Ferrari outsource to India? | FerrariChat

Ferrari outsource to India?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by MarkG, Dec 19, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MarkG

MarkG Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Mark
  2. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Maybe they realise who there customers are and understand if they sell them all out they won't sell anything, bout time some corporate idiots understand who it is that buys there products and service's

3. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I heard this once before, so I changed the model names to reflect Ferrari. Sure it would be cheap to build top notch luxury cars in third world country. Would help them out economically to support their billion plus people. It is always a great idea to take your car away from your target market and not get public feedback.

Was new name
    Barchetta Tikka
    Berlinetta Curry
    Stradale Instant Karma
    Enzo Shiva (6 speed, 6 arms, makes sense)

Son of a b ! t c h Astons produced in India? F^ck that! Oh wait it says development. So I won't take it seriously. But then again, here are you gonna test drive these cars in India? I for one have been there twice on motorcycle and would rather hike around there than ride through again.

4. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    You guys are reading it wrong. DC Designs does design work only. No production. But even if it did, if Ferrari were to send some production offshore, how would that be a negative? You are buying it because it's a Ferrari, made at a Ferrari factory, right? Who cares where the plant is located? As it is, numerous Ducati components come from India. And Ford components. And various others. Having a car designed in India does not make it lower quality. Or somehow betray the Ferrari market.

The reason the Aston they designed is the cheapest is simply because Aston decided to compete with the Porsche/Ferrari/$150k sportscar market. They decided on a target price. Then they asked DC Designs to create it. Although India is usually synonymous with super-low-cost, the fact that the AMV8 was penned in India has nothing to do with the AMV8 being the cheapest Aston model. That was part of the design brief before DC Designs entered the picture.

If Ferrari foregoes an American design company for an Indian one, then you could say that in the short term, it is harming the American workforce (although it is then hopefully passing on the cost savings to the American consumer). But I don't think an American firm has ever designed a Ferrari. So why feel slighted?

TestShootCom: What do you mean by "take your car away from your target market and not get public feedback?" Who is doing this? And you testdrive cars in the country you are buying them, not where they are produced. If you are talking about factory testing, Ferrari already ships cars around the world to do shakedown drives. I saw the 456 undergoing hot-weather testing in Bahrain and Saudi. We know they ship prototypes to the US, Canada, and Mexico, as does Porsche, MB, etc. Not that it's an issue, as production is not moving to India. But even if it were, how is it a bad thing?