Working on a Sunday, but.. | FerrariChat

Working on a Sunday, but..

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by hedge, Dec 21, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    ..the drive in made it worth it.

Never brought the f-car to central London before - sun shining, roof off, driving round central London with minimal traffic - brilliant. I've also not to date experienced so much attention - one girl on an open top bus had me posing for photo's (it would have been rude not to oblige, you understand!)

Lot's of pointing and stares - I actually wasn't sure what to do...do you guys ignore/smile/sit trying to look cool while singing along to the radio, and smiling if you catch their eye (my chosen method with said cute blonde with camera)?

What do you do?

2. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Tricky one. My experience is that a stoney look into the middle distance is the best policy.

Smiling back at people or acknowledging peoples' attempts at communication (flashed lights etc) has usually resulted in much rude comment and w****er hand signals. So I've given up.

I found I got a much easier time in my E type Jag. Generally in the Fcar I am unappreciated.

Maybe it's just me!

3. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    i love seeing nice cars in london. my grandparents (where i stay) live on putney hill and i just walk up and down there every day and i'm amazed by the amazing cars that go by. I love/miss England :(

4. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Hi robert,cant understand why and i hope some of you ferrari owners will help me a little on this subject,why someone would give a ferrari driver the w####r hand signals it's just beond me or have i lost the plot or somthing here,i dont own a ferrari because i can't afford one at the moment-do i lose any sleep over it-no-do i get to enjoy the ferrari experience-yes thats why i enjoy f-chat you get so much closer to it thanks to all the chaps all over this web site,the problems you have with ferrari's,the driving and owning experience,so why do idiot's like this have to resort to stupid behaviour,i see a 360 spider everyday in the summer up and down my road and when i see it i tend to get a bit of a tear in the eye,it goes and sounds super,must find out who this guy is he needs to know about f-chat one is thinking here,
    cheers
    Dale.
    ps
    cant wait to meet you chaps in feb at bruntingthrope,
    havent told the girlfreind im going yet.

5. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    I agree it's a tough one; if you are all smiles to passers-by , they think your'e a flash bas*ard, if you stare straight ahead you are an arrogant bas*ard ! Kids are great with the car, thumbs up and big smiles, i always give them a toot . Their dads are normally giving it the W***** sign as i drive past!!!!
    Tony

6. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    Give them a good blast of the right peddle.

Do you ever get people winding down their window just to hear you go past ?

7. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    I'll never forget the first time I picked up my Fcar.

Driving back on a bright Saturday afternoon on the M25, I was given absolutely no quarter. Everyone from an Imprezza to a Skyline would pull up alongside and then roar off into the distance; trying to make a point I suppose. 2 XK8s, an Aston, and a few 911s did the same (it was a good day for car spotting!). Ironically, I felt the worse treatment I recieved was at the hands of two other Ferrari owners. Two separate incidents, I saw then coming up in my rear view, to I turned to exchange a conspiratorial smile as they passed, and on both occasions I got blanked! Blanked!!

Perhaps I was paranoid that day because since then, I have noticed it less; perhaps in coming to terms with the fact that you actually own an FCar, you take on a serenity. And If you are polite and deferential, people will talk to you (when parked of course!), and inevitably enthusiasm is contagious, and I flatter myself to believe that I have made a few peoples day by letting them sit in it, and on occasion, press the loud pedal gently. Kids love it when you pop up your headlights when driving along!

We should see ourselves as ambassadors of the marque, and I relish every opprtunity to bring down the wall that non-Ferrari owners seem to have built up between us and them; on the whole the Ferrari owners I have met (especially here), have been polite, friendly, and down to Earth.

And on that warm note may I wish you all a Messy Crimble, and a Haggy Old Dear.....

Stig

BTW, Dont forget the poll

http://www.druidmedia.co.uk/answ2002/ferraripoll.htm

8. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Richard,
    People hear the de-cat Tubi coming from quite a distance and i'm always encouraged to blast it past them..... so i oblige, naturally!
    Tony

9. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    Tony,

Aiming to stick a Tubi on in Spring. Think/assume I'm currently running stock at the moment and that's loud enough. Took it for a blast last night when it dried up - a nice cold quiet evening - it felt and sounded supberb. Can't wait for a Tubi.

10. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Richard,
    defo. do it.You will think your'e driving a different car.Can't remember if it was you i got talking to about a tubi in previous post, but i've got some digi-pics of exhaust at home if you want to see difference over stock....
    Tony

11. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc

12. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Marc,
    glad to hear it.....but you know all the other drivers are thinking it!
    Tony

13. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    From my experience two things to note:

1) The w**ker thing is purely British. For proof drive down the Embankment road from Westminster to Blackfriars on a weekend morning when all the other users are tourists on their tour buses. You get treated like a real filmstar. Pictures are taken every 10 yds, smiles abound and every one is pleased to see you.

2) Boy racers. I have a 360 spider and until a few months ago, I met relatively few of them trying it on. Overall they knew that sooner or later they would be left for dead so didn't bother. Since putting a tubi on though this has changed markedly. The noise is heard before they see me and they have the same thing written on their foreheads - " That guy has a sports exhaust he must luv racing, so here goes". They still lose!

14. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    "That guy has a sports exhaust he must luv racing, so here goes".

looks like "max power" boys have a fight on their hands!
    Tony

15. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    I have never understood that lot.

To make a Citroen Saxo go quicker, they load it up with four tons of plastic that touches their wheels every time they go over a manhole cover and then whack a 3 ton stereo in the boot.

Go figure.........

16. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    It's all about getting "the props" on the street......

Don't know what it means either!
    Tony

17. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    Hi Tony - yes it was me who you were talking to about the Tubi.

Thinking I might get the Tubi (de catted), air filters (K&N ?) and maybe even a re chip.

18. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Richard,
    i 've had both done by Scuderia , but not chipped.Just mail if i can help with anything.
    Tony

19. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    LOL, Bang on Izza,
    Dale.

20. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Dale, sadly not everyone is as open-minded as you! I suspect it is a British thing; the attitude "you've got something nice, you git, so I'll scratch it or spoil it for you in some other way". I'm not trying to make a statement by driving a Ferrari, I just love it and if other people do too then that's great. I'm only too happy to let enthusiasts crawl all over it as that's what its' all about.

I don't leave it where I can't see it, as I worry about it getting vandalised. Which is a real shame.

21. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    Hi Marc,

Interesting thread. Wow, owning my car in the UK is going to be quite an experience it seems! :confused: I never had problems (like those described above) in Europe - only admiring looks, beaming faces, excited kids and approving smiles from fathers.

I have frequently opened the engine bay and/or started up the engine for fathers and sons who have approached me to take a look. Stig hit the nail on the head - we are ambassadors of the marque, and I try to behave as such. Like Robert, I am not trying to make a statement - I salivated over Ferraris for 41 years before taking the plunge, and love everything about my car. I try to share this enthusiasm with others.

Nevertheless, I will take Rob's advice and, now that I'm permanently back in the UK, will never leave the car where I can't see it. Sad. :(

Cheers, MARK

22. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG

You forgot the most important part of Saxo tunning, you get another 150bhp if you have your front fog lights on when its perfectly clear ( £60 fine and 3 points if the Police stop you!)

23. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Hi Andrew,I will agree these chaps do seem to be getting an extra 150 bhp with the front fogs on,I just thought the large gain they get 1,200 bhp in (macdonalds car park) qualifying trim was down to the only visible
    segment of the entire exhaust system,the last few inches,it is tempting to let look's overtake efficiency,take a close look at the exit pipes on a F1 car they are not that big they dont need to be,or are those clever F1 engineer's missing something the saxo boys secretly know,
    Dale.