stuck 398 oil filter | FerrariChat

stuck 398 oil filter

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Doc, Dec 21, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    I am unable to get my oil filter off ! It is a Baldwin and was installed apprx 2k miles ago. I've used a rubber strap type wrench and a standard metal band-style oil filter wrench--and they dented the side of the filter instead of turning it. It just won't budge. Since the filter is smooth, I can't use one of those end wrenches which allows the use of a ratchet handle.

Any suggestions re: other wrenches/ techniques for getting this sucker off ? I'm concerned about the filter totally collapsing if I keep trying with my wrenches . It's very cold where I am--would heating it up a bit with a small electric heater help? What do think about those pump-plier type filter wrenches?

2. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    348, I assume.....take a phillips screwdriver and drive it through with a hammer. That should give you some leverage. I have a huge pair of channel locks that has never let me down too. But you probably don't have that.

BTW, I usually punch a hole in them with a screwdriver and let it sit for a minute anyhow to help the remaining oil in the filter drain out before I remove it cutting down on the mess.

d

3. Jerry Fisher

Jerry Fisher Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    I use one of the plier type w/ wide mouth.
    Gives much more leverage and worth the investment. Hopefully its not cross threaded.

4. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    Oops--i have a 308, not a 398! It seems that the plier-type remover is best. I'll pick one up pronto. thanks, fellow tifosi !

5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Doc,

It is totally ok if you crush the can with your tool or hammer a screw driver through and crank it off.

6. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Sorry to state the obvious but ......righty tighty, lefty loosey.

Tom

p.s. Unless you're south of the Equator. :)

7. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    Well, i got myself a nice jagged-toothed, pump-plier-type of filter wrench and it came right off. Thanks for the assistance--and Happy Holidays!