What does everyone think of the '03 E55 AMG? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What does everyone think of the '03 E55 AMG?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by STEEDA30, Nov 2, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Agreed - the E60 has nothing on the E39.

--Dan

2. AJF1

AJF1 Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    AJ
    William, you can get 2004 SL55s at sticker if you look around 2003's are behind sticker!
    I also hear Mercedes is going to upgrade the e55 so it will better compete with the new BMW M5.

3. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    They're going to give it steering feel? Wow...

4. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    I think the 55 accells hard becaues of the torque, not sure if the Supra will have the same 516lb/ft torque.. :)

Not a E55 but I've driven a SL55 and a SL500 and it's the SBC that people refer too. Real real touchy, think of your prom date.. cept its that time of month :(

Where'd you hear this from? That's real real unlikely to happen anytime soon.

5. AJF1

AJF1 Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    AJ
    QUOTE:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Where'd you hear this from? That's real real unlikely to happen anytime soon
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I read it in one of the car magazines discussing upcoming models, don't remember which one, but I did find this on another site confirming what I read.

from thecarfanatics.com

BREAKING NEWS!!!! just out of Affalterbach.... The C32 is scrapped coming spring 2004. The facelifted C-class W203 will get an all new 5.5V8 motor (the biggest seen in an A-segment vehicle). Benz is going with direct aspiration. The decision was made after stability and longitiveity issues arose on the 3.2K supercharged engine with regards to the amount of BAR of pressure with which the air was injected into the cylinders. The new car will be labelled the C55 and is expected to get a CLK like front facia. The hp rises to 367hp equalling that of the CLK55. How much?? Insiders have still not disclosed the final figures, but it is expected to remain along the lines of the outgoing model.

Also in the wraps is the E60 (both in saloon and estate form with a 6.0l supercharged V8). This car is specifically targetted at the upcoming E60 M5. Mercedes-benz is finally investing a lot of money into its R&D to produce high performance variants. The profits after the DC merger and its highest ever sales recorded in the past few years ( specifically due to the W220 S-class) is evident. This in turn is triggerng a chain reaction with the other uber-manufacturers to follow suit. Ironically though no one seems to care about the fuel crisis...

6. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Why can't they shave 1000 lbs off of a car, stay away from the forced induction, and produce one, just ONE car in their whole diluted line-up of cars that overlap with other cars that makes you want to drive? A little chassis control (hell, I'll take some correlation of movement b/w the steering wheel and the two front wheels), a little less electrickery (which you *do* feel in the form of more disconnect), and a LOT less excess flab. They don't even need the more-than-mad power then.

I'd sign up to buy 10.

--Dan

7. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    It's called a BMW.. :D

8. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Don't let the MBW guys see you say that! :D James will kill yuo...and who knows what Andrea *won't* do to you :p

--Dan

9. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    James is easy to take care of, IIRC he has like two M3's also, so it's okay, and for Andrea? Well I'm up for experimentation! :D

10. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    You mean not experimenting? :D

--Dan

11. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Oh no, I meant experimentation! :D

She likes it kinky!

12. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Power is nothing without control. Which would you prefer, 500bhp normally aspirated and 3800lbs with a 6-spd manual, or the biturbo V12 power train, 4800lbs, and a selectable slush box?

If BMW wants to not only compete but prove it can build a sports sedan like no other, they need to drop the weight or not add anymore and it will resume its place as the king of performance sedans with the new motor.

Regarding the XJR, consider the XJR100 model. It has more of a tweaked active suspension, 19" rims with slightly beefier tires and is around an inch lower, which should be the same height as the Euro XJR models. US model XJRs have the same ride height as the normally aspirated counterparts. While rare and expensive, TDI/Arden/Paramount Performance offer engine and suspension upgrades, in particular, modified springs and the removal of limiter (top speed 175-180mph). The XJR does have a controllable slush box for 1st-4th vs a simple D and drive by pedal so you can lock gears around twisties rather then constantly surge and pitch. Unless the current Merc allows you to select gears as well?

Oh, and BTW, you can fail the active suspension in hardest setting by pulling the fuse. Great for the track *cough* ;)

Sunny

13. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Sunny,

If the new XJR box is anythnig like the current XKR tranny, then I'm staying away for any 'performance' oriented driving.

--Dan

14. WFO_Racer

WFO_Racer Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca
    My wife drives one to haul our sons around. I had Brabus do some work on the car. We have around 530bhp now , car looks fairly stock .I always remove any emblems on cars, unless they will pay me to advertise their products why should I do this for free. Plus it's a pain in the butt to remove car care products from.Catches some drivers by surprise. Ate a set of tires last week on a drive in my local canyon on our way to lunch, but had a blast doing it.

15. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    I don't blame you, but thats what a 6 year warranty is for :)

XJ6/XJS 4.0L - ZF 4HP24 - very good
    XJR6/XJ12 - GM 4L80E w/h updated electronics - excellent
    XJR6/XJ12 - GM 4L80E w/h 5th gear - breathtaking
    XJR8/XKR - ZF 5HP24 - good to ok (Mercedes used this as well)
    S-Type/New XJ/New XK - ZF 6HP26 - ok to crap

What autoboxes do the E55's use? And for the new V12 powertrain?

Sunny

16. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Sunny,

You're not even kidding. At least the old Jags have character and soul. (have a few in the family). The new ones are so...numb. Very un-Jaguar.

But, they work. Until something BIG goes wrong. Like an engine seizing! Luckily, a 7 year 100k warranty paid for itself many times over.

--Dan