328 Rear Shelf Cloth Lining | FerrariChat

328 Rear Shelf Cloth Lining

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mule, Dec 20, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    I know there were a lot of threads on how to clean this, but I found another route. Since my car is black/black, I didn't like the grey cloth under the rear window.

So I bought some fabric dye and some sponge brushes and re-did it black. Came out pretty good. Not going to win any concourses, but I like the black better. Don't know how well other colors would work. The black seems to cover and dry opaque.

2. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #2 Chiaro_Slag, Dec 20, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    That's awesome Mule - Post some pics! I would love to see it. :)

That cloth material gets dirty pretty easily - Black should definitely help that.

Here is mine I did in brown leather with coaching from Gianluca :
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #3 Chiaro_Slag, Dec 20, 2003
  4. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Slag,
    The pain you went through was one of the reasons I decided to dye it instaed of removing it and covering it. I got lucky that it was black. Easy match and it hides a lot.

Should have it done in a day or two. Still need to hit the corners and edges. I will post some pictures. Here is a "before". You can see the grey rear shelf, while everything else is black.

5. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Nice Mule - Can't wait to see the results - If you lived near me I could have helped you out - I definitely think removing all the panels would be easier the 2nd time around - Definitely a learning curve there! If any F-Chatter in the So Cal area are thinking of doing this, I can stop bye some weekend and lend a hand!

I could only find the wool material in one place & they wanted $400 or so for it - Crazy!

Your solution definitely sounds great - Should look excellent!

6. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Slag,
    Finished it today. I am waiting for it to dry so the color is consistant. I pulled it out in the sun today and so a lot of spots that needed a second coat.

The black dried well, but is a touch off-black, just a slight grey tint to it. The material was in fair shape to begin with, so some of the snags and marks are still there. Best part is that the few drips that hit the carpet don't show.

Overall, looks "good". But I don't think anyone is going to look twice or think it didn't come that way. Remember, mine is a 47K mile car, so the interior looks good, not concourse.

I also added some new floor mats (black with silver horse), and the red fire extinguisher mounted in front of the passenger seat. My new wheels should be here next week (GTO-style).

So my winter "fresh-up" came out well, with the wheels being the only expensive part. Maybe in a few years I will do the "Slag interior restoration."

I will post a picture of the interior later today.

7. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Nice - All your upgrades sound excellent! Nice work. :)

8. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Here's the new floor mats and fire extinguisher

9. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Here is the rear shelf. Still drying on the left and some of the edges. The "stripes" on the right is just the light coming through the vent side. Color dries very consistant. I will probably notice spots that need to be touched up over the next few weeks.

Sorry for the blurry picture.

10. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    Mule,

How did you place the fire extinguisher in front of that seat? (I have to built in a fire extinguisher in my 328)

Ton

11. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
  12. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Looks great Mule, congrats! Where did you get the mats? They look perfect in your car - nice colors combo. :)

13. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule

$99 off of Ebay from a seller in the Netherlands. Shipped very quickly. He has some red/black ones on their now, but you could email him and ask for other colors.

They are nice, well worth the money. The passenger side one is a little long, but it is on the front end, so it just tucks up under the dash.

Unlike your car, everything I look for is black. Your different colors look good together, but nothing would match with mine. You can wear any color shirt with tan trousers, but only black with black trousers. Know what I mean?

14. Ferrari_UK

Ferrari_UK Formula 3

Dec 6, 2002
    England
    Full Name:
    Jeff Howe
    Hi all.

If anyone needs them we have the Original trim pieces with aluminum backings in stock.

Cheers.

15. rjdavatar

rjdavatar Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Zurich, Switzerland

what is the procedure for dismantling the rear shelf, and the covers of the roll-bar etc
    above the rear self?

16. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #16 Chiaro_Slag, Dec 23, 2003
    1987 328 GTS

The windows need to be eased out - Gasket and all. The top is held in place by the black targa top fastener - Don't the targa top pieces all the way off - They are hard to get back on - Just loosen them. The back of the top is held in place by the brake light and the sides have a rivet in them. The back piece with 3 large red dots in the picture - This is the hardest piece to remove - It requires removing the thin heat shield in the engine. The 3 large dots indicate the threaded bolts - The nuts are under the heat shield & can be removed with 10mm deep sockets. Hope this picture helps - Let us know if you need more specifics.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Question to anyone with the answer: why does this "wet look" happen anyway? I just had my car fully detailed by Brian Strasburg aks "the professor" and he did an EXCELLENT JOB and he also got all the "wet stains" out and the shelf looks brand new. But I still want to know why it occurs. He told me it might be from the driver window in some cars not closing all the way (which is true on mine, you can feel an ever-so-slight draft) and this allows water spray in, but I do not drive in the rain. Any F chatters know what causes this?

FORZA FERRARI !!!

18. Douglas

Douglas Rookie

Apr 6, 2004