Lesson on Cigars. | FerrariChat

Lesson on Cigars.

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by F360@20, Dec 20, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F360@20

F360@20 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    San Diego
    I just wanted to see if anyone could give me a intro to Cigars?

Curious just to find out what makes a good cigar to a bad one?

What do you look for when buying one? Is a $100 really better then a $5

Any proper way to smoke a cigar?

I'm not to sure on what else to ask, so like I said a intro would be great.
    Thanks

2. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I don't really have much time to get into it right now, so I will be be brief.

One of the first things you need to do when learning about cigars is to go to your local tobacoonist and make friends with someone who is very knowledgable about cigars. This person should be able to recommend 2 or 3 beginner guides to help aquaint you with the lingo and basics of cigar smoking. You should then pickup a small variety of mild to medium bodied cigars(Arturo Fuente, Padron, La Gloria Cubana, Macanudo).

This should give you a general feel for the differences between various brands. I also suggest you keep a log or dossier to take down notes on how each cigar has been. You will find that as your tastes develop over time you will begin to appreciate the complexities of stronger cigars(This means stay away from the Cuban varieties until later on in your journey because it will be difficult to fully appreciate them at first).

As for the difference between a $5 smoke and a $100 smoke. Most cigars that cost over $25 a piece are priced that way either when they are limited editoin smokes or because they are classics that have not been in productoin for quite some time. There is no reason to assume that a $100 will necessarily be any better than a good $8 smoke you get from your local tobacconist.

There are several other F-chat members (Tyler) who can offer some more in depth advice. But as a first step it is important to start a relationship with a tobacconist with whom you feel the most comfortable.

Hope this helps you begin your journey.

P.S.
    Funny because after skydiving this morning I bought my cousin one of those 18inch Puros Indios "Chiefs" as a goof for the rest of his bachelor party tonight. I just had some port that I paired with a Cuban "Millenium" Montecristo. Great little smoke!

3. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Try different cigars from different countries, Nicaragua, Dominican Republic, Honduras, etc. You may find that you don't like most cigars from a certain country. I did.

www.cigargroup.com is a good place to ask questions, and do some reading.

What is most important is not price but what you like.

4. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Good advice Ike... I see that you too are in New Orleans!

I used to post at www.cigarfamily.com a lot. Although I am not sure that it is still around. It was/is a wonderful resource.

5. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I dont know much abut cigars, but my wifes family owns a cigar company called Plasencia, and all the people who ive given them to seem to agree they are very good. I myself cannot tell the difference from one to another.

6. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Pretty much any cigar from Padrón is an excellent choice.
    Think of it as the Ferrari of non-Cuban Cigars. Some are cheap, some aren't. All are excellent.

As for Countries - in (my) order of preference:
    Nicaragua - Dominican Republic - Honduras

Sign up at this site - uncheck boxes when you do, so as to skip emails from them. They don't sell or share your name.
    http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/Home/

Then check the ratings.

Tip 1: Don't *smoke* cigar like a cigarette.
    Tip 2: Don't *smoke* cigar like a joint.
    Tip 3: Warm up your properly cut cigar *a little*, then (important) light it for a very long time, getting it lit all the way around the tip. Sip - don't guzzle - *sip* some scotch. Ante up & deal those cards.

7. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I had one of those. Took one puff and threw it away. It tasted like afterbirth. But I did feel the need to mention that I owned it.

See-you-next-Tuesday!

DL

PS. Yes, I can spell. Don't be predictable. It would be even less sporting of you.

8. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Yeah, it is still around. I forgot about that one.

Do you ever go to Dos Jeffes or any other cigar bars in the city?

I go to Dos Jeffes every now and then. I really like going to the French Quarter Bar at the Ritz Carlton as they are cigar friendly. They have a humidor at the Ritz too but they don't usually stock anything I like.

9. F360@20

F360@20 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    San Diego
    How do I find a good shop? How do I know it is not just some guy who owns a smoke shop, instead of someone who really knows all about cigars and who could help me out?

10. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    F360-

There are good well reknowned smoke shops like Nat Sherman's in NYC... They also have a website....

You might want to start off by going to B&N or Borders and buying a book on a guide to cigars, it'll tell you everything you need to know... Also, the back of magazines like Cigar Aficionado have ads for special deals on sample packages of different cigars for a very modest cost.. You might want to start off smoking those and deciding what you like... Cigars are like playing golf or buying cars..... Just because Tiger Woods plays with expensive forged clubs, doesn't mean you'd appreciate them if you can't hit the ball... Same with cars.. Most consumers would never appreciate the attributes of a Ferrari or any exotic sports car for that matter, and would be much better off buying an entry level Lexus...

11. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Yeah, sure you did.

12. Had one of those two horrible, fell on the carpet in the Ferrari to burned a hole in scuderia. :(

just jking with yah allan havent tried em.

13. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Wow, I am surprised this thread popped back up after such a long time.

So F360@20, how is your journey going? Did you ever find a good local tobacconist?

If so, what cigars have you come across that you like? I would have liked to have answered your questions in more detail, but at the time I was out of town for my cousin's wedding.

I had completely forgotten that I responded to your post after skydiving that day!

Anyways, give us an update!:)

14. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    I've heard that its best to light them with a match, or nice butane lighter, not a Zippo type lighter because the fluid in it will spoil the taste... any truth to this? Probably a dumb question but I don't know much about cigars.

15. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Actually, the best way is to light a piece of cedar and use that. Very true about using the Zippo.

DL

16. F360@20

F360@20 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    San Diego
    Well, it is going that is for sure.

I have not been able to find a good yet a lone a local tobacconist. The only place I have found that has a decent selection is Tinderbox. Only issue with them is they have young people working who do not have the answers to my questions.

But I have found some cigars to me with a enjoyable taste.

First was one that my grandfather suggested because he smoked it. Which is a PUNCH(from Honduras) A FULL BODIED CIGAR, COMPRISED OF CUBAN SEED TOBACCOS GROWN IN HONDURAS, NICARAGUA & THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC. THESE CIGARS HAVE A HONDURAN BINDER & EQUDORIAN WRAPPER, WITH THE MADURO LINE USING A CONN. BROADLEAF WRAPPER.

It was a big leep at first and the taste was not there. But a few days after smoking it I had the taste to try it again and enjoyed it.

It sucks because my friends are not into smoking cigars to enjoy them but just to smoke them because they are cigars.(If you understand) So I do not really get the chance to sit down and talk and enjoy a good cigar with anyone.

I will reply more on this topic tommorow when I am more awake.

Also any other advice with be great! Any cigars you have tried that are worth looking into?

17. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I see you are in San Diego. A name I have seen mentioned a few times on the web is:

Captain Hunt Tobacconist

849 West Harbor Drive
    San Diego, CA 92101
    Tel: 619 232-2938

18. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    How the hell did I miss this thread first time around??

F360@20, there has been a great deal of good advice posted here. It's late so I'll have to get back to this later but here are a few links from the archives that might provide some additional information.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256121/267525.html

http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256121/280063.html

http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256121/296090.html

http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256121/277739.html

Looking forward to talking more on this subject.

Allan, which cigars did you give to friends? Nestor rolls quite a few different brands of cigars for several different companies. While I don't care for most of their stuff sometimes I'm surprised. They have a big operation producing(last I checked) more than 30 million cigars a year and using more than 75% of their own plantations tobacco in their production. Would not surprise me if it was a private blend just for family.

BTW, while typing this I'm finishing up what has turned out to be a brilliant 1989 Montecristo #2. Yuuuuummmmyy:)

19. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    Some suggestions:

Artuero Fuente Opus X
    Romeo Y Julieta
    Bolivar - Cuban if you can find a shop that has a little something under the counter. ;-)

20. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Opus X are COMPLETELY over rated! Good on Fuente for what they get for them.

DL

21. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    I still like'em...although admittedly, it's been a while since I've had one as I've been on the Bolivar's lately. The Opus X was one of my first so I tend to keep a few around...first loves you know.