New Truck! -I just bought a Toyota Tundra !!!!!!!!! | FerrariChat

New Truck! -I just bought a Toyota Tundra !!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by ILuv4Res, Nov 4, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Hoooray!! I just bought another Truck for work. It's a Toyota Tundra Stepside V-8. Fully loaded!!!

So far, I absolutely LOVE it!!!

2. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Here's a picture of it:

3. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    Nice truck, not a fan of the tail lights though.

4. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Yes, very interesting taillights indeed. Are the rear quarter panels fiberglass or metal?

5. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    I happen to like those taillights.

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Wife has a 2001 Tundra. This is one awesome truck. All the half ton Ford, Chevy, GM, Dodge trucks guys think it's a pick up truck. This pick up can go 0-60 in 7 seconds and actually can haul 8,500 lbs. That's better than most the competition. I haul my Rx7 around all the local states loaded with equipment and it doesn't even break a sweat. 85 mph up hills. Now with the Ferrari and enclosed trailer it's happier at 65 mph.

7. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    I think you did good, Tundra's a great truck, Toyota, quality is job #1
    Also love that paint scheme on Rob's 355, very cool.

8. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    What can I say, I love torque!

9. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    The stepside (wierd tail lights) was sort of strange when I first saw it. However, now I really like it. I think it adds a lot of character to what is usually the most boring part of any p/u truck. The bed is metal, not fiberglass.

Rob, you're right, it is very fast. I just sold my 03' Dodge Hemi Quad-Cab for this and I think the Toyota is faster! Additionally, although it doesn't ride as nice as a Lexus LS, the ride quality and handling is far superior to the Dodge.

10. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Fred, that's a great looking truck!

I'm curious as to what prompted you to sell the Dodge?

I really like the Toyota trucks but I'm gonna wait until next month to drive the Nissan Titan to compare.

11. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Tyler, good question. I sold the Dodge because it just wasn't practical for what I needed.

It was the limited edition "Thunder Road" package (see posted picture below), which was actually too nice to use for working on my properties. I drive a lot of miles and have some properties in lower-income areas so I think it was too 'look at me'. Also, the Dodge is a beautiful truck now, but in 2 years I didn't want to be driving such a flashy truck that is outdated. The Toyota should last longer & be more reliable, is more subtle so it should age more gracefully, drives nicer, handles better, gets better fuel economy, is faster (I think) and should have better resale at 100k miles.

12. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    Did you test drive a new F150?

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Good points I forgot to mention. I like the new Tundras better than ours look wise. I also think the ride quality in Tundras is awesome. Once we got this, we stopped using the BMW for long trips. Of course the 325is has 17" wheels and adjustable Koni suspension. :)

14. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    No, I didn't drive the new F-150. I figured since the F-150 was a brand new model w/ all the hype that the deals wouldn't be as good. Additionally, it seems like if you buy a Ford, 3 months later they offer more rebates so you loose more $ in depreciation automatically. Lastly, I figured that in a few years, a 100k mile Toyota would be a better sell than a 100k mile F-150.

15. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    my.02....... i have a nissan frontier desert runner( um a wanna be 4x4) and although i like the tundra i too am waiting for the titan to come out. i didnt think i was going to need the V8 ( mine is the V6) but things have changed and most of my gas guzzling muscle cars are gone so i see a V8 truck and a 308 in the near future! nice truck!!!!
    ps Rob for some reason i have never seen a pic of your car until now and all i can say is WOW!!!! hats off to to ya!

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    There's a couple on the "Race Team" link. Thanks.

17. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    See. I knew it!!! (see my previous post regarding the F-150 & why I sold the Dodge) I feel sorry for the people who buy cars only to have an incentive added by the manufacturer AFTER they buy. That only adds to the depreciation and loss of value for those that jumped in first!!!

http://money.cnn.com/2003/11/11/pf/autos/ford.reut/index.htm

18. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Regarding the Titan. You can test drive the Nissan Armada now which might give you a feel for whats to come?
    I test drove that an the Expedition. Armada is very nice an BIG.