Holiday outing part 2 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Holiday outing part 2

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Bob308GTS, Nov 7, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    Bill

Good post

2. NoWives

NoWives Rookie

Nov 27, 2003
    Chicago, Il.
    Bill, I agree with Bob-- yours was an excellent post.

Please understand that I would NEVER criticize anyone with a medical condition and, if that situation should exsist here, I will be the first to apologize.

But I don't know that.

I do know this-- On 12/3/03 your Mr. Darolls opened a door, fired a salvo at some good people (you included, if you're an FCA member) and has not stopped since.

I see no medical condition, just a "bad boy" ( to use his terminology ) who knows exactly what he's doing and "luvin it".

Skip, and everyone else lately, seems more focused on WHO NoWives is and not focused on what NoWives is saying.

Hey, I'm not the problem here--just the messenger.

3. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I could care less as to who No Wives is. As I've said and will continue to say. I own a Ferrari to ENJOY it. Plain and Simple. No other reason. I joined the FCA as another venue in which to ENJOY my Ferrari. Thats all. I've been ENJOYING the FCA events that I have attended so far. Seem to have missed more than half of them somehow. Would just like to see some more organized Drives. Not just Parking events. And,we've been organizing some things on our own,too.Those were really great,and would like to see more participation next year. And,if I can make a suggestion to anybody that isn't all that happy with the FCA. There isn't a local branch of the F.O.C. (Ferrari Owners Club) in this area. Start one. I'd join that one,too. Then,I'd probably shut up about not having enough Ferrari events and Drives! :) (and why I also belong to TWO Corvette Clubs!)

4. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    Copied from "No Wives"
    "Skip, and everyone else lately, seems more focused on WHO NoWives is and not focused on what NoWives is saying."
    "Hey, I'm not the problem here--just the messenger."

Personally, I think this guy is drop dead weird. He posts messages, won't identify himself, says he's not the problem, and expects others to take what he is saying seriously?

The area has it's nuts & fruitcakes, and I for one don't respect, or acknowledge someone that hides in a "spider hole".
    Maybe we can suggest another chat room where he can play his juvenile game.
    Dave

5. NoWives

NoWives Rookie

Nov 27, 2003
    Chicago, Il.
    Yo Dave, lighten up -- this ain't rocket science, just a chat room. Don't worry, I'll be gone soon anyway.

6. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    NoWives-

What have you contributed to the club that you LOVE so much?

You don't even have the GUTS to expose yourself! Your not a MAN, as I assume you profess yourself to be.

Tell us who you are , so that we may know what you have contributed to the FCA.

Both Dave and I were members of the Board, we contributed our time, and we both worked events; as volunteers.

I worked at the Italian Village last year, and so did Dave,, I volunteered to work again this year; and so did Dave

I worked at Oak Street, ; and so did Dave.

At Mike's house, for the 'Prancing Horse Roundup'; both Dave and I hung around to help put things away (tables, chairs,etc.). Dave and I have also contributed articles to our regional News Letter; have you?

Your anonymous; so tell us what you've done for the 'Club'!

7. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Let me try and clear some things up.

I've read Bill's post, and he knows me very well; were very good friends.

Yes, I am an insulin dependent diabetic. And yes, during periods of insulin reactions, a diabetic's demeanor can change drastically, in an instant.

Unfortunately with me, these episodes usually occur late at night.

As Bill stated, my first post started out very nice, and then without reason, I changed topic midstream. I was having an insulin reaction, and had to eat immediately.

Very early this morning, I see I made another post. I did't even realize it until I looked at Chat later in the morning.

Only those that are very familiar with diabetes, and diabetics, can understand what changes take place in one's personality, when insulin reactions occur.

My intentions are not to malign anyone, or to be malicious in any way.

In a more lucid state, such as now, I must admit that some of the words I used to express my thoughts are not words I would normally use to convey a message.

If I've offended anyone; Mike, NoWives or whomever....I apologize. My intentions were not to do so.

Yes, I do have legitimate complaints, but please disregard some of the verbiage I use when my personality is in an altered state.

I am an active member of the FCA, and have tried to contribute to the club in anyway I can. Those that know me, know this to be true.

Also, those that know me, know what my 'normal' demeanor is. I'm not really a hostile person.

There are changes that can be made to better the club, as there are changes that can be made in any organization for its betterment.

If I didn't enjoy the club, I wouldn't be in it. And I'm not trying to tear it down, nor anyone in it.

I hope that this gives everyone a better understanding of my psyche and, again, I apologize to anyone whom I may have offended.

I'll try and stay away from my keyboard, when I'm having these diabetic reactions. :)

8. NoWives

NoWives Rookie

Nov 27, 2003
    Chicago, Il.
    O.K., O.K. Skip ( and all)-- This is all too weird even for me:

At 1:30 this A.M. you said I have " NO GUTS " and I wasn't even a "MAN" !! ( that's pretty strong stuff, huh ?? )

At !:00 this P.M. you are apoligizing to everyone. ???

As this has all gotten way too deep and complicated and will serve no purpose to continue , I now restate what I told Bill: that " I would NEVER criticize anyone with a medical condition....etc."

I stand by my statement and I now clearly apoligize to you and anyone else who may have been offended on this site.

9. screentime

screentime Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Malibu & Chicago
    Full Name:
    Sean McKee
    DAROLLS wrote:

"Also, those that know me, know what my 'normal' demeanor is. I'm not really a hostile person."

I have to agree with this from personal experience. I've met Skip at both Oak Brook and Prancing Horse, and rode with him on the Batavia drive while operating a video camera (while my car was in the shop). The next day at Monroe St., my wife took off to go shopping, and when the event ending and she hadn't returned, Skip hung out with me (along with Dave for a while) for several hours after the event was over, and we sat on the bench and talked. Skip seems to be a genuinely nice person, and gave up the opportunity to go drive around with others to keep me company while waiting for my wife so I wouldn't be sitting on the sidewalk alone. Thanks man.

10. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    Really nice post Sean !

11. NoWives

NoWives Rookie

Nov 27, 2003
    Chicago, Il.
    Bill365: Thank you.

12. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yup. Gotta agree with Sean. The few times that I've met Skip,he's been a really nice guy. He's O.K. in my book.

13. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    NoWives,
    De nada...

14. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I think that Skip is almost an OK guy,

no matter what everybody says...... (8->}

15. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Thanks for your support guys, your posts are truly appreciated!

Ceptin' Billiam's, of course......... The old reprobate. ;)

16. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'm a bit tardy in my response. Just got back from NY.

WMD = weapons of mass destruction

Sorry for the jargon, I used to be a nuclear/chemical/biological warfare officer in the army. So I saw a tiny spider nibble on some glowing plutonium and turn into tarantulla.
    :)

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    You need a tubi, trust me. All 308/328 without the carbs need one. Simple as that to get that castrated sound back to normal.

Talk to Heiko (hgparts, a sponsor on FChat). He sent me once in car footage of 328 with and without tubi. It is day and night.

As I said before, once the catalysts come out, a tubi goes in (although these events are not necessarily related).

18. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Andreas-

To buy a Tubi is one heck of a price to pay, just to create a different exhaust cacophony. I don't know of anyone, who ever said that they received an increase in performance, because they installed a Tubi!

Tubi says there is a horsepower gain with their product, it ain't so!

The same goes for K&N air filters, no one will notice a difference in performance because they installed their product.

Agreed, removing the cats will make a difference.

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Tubi's aren't cheap. True.

Whether they increase hp I can't say, but the common belief is, that they give you an added 10 hp. Probably Mike Eberhard (from FChat) could prove it.

K&N filter do give you 10 hp. Don't have to believe me. Ask e.g. Rob Lay who did dyno measurements and has the proof on paper.

Whether one feels those added 10 hp is another question. 10 hp by themselves I doubt I feel myself, but once you start stacking them up and reduce the weight of your car, you will notice a difference.

If you only want the sound you could go with a Stebro or Ansa exhaust. They do basically the same as the tubi, cost a lot less, but don't look as cool. On a 308/328 the chrome of a tubi is kinda hard to see if you leave everything else stock. However discussing the sound differences here I won't do: It is THAT obvious. Just listen to Bob's 308 and then to mine, the sound is worlds apart. A tubi fixes that issue. BTW: In the Forza buyer's guide they compared the various differences in the 308 series and had to say, that the missing sound is the big minus on the later models.

Tubis are avail with or without the connections for the catalysts. That's why I'm waiting until I can get rid of the catalysts alltogether. A good bargain on tubis can be had from hgparts.com.

20. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Hi Guys,
    As for the Tubi, exhaust systems can definitely increase HP, I have seen many of dyno plots that demonstrate the advantage of replacing a restrictive/quiet system with a system tuned for performance with less regard for db levels.

Now the K&N, I have seen too many Dyno plots that show there is a negligible difference between them and a good paper filter. The K&N's generally start (when new or freshly cleaned) with a slight advantage but this is usually gone within 100-200 miles. Over the long term a paper element generally has the power advantage. I do use K&N or other washable filters on a few machines and do prefer them mainly for the fact that they are reusable, saves me the trouble of finding and procuring new ones.

Regards,
    Bill

21. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Let me rephrase, installing a Tubi alone may give a negligible horsepower gain, but I don't think it will give you a performance increase you'll feel in the seat of your pants. Right Dave?

But, as Andreas said, every little bit helps.

22. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    How about some "Grandpa Munster" pipes sticking up through the rear deck vents? Now THAT would be cool! (HeeHeeHee!! :) )

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    You know there is one movie with the Munster family in which they race with those pipes mounted to a coffin. They actually beat a participating Ferrari. Which of course tells you that the movie is unrealistic...

24. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    There is a guy in Lombard that has a Street Rod,with a real Coffin body. It is called "Dragula",and has a Illinois license plate that says Dragula,too.It has a big Motor sticking out in the front,with some pipes sticking straight up.4 on each side. He can light them up on fire. And,the flames shoot up really high. You can feel the heat of those flames from 50 feet away! It is pretty cool. He's usually in the Lombard Lilac Parade that is held every May,weekend after Mothers Day.

25. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    THAT's the kind of stuff Europeans dream of! You could never get away with that in Europe and it is so cool to see this on the street.

When I was in Goodwood last summer where they had tons and tons of antique racecars including many Ferraris and F1 cars, the ultimate show stopper was an American guy with a hot rod that drove litterally on the rear two wheels and spit fire.

Maybe I'll meet Mr. Dragula at one of the car shows next year. My car next to his coffin would make for another version of "The beauty and the beast".