Good deal or not? | FerrariChat

Good deal or not?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by mighty, Dec 19, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mighty

mighty Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    I found an automatic 85 corolla (it will be my beater) for $475, it runs but needs a new radiator or thermostat. Is it still a good deal? How much would it cost to fix it? thanks.

2. Ekasilicon

Ekasilicon Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2003
    I don't know the old car market too well, but it seems like a good deal. To replace the thermostat would cost probably $20-30 for the thermostat, and no labor charges if you do it yourself. The radiator could get a couple of hundred dollars, plus labor. How many miles are on it?

3. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Callloollla is usually a good bet, check oil condition if T Stat and Rad are hinky look for a white film inside the oil cap, if you see that run Head Gasket and many other issues evident,
    Watch the condition of the brakes not just the pads but check the main (fluid if debris in RUN) but otherwise it might be good.

Find a good mechanic and get him to look at it. Would be worth a bottle of something nice to find out if it is a basket case

4. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    if you dont do the work yourself..... or you do and have the few extra bucks..... get a compression tester and to the test. its a great indicator on an engines overal health. for a beater it does not have to be perfect, but it should be RELIABLE!!! best of luck to ya.

5. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Definately have it checked out to make sure it dosen't have a bad head or headgasket. If these cars overheat even once it can warp the head.