308 Windshield Washer Pump & Gasket... | FerrariChat

308 Windshield Washer Pump & Gasket...

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Wayne 962, Dec 19, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Checked the archives - couldn't find anything on this...

Before I start diving into this, I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas on replacing the o-ring/gasket on the washer bottle and/or the motor? Supposedly the whole assembly is only available as a unit from Ferrari for relatively big bucks.

Any suggestions, or parts that swap in (there must be some).

Thanks in advance,

Wayne

2. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    I know Ferrari of UK had some form my car (mondial) but are now out of stock - I think they were asking in 100 to 200 range - not cheap but not over the top. I would think Fiat or Alfas may have simialr parts

3. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    A couple of years ago I was in a local auto parts place & happened to look at their washer pump display. They had a pump that sure looked like it was a drop-in, but had a plastic nut & threads on the inlet side. Looked like an ideal replacement. At the time my pump was fine.

My pump's now started dripping & I've been thru the entire displays at 4 or 5 places & can't spot the one I saw.

I have seen several pumps that have what looks like the same motor, but on almost all of them the inlet is at 90 degrees to the motor. I'm sure if I took the tank in I'd find one that works, but wouldn't look the same. Also figure that I'd find one I could disassemble & use the parts to rebuild mine.

If your pump is working, & just the o-ring that seals the pickup tube to the bottle is leaking, then search the old archives as I asked about this a while back & got some good suggestions that I'll be trying in a few weeks.

4. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
  5. ArtH

ArtH Rookie

May 16, 2005
    N. Virginia
    #5 ArtH, Sep 18, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Would a $20 solution work?

My washer pump was trash--the impeller-to-motor rubber disc leaked, thus water got in the motor and rusted it out. This is a '79 308.

I searched on the web and Ebay for the Isola motor part, no luck. On a whim I went to the local Advance Auto, where on the shelves they have universal and common replacement windshield washer pumps.

Ahha! St. Enzo delivers a miracle! The EXACT pump is sitting on the shelf for 20 bucks. Same mounting lugs, motor, impeller, terminals, etc. It has a different output design though but that's removable. The counter personnel were delighted they had a Ferrari part!

I drilled out the rivits and it fit like new into the original output! A couple stainless screws to hold it together and it's done. The gasket to the bottle itself was fine, though that one would be easy to make or find.

Here's what you want:
    "Washer Pump" No. 174922
    ACI, a brand of Maxair Division, Standard Motor Products, Ft. Forth TX.
    It's made in USA!!!

If they all were so simple!

Art
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    #6 Pizzaman Chris, Sep 18, 2005
    I got this one from Australia and it works great. Cost $20 deliverd.
    http://stores.ebay.com/MaxSmart-Online_W0QQssPageNameZviQ3asibQ3astoreviewQQtZkm

7. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Good finds! I ended up threading the end of mine and then putting a plastic nut on the inside. It didn't work perfectly, so I then put some silicone in there - I think it's holding now, although I only did this about a week ago - filled it up to check (with a catch bucket), but I have forgotten to check...

-Wayne

8. Herb Kirshrot

Herb Kirshrot Rookie

Feb 12, 2007
    Portland, Oregon
    #8 Herb Kirshrot, Apr 9, 2007
    Well I didn't have access to Advance Auto, but Baxter Auto in Portland, Oregon has access to the identical part number 64-01. Just clip the rivets to remove the motor/ impellor from the old pump assembly, as well as the new one, then secure the new one in place with appropriate screws. Remarkable find.

9. qzy

qzy Rookie

Feb 6, 2009
    I bought ACI pump No. 174922 but it is not bolt on anymore.
    Because its mold seems to be changed.
    However basic dimension seems to be the same.
    It looks to fit with heavy glinding one of the plastic base.
    I would try this modification in a month.
    But I do recommend to buy another pump for your replacement.

10. greggbferrari

greggbferrari Karting

Jan 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Gregg Brown
    Haven't tried it yet, but the NACO part is listed at RockAuto:

ANCO Part # 6401
    Category: Windshield Washer Pump
    $15.11