Anaheim Auto Show Pics | FerrariChat

Anaheim Auto Show Pics

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Chiaro_Slag, Nov 4, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #1 Chiaro_Slag, Nov 4, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here are some cool pics from the anaheim Auto show I took this weekend. Was some cool stuff there - I liked :

The Cadillac Cien Concept - Built 2 years ago - Per the rep there, it had a targeted price of $225K, but will never be built.

New Mustang - Kinda cool.

The Challenge Stradale - Sweeeeet

Volkswagon engine - I didn't know any engines were built chain driven as oppossed to belts... What is the advantages disadvantages of this?

I was a sucker for the Hummer H1 in Ocean Blue. :)

I am not much of a fan of the PT Cruiser, but liked the California Concept they had of this car.

Here are all the pics :

http://www.dt-clan.com/Slag/Anaheim%20Auto%20Show/

And lastly, nothing says "Pimp" like an aluminum Jaguar :
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Cool shots! Thanks Jerry!

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Atleast the picture of the VW v12 (did not know they were building one, I thought they were now into W12's?) shows how complex a chain camshaft drive is, for those who think they are as crude as a motorcycle rear wheel drive:

[​IMG]

Pete

4. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    It was pretty complex.... What are the advantages/disadvantages of the chain engine?

5. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Chrome rims CHECK
    Chrome trim CHECK
    Chrome headlamp rings CHECK
    Chrome badging CHECK
    Chrome car.... CHECK!

6. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Bling!

7. West777

West777 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2003
    Yeah, Great Pictures! Its official! Im in love with the Stradale. That stripe looks amazing on it.

That Murcielago looked great. I don't normally like blue on sports cars, but damn, that looked nice!

About that V12 (chain driven) VW engine. Wouldn't that be a lot more un-reliable than a belt driven engine? If one of those chaines broke at high RPM's....couldn't that cause some serious damage?

Good Post! Nice Pics.

8. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Oops, sorry, I forgot to add the chrome rolex and the overly colored chrome spinner... BELTS!

9. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Hey!

lol

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yep you need all that complexity to remove the slack and keep the chain from rattling.

Advantages are, hmmm compared to gears quieter, possibly lighter (?). Compared to belts, well the belt was not invented when chains were first used ... and they do last longer than belts, ie. a chain should do 100000 km's + (depends on engine) before needing a change.

But the biggest advantage is they are more idiot owner proof, ie. a chain that is old and worn, while it will be noisy and doing damage (around the castings, etc.) and the valve timing will be off ... it usually does not just break ... it will keep on clanging away for a very long time, until the owner gives the engine a big rev and it tries to jump a tooth ... then BANG!!!!

I have though, changed timing chains on engines that have sounded like a can of nuts and bolts.

BUT one huge disadvantage is that they usually are a lot harder to replace than a belt, with in many cases partial dismantle of the front of the engine ... where belt installations are designed for the removal and replace process.

And ofcourse the other disadvantage is simply the weight of the chain versus a belt ... the engine has to accelerate and slow it as you rev.

Fairly rare occurrance. The only time I have ever heard this actually happening was due to installation error, ie. they had installed the joining link in backwards ... thus it worked loose. In this case the chain just ended up in the sump, but many valves were bent!!!

I think because they make so much noice when they are loose you would have to be the biggest mechanically unsymphathetic d!ckhead to drive and engine that far until a chain actually broke. Like I said above most likely cause would be an attempt to jump a tooth, as the chain has stretched and the gear teeth were worn.

Interesting to see that the chain appears to be a single row chain! This surprises me as most decent engines have duplex chains which slows the stretching down and effectively doubles the strength of the same sized chain. Early 250 series v12 Ferrari engines have triplex chains ... so they are not going to break, although you pay for that with the extra weight of the chain.

Jaguar v12's have a problem with stretching the chain because it is one great big long simplex (I think) chain ... thus they do not last long. Funny this because their straight 6 engines are duplex and do not give any trouble ... thus why not stick with the same concept?

Anyway, I think there is nothing wrong with either design as long as it is engineered and maintained correctly. For some reason many peopl who by Ferraris (308 series, etc.) with the rubber belt think that the belt is stupid and the fact that it has to be replaced a pain. I assume those people ALSO drive around on illegal and bald tyres because they are rubber and they ALSO need to be replaced at regular intervals ... as do suspension bushes. Thus I would hate to buy a Ferrari (or any car) off somebody who has an issue with following the manufacturers maintenance schedule over something which is pretty cheap really ... especially if you own a 308, ie. do it yourself!

The other thing I have noticed over my years of car ownership and working in the auto repair trade that surpriced me, is that many rubber timing belts actually get noicy when they are old. Infact a Mazda van I owned sounded very worn before I replaced its cambelt ... sounded real quiet afterwards. Now I did not expect that ... but I guess as the belts age they get harder and thus noisier.

Pete
    at 4:03am AT work!