IT product/career direction | FerrariChat

IT product/career direction

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by shmark, Dec 19, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Ok you oracles of Oracle (sorry), if you're an out-of-work IT schlep with visions of getting your own company/product off the ground after almost two years of trying, using a seriously proprietary platform and a very targeted vertical, what would you do?

Yes I want to dump the proprietary platform and expand beyond specific verticals. My personal thoughts are J2EE and Websphere/JBoss/pick your server, with cross-platform independence.

If I go that direction I need development tools and training that won't bankrupt me, but I am willing to invest a few thousand if necessary.

I'm also thinking of a group initiative, managed by my company, but with contributors working virtually from anywhere, along the lines of http://www.racing-legends.com/ if anyone has seen that site.

Anyone think a thought?

Mark

2. jjstecher

jjstecher Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2002
    Rochester Minnesota
    Full Name:
    John Stecher
    Email me if you are interested in J2EE I can point you in the right direction and get you started. I work at IBM and have been a J2EE architect for a while now working with the like of eBay and NYSE. Let me know what you are thinking of creating and I am happy to help you out and get you pointed in the right direction. I dont even care if you dont use WebSphere just as long as you stay away from that .Net garbage.

3. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks. I tried to email you but you have it disabled in your profile. I agree about .Net, no way no how. Unfortunately I have to get to work right now (selling Mazdas to pay the rent at the moment), but please feel free to send me a note at [email protected] or reply in this thread.

I am an IBM Business Partner, member of Partnerworld for Software and Developer, and want to use Websphere but I think that the ability to run on any server would be the best track. Don't you?

Mark

4. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    Definately j2EE

Personally I like JBOSS but that is because it is free and I have the extra time to develop.

From what I know and understand websphere is very very good and IBM is good to work with. I just met a bigwig from IBM yesterday as they are making a push into educational institutions. People also recommend webspere to me on a regular basis which says alot for the produt

BEA weblogic always seems to get top ratings from the industry rags but I have never used it myself.

Webspehere seems to be pretty platform independent. According to IBM It'll run on anything with a cpu.

It's a shame about the failure of .net. I was really excited about it when it came out but it is just torture to develop with and everything I want to do is just install this package or that package. UGH.

5. jjstecher

jjstecher Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2002
    Rochester Minnesota
    Full Name:
    John Stecher
    Sorry about that just email me at [email protected] (work) or [email protected] (home) and I will be happy to respond.

WAS 5.1 which we just shipped a few days back here is your best bet for maximum cross platform compatability. Right now we support pretty much anything with a CPU (Windows, Linux, AIX, Solaris, OS/400, OS/390, HPUX, and even Apple if you run Power Linux) as Oppie pointed out, **** there is even WebSphere imbedded that the pervasive computing group just used to pilot a model airplane!

JBoss is great but to do a real production system on it is still iffy because it is not CTS certifed and support can be wishy washy. I love the product just dont know if I would risk all my companies information running on top of it.

WebSphere also has one of the best development enviroments that I have been lucky to play with WSAD which is based on the eclipse open source project, I can tell you from personal experience I can sit down in a night with a good UML diagram of the application I want to build and have it done infastructure wise in 2-3 hours and then just have to add in the business logic.

Anyway I dont want to sound like I am hyping my product...being that I work on the runtime itself and deploying large customer applications in the field, but I think it is a great platform to get started on and really easy to pick up and learn with the associated tooling.

Oppie can I ask who you talked to the other day? Just curious if I know them...what field are you in again? I look forward to talking to you guys...good to see a bunch of geeks like me on the board! :p

6. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    Jim something. I don't have his business card here. If I remember after the holidays I'll post it. It was more my boss who did his demo of our research for him. He was a sharp dude. By FAR the sharpest guy that has come to visit my office. I was impressed. I had to do some work while he was there(securing arcims) and I left with a freind of mine for a lunch meeting b4 the holiday so I did not chat with IBM guy tooo much.

My dad worked in hudson valley region at the plants for 30 years. He's brilliant and I've never not been impressed by people I meet who work there.

What field? Mostly I am a GIS guru for my office. I do a good deal of database work and programming when I need to. My side work ussually involves more coding(PHP scripting mostly)then my actual job. I work at a University in the Information Science School.

Right now I am doing a lot of grantwriting and the like. One research project we are doing is going to be in collaboration with the "important fedral agency". I was thinking with this would project that maybe I can talk to IBM about since they could get a good inroads into our school, my students would learn some real useful programming concepts and tools and perhaps big blue could make a customer out of these feds if they decide to implement the system we are building.

JBOSS does what we need it to do at a price my boss will swallow(mostly learn and experiement with). I think Eclipse is truely useful, JBOSS works with it and is also free.

We don't do a lot of really large software application design and implenentation right now but it's one of those things I am trying to change. Students need these skills to succeed. I don't think we are producing enough people who could LEAD these kinds of projects successfully. Those are the people companies are willing to hire. Even if it is only my five student workers. That's a lot better then zero.

Have a good day.

7. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Wow, thanks guys. I've had several people mention Eclipse, so I'll be digging into that over the weekend...too tired and hungry to get to it right now.

Have either of you looked into M7's toolset (www.m7.com)? I've demo'd their product and have been impressed with the ease of use (demo comes with a JBoss server), but the cost is just out of sight for me.

I'll pick up a copy of the latest Websphere server and give Eclipse the once over as well, and will let you know what this Java newbie picks up. Please keep this thread going, it's a big help! :)

off to bed...

Mark

8. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    Mark,

You're most welcome. I have never used the M7 package but if it really can do all the magical work it promises its probably worth two grand.

I think you'll want to know how to do at least a decent amount of your own coding before moving to another level of abstraction. Just my thoughts. Some people use those kinds of tools and love them to death. I will ask around and see if anyone has used that one in my village.

9. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks. I'm looking into some of the online training as well. I absolutely agree that learning basic coding is important and I'm working on it, but having a good toolset is also important. The codebase is simply too large for anyone but completely dedicated 100% developers, something I can't do.

Mark