Has anyone seen this car? | FerrariChat

Has anyone seen this car?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by LSU348, Dec 20, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Have any of you guys in OK seen this car before?

http://www.santiagosc.com/1985%20Ferarri%20308%20GTB%20QV.htm

This is what I am looking to buy. If all the questions I have asked come back correctly I may be a happy Ferrari owner sooner then later.

Any opinions?

Are those wheels an option or are they pure aftermarket? I like the 5 star standards a little more.

Love the black on black!

Thnaks,

-Mike

2. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Nice 308 GTB QV! (black/black)

Those are BBS wheels and they're pure aftermarket. If I was buying that car I would buy 360 or 348 rims and put them on the 308 , I'm telling you it would look good. Anyway if you keep the BBS wheels , the car is still nice. :)

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    That would ruin the retro look of the 308 !

4. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Yeah maybe you're right. I guess having 360 or 348 rims would even hurt the handling of the car.

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Never seen it before. The wheels are aftermarket. You can get a set of reproduction QV wheels for $1700 or so, and ditch those others on Ebay.

The car looks quite decent, though it needs a thorough detailing, and removal of all those sheilds...well, at least the one on the back... :)

Could be a nice buy...get it checked out by a mechanic.

Good luck.

6. 4Webers

4Webers Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    I haven't seen this car, but I have been to Santiago SC to look at and drive a different 308 that they were selling, last Feb. The guys (Rocky and Nathan) that own and operate the shop are good guys from what I can tell. Rocky is heavily into DBx's, and even showed up last summer in a History Channel show about Aston Martins. They organize and sponsor a Classic Car auction twice a year in OKC, which is where this particular 308 first showed up. This was last summer, so I bet they did the belt service to sweeten the offer (there was no mention of a recent belt service when it was for sale last summer).

7. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Looks good - Do you know what is going on with the fuse cover on the dash? Is it just not screwed in properly, or is it broke?

8. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    The wheels are simply wrong, wrong, wrong.
    Other than that - All I can say is that it was Paul Sloan's '83 308 QV that prompted me to sign up and make my very post on F-Chat - after having lurked around F-Chat for a while (I was dissatisfied with the "feel" of other F-Communities).

To me, these particular 5 spokes (not original 5 stars) & his lowering treatment made the QV appear as new.

9. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    LSU308

That car has been for sale since before May. I thought about going to look at it but decided I didn't want black. He's been asking b/w $27 and $29K for it.

One of the KC Club members knows the owner (Rocky Santiago) and says he is a straight shooter, but definitly have a PPI done on the car before you buy. It's got A LOT of miles and definitly needs a good detailing.

If everything checks out, you should be able to get it for $25K or less IMO - based on the length of time it's been for sale.

PS When is LSU going to pay A&M that money they owe them? ;)

10. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Wow! Thanks for the info guys...replies in no particular order except for the first one:

Hopefully LSU will play A&M soon. I also went to A&M for undergrad. Graduated from LSU...ahem...screwed off at A&M. The Chicken is a wonderful place.

Thanks for the info on those wheel. My immediate response was WTF is that??? Those will have to go if I consider it seriously.

Can I get a follow up on the fuse box question? Where is it in the car. I will look again but my eyes are not educated Ferrari wise enough to spot that.

I fully intend to have a mechanic look her over before I go have a personal look at it.

I like the black ones. The first 308 I saw on the road was black - I was 10 or so...I remember it vividly. Red is also accpetable!

Do you know how many miles the car has?

Thanks,

-Mike
    GEAAAAAUX Tigers!

11. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #11 LSU348, Dec 21, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ok...either the fuse box reference was to the glove compartment (yellow arrow) or the wires coming out from under the steering wheel. That kind of concerns me. Wires don't get pulled down unless they were worked on. Electrical problems are not my idea of fun....the word fire comes to mind! How hard is it to fix that glove compartment hinge? I assume it is not a piece of cake as the previous owner did not do it. I am a rated/certified shade tree mechanic. Rarely do I have extra screws left over after a project is over.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F

On mine (and I assume the rest of the 308 line) that little knob just below the radio is what holds in that cover. That cover is over the fuse's for the car. The glove box for the GTB cars is behind/between the seats (the GTS cars do not have them as that's where the roof goes). Up by the door, where it's "falling open" is actually a little shelf that the cover slots into. It's a pretty weak hold up for that cover and mine has fallen before from just bumping. If you go look at the car, you could probably fix it while you just sit in the passenger seat in about 30-seconds.

Also, wires hanging down is also probably not a big deal. From that angle I can see all kinds of stuff on mine. These cars were not exactly built to strict quality control standards.

From memory, the car has ~88,000 miles on it and had a 30K service ~1 1/2 years ago (belts, tensioners, etc...).

This car was definitly a "driver" which is good and bad. If it was taken care of you'll be fine b/c the cars that are driven don't have the dried up hoses, suspension bushings, bearings, etc b/c they get worked out so to speak. It's the garage queens with 5K miles you want to avoild. If not taken care of, you'll end up doing all the crap you'd have done to that garage queen to make it run for the same money, and instead have a nice car with a lot of miles.

QV cars are going for $33k-$40K depending on miles, condition, color and upkeep. They're asking $27k which is reflective of it's miles/condition. A very nice, fully serviced, 25,000 mile Red/Tan GTB, was for sale in the DC area this summer for about 2-weeks for $36k (euro car to boot).

13. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    No, what you are seeing is typical Ferrari craftsmanship... Seriously.

I have a similar set of wires under the steering column on mine.

14. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks Sean and Peter.

15. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Any other thoughts on this one? 88,000 miles seems like a lot. I am thinking I may hold off for a bit. Does this one look like it is worth 25k? I really do not want to waste a bunch of time with this dealer if it is too much for too little.

How many miles do you guys have on your cars? Any 150k cars out there? I am assuming if I got this one that it will be getting a complete engine out servicing. I plan to ask the dealer what compression he gets on the cylinders - with the qualification being that I will check that first in person.

Thanks to the poster who pointed out "driven" vs "garage queen".

16. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    You would need a compression and leakdown test down. Typically when a 308/328 reaches that many miles, the top end will need refreshing. Low 20's is probably tippy top for this car...esp with the aftermarket wheels.

I'd wait, it will take some time, but you should be able to find a lower mileage example that is all original for low to mid 30's. It will hold it's value better too.

Play the numbers..say you get this car for 23k, then replace the wheels and tires for $2.5k, then rebuild the top end shortly there after...(never know) $6k. Now you are at $31.5k and you still have a very high mileage car...versus finding a nice 83-85 QV with the proper wheels with 45k miles for around $34k....

Don't fall prey to the "gotta have it now" syndrome...it will cost you...plenty!

You need to go and look at four or five 308's in person, or at an FCA meet. That way when the right one comes along, you'll know it, and not waste money on PPI's on cars that are not worthy of consideration.

17. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Got an update from the owner (below). Can anyone point me to a pricing guide that takes mileage into account? And does the below mentioned service imply that engine out work was done? I am betting the cam belts can not be taken out with the engine in the car.

Reply from dealer:

"Mike,
    The car has been for sale since May or June of 03. It has 82K miles
    At 79K it had ...New cam belts, Valve adjustment, oil change, engine
    service.
    It was sold new at FAF Atlanta. All the service to 68K miles was
    performed
    by FAF. It is all in the service book.
    It has receipt for service perform after it left Atlanta.
    It has a spare.
    Original wheels are not with the car.
    There are no body defects, including scratches or small dents,
    It has a clear title.
    Merry Christmas
    Rocky Santiago"

18. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

LSU - the car dsnt look bad in these photos. True the BBS wheels are aftermarket, but thats a metter of your personal taste. At least they are "period-correct". Paint looks nice, but an in-person inspection and qualified PPI shle be mandatory for a car of vintage and mileage. The fact that the owner left the dash panel unfixed, especially for classified photos dsnt sit well with me. What do I know!

Good luck!!!

19. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Just talked to the seller's broker - Rocky is selling it for a friend in Dallas. The car is currently in the Dallas area with the owner. This answers the questions about why it was not detailed and why that fuse panel is not fixed.

Chances are I will have a PPI done on it in Dallas. Going to digest the conversation I had with Rocky over the holidays.

20. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    BTW, the engine does not normally come out, except for rebuild. The major service can be performed with the engine in.

21. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Shameful punt to the top of the list...

BTW - this car is physically in Dallas, TX.