FerrariChat.com Show & Tell your other hobbies... | FerrariChat

FerrariChat.com Show & Tell your other hobbies...

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by rob lay, Dec 20, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    As my Ferrari hobby has taken over my spare time the past few years, I had started loosing touch with other things I loved. After not duck hunting at all last year, I decided to get out there this morning. It's been awhile, so I wasn't even that prepared. We hadn't scouted our spot this year and my shooting/calling skills were a little rusty.

I got up at 3am, picked friend up at 4am, we were there at 5am to put the decoys out and build the blind. Shooting time was 6:55am (30 minutes before sunrise).

With hunting and fishing the first goal should just be having fun outdoors and enjoying someone else’s company. Some of my best memories with my dad were hunting or fishing. Actually seeing any birds or getting to shoot at any is just a bonus.

5 minutes before legal shooting time we had two large ducks (still too dark to know what kind) set in our decoys. They swam off in a few minutes. Right at shooting time we had 3 Gadwalls land in our decoys. I got one hen. My partner was really rusty today, he wasn't even getting shots off. He has a pump vs. my Browning A5 and was jamming after the first shot. The first 40 minutes had quite a few ducks flying. I wasn't confident I could call them in to the decoys, so we were taking poor passing shots which is more difficult then slow moving setting shots. Finally after missing about 5 passing groups we decided to just be patient and work them all the way into the decoys. This was probably the most fun as I had a couple groups of Mallards that we called in from a distance and kept circling around the decoys. We never got them to set in the decoys, although one group landed just out of range. Things were pretty slow by now, but I did get a hen Northern Shoveler (Fiero Ferrari of the duck world) that came in.

We need some more cold fronts, I need to be more patient and confident that I can get them to set, and my partner actually needs to shoot. :) Beautiful morning and I'm glad I got out there to do one of my other favorite hobbies.

Here's an early morning shot of our spread. That's our Mojo duck in the back right...

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Only two ducks, but very enjoyable morning...

3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    In an effort to bump up your harvest:

Can't help but notice 2 things:
    Blind seems lighter in hue than surface.
    How still the water is.
    Would giving water a little ripple-effect by skipping a stone out (while ducks in flight are on the distant horizon) - attract more ducks fooled into thinking those ducks are paddling a bit?

OK - Back to Show and Tell!

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Yes, you're right, although we don't have controls how many ducks are around, the following things we can improve on to help...

1) On still wind days, you need water movement or the decoys don't look alive. You can do this with a tug line or the Mojo duck company makes a floater that vibrates to produce a ripple.

2) Our blind was OK around the outsides, the sheet looks ligther because of the flash. We had bushes and branches around the outside. We can improve the top cover though as the ducks are up high and looking straight down.

3) As I said, I just need to be patient and get them to set for an easier shot. We could of easily had 6 ducks today.

5. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    GIRLS, GUITARS, CARS..... NOT IN THAT ORDER. PICS COMING

6. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
  7. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
  8. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
  9. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
  10. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    CARS 3 FERRARI PENDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard
    #11 Slim, Dec 20, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard
    #12 Slim, Dec 20, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. mr. green

mr. green Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 31, 2003
    Carreaper,

If your getting all that poon with a Pontiac, What do you need a Ferrari
    for.

14. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    One of my other biggest hobbies is snowmobiling. Our season runs from dec.15th till April15th so it works out well for me as it keeps me from getting cabin fever. We have over 5000 miles of groomed trails in Vt. so it is really like a network of highways through the woods. I logged 2900 miles last year and enjoyed every minute of it! I used to mtn. bike and hike a lot during the warmer months but after buying my S2000 last June I spent my off time cruising top down.
    Car reaper I enjoyed your pics I used to be a big time Pontiac guy myself having owned a 78 T/A, 71 T-37 and 71 Grand prix. I love the 70-73 firebird/formula/trans am style, but unfortunately never got to own one.

15. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Talkin about sharkin!

DL

16. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
  17. detailman

detailman Formula Junior

May 26, 2002
    Indiana & South Caro
    Full Name:
    David
    I like to go rock climbing and visiting stripclubs.

18. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Nice! F@ck duck hunting!!!!!!!

On the hunting note, i hope you eat those ducks after you kill them, and i dont see the fun in killing a defenseless animal.

19. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Rob, my dad was a huge sportsman. (He grew up in Colorado.) Sad to say, though, one of my worst memories is duck hunting. Let's see, get drugged out of bed before the sun comes up, forced to drink Navy coffee (there ain't no worst), drive out to the swamp, get in a small boat, sit perfectly sit, freeze one's ass off, and no @$%#$^ ducks!

One time, as I sat there freezing my nads off, this duck comes swimming around the point towards the boat. Now I know that you are not supposed to shoot ducks when they are swimming, but... it was cold, I was feeling kinda mean, I hadn't had a shot all day, so before my dad could say anything, I blowed that duck to kingdom come. Man was he pissed. The good news is that was my last duck trip...

Then there was the time when after sitting all morning in a deer stand in Alabama (again freezing my behind off) that this squirrel ran down the tree that I was sitting up against, over my legs, and stood up with his back to me. That squirrel then proceeded to cuss the world out in no uncertain terms. Did I mention that Mr. Squirrel stopped right in front of my shotgun loaded with buckshot?

Actually, I had a lot of good times with my dad that I treasure now that he has crossed the river. I sometimes regret that I have never taken my 16-year old son hunting. But, he is a lot smarter than me and wasn't interested in sitting in some old jon boat freezing his nads off, and, now that he has discovered girls, he for sure is not going to go sit out in the woods on a freezing cold November morning.

Dale

ps What's a hobby?

20. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Allan,
    Dr. Dale Carnegie called, he wants his UNREAD book back!

Suggestion: Why dont you ram your Lambo into a whaling ship....for the cause, of course.

DL

21. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Rob, thanks for the compliment, DRTAX... LMAO!!!!!!

22. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    You first!

23. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    Trap shooting, my dad and I go to Red Mountain Trap and Skeet every thursday, and shoot 4 rounds of clays, which is 100 shots.

Target shooting in the Desert.

Four Wheeling.

Girls.

Nitro R/C.

PS2.

Photography.

24. Chenrezi

Chenrezi Karting

Feb 10, 2003
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Miguel
    AH YEAH!!!!
    Well, Rock and Roll!!! Going to the beach (surfing and jogging), and just hanging out with the guys...

Of course, one must not forget the COUNTLESS hours spent in front of the computer just eagerly waiting any new threads on Ferrarichat!!! ;)

Here's a pic of yours truly in a small venue gig... (I'm the the guy that's all red... singing... ;)

25. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I use to be a mellow surfer dude, until I broke my arm getting power slammed into a reef. Traded my surf board for some cool Hawaii shirts, and quit that sport like a little p*ssy.

My last hobby? F-PEP
    For a number of years, I enjoyed studying the Female Power Executive Paradox. I found one of those smart people dating clubs for Female Executives, Over Achievers, and Women Doctors. (I’m surprised they let me in the gene pool). I quickly noticed a strange trend..….each woman I dated, almost word-for-word said the following- "I have so much power at work and I give orders all day long to a large staff, when I'm home for the weekend, my feminine side craves the opposite extreme to feel satisfied. Will you help me?"

TWO WARNINGS- Do not try this on a woman who is working her way up, she will kick you in the b*lls. After all, she has to work twice as hard to get respect in the work place. (But if she's been at the top for a few years, and got there fast, the opposite happens, they crave a total loss of control.) Women are VERY strange. SECOND WARNING- if you are a child reading this. What I am explaining is how to teach girls to do magic tricks.

My life started getting a bit weird so I dropped out of that dating site. Been hanging around F-chat for a while trying to get back to normal. Maybe duck hunting next? I need a normal hobby.