why winter storage? | FerrariChat

why winter storage?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 95spiderman, Dec 20, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

how many store modern fcars for winter?

1. drive as weather permits

2. put her away till spring

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    just hand washed, detailed and drove car around with top down today in long island. about 35 degrees and sunny, no wind. great day, car runs better than in hot weather without any squeeks.

why would anyone pay to keep modern fcar in winter storage?

2. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    For me the answer is one four letter word: salt.

3. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    I think that these cars ought to be either driven regularily or properly stored for the winter (battery, tires). Salt is probably not as much a problem nowadays than it used to be 20 years ago, steep temperature gradients may however be (lubrication, dilatation).
    One of the lousy excuses I got from Ferrari for the strain of leaking exhaust manifolds is that the alloy does not stand well winter temperature gradients ...

I must admit that I do regret the absence of seat heating in the 550, a shame for a car this price. Is this a freakin' option ?

4. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    The town that I live in salts and sands the roads when it's not even freezing. Being the time of the year when days are short it's either raining or almost freezing here.

It's sad to just look at the car detailed up sitting in the garage not able to drive it. When I go into the city I see quite a few 550's, 575's and 360's covered in salt and very dirty. Usually an old rich guy that will just be trading it in next year anyway.

DrewH

5. funshipone

funshipone Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2002
    Harrison Twp. Mi. US
    Full Name:
    John Bicsak
    To much Salt in Michigan

6. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    here in seattle we mostly have to deal with wet weather. so when the sun is out the car is out. or my motorcycle. depends on what im hankerin'.