving three different Ferraris and I've never received a ticket in one (knock on wood!).

I've been pulled over three times and let go each time with a warning... The best one: The officer received a radio call to report to a nearby robbery, right as he was getting ready to write me up for doing 10 over in a 35... He gave me a quick warning and sped off down the road with lights and siren blaring!

24. gripet

gripet Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    south of Chicago
    As a Police Commissioner for our City in the MidWest I enjoy reading these stories. There are four police agencies within our county. We are the only ones that don't teach "show an attitude of authority" to the motorist. I have a 360 and actually got pulled over by a rival agency across the river. I had him pegged long before he saw me but he follows me for about 10 blocks and then flips on the gumball machine. Turns out he wanted to see the engine.
    The attitude that you see at the traffic stop has a lot of variables. Certainly, your Ferrari is a topic of interest to all officers, most of whom share an interest in automobiles.There are a few other subtlties that you may be unaware.
    Twenty five years ago I took my first sports car (a deTomasso pantera) to the Police Station and asked them point blank about the obscenely loud pipes and the Sargent who is now Chief of Police said, "Well, if you don't drive like a jerk, we will let you alone. Of course, the night shift is crazy and we have no control over them." I thought Yipes what an admission from him. Remember that the day shift deals mostly with service calls. That means they have to be polite. The afternoon shift deals mostly with traffic problems but they are older and have elected the day time shift. The 8pm to 6am shift is made up of the youngest of kids, fresh out of training, former Navy Seals, special forces, etc. They love the action of the night.
    So if you get pulled over think about these things: 1. what time is it. 2. where are you (inner city v. country club) 3. can the officer see your hands at all times. Bear in mind that he/she has to be instantly ready to defend their life with deadly force. If the weapon is drawn they will shoot to kill. There is no "wing em in the shoulder". The officer is more willing to stand in front of me and defend his shooting then he is for you to stand before a judge and defend your shooting him.
    Ask yourself how many Ferrari drivers are armed cocaine dealers because this is what he is wondering about you.
    Conclusion: pull over promptly in as well lit an area as possible. 2. keep your hands on the steering wheel with your fingers extended straight up where he can see them. 3. Do not reach for your wallet or glove box registration until he has given you permission. 4. Expect him to stand behind you where you can not see him. 5. Be polite. Yes sir, No sir. I am sorry sir. 6. Take your ticket or warning and don't call me and whine about it.
    Observe whether or not the officer is wearing black gloves. These are called thumping gloves. These young bucks love to fight and they are well trained in hand to hand combat long before they came to us. If he has stopped to put on the gloves on a hot summer night what do you think is giong to happen.
    Lastly, remember that the peace and quiet of your city during the day is bought to you by these guys and what they do for you at night while you are home in the sack. So chat with them about the details of your car.......they would like to have one as well.

doc

25. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Very well said! Thanks.

Without a doubt most peace officers are good folks.
    National "zero tolerance" programs recently have made seem a little more "hard line" than previous.

As most relationships, it's about respect.