Old Body Style S500 | FerrariChat

Old Body Style S500

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Teenferrarifan, Dec 20, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    What are your opinions of the old body style S500. They are very cheap now at about $20k and really sharp looking cars IMHO. I am sure some people here have had first hand experiences with them. What are the pros and cons? Thanks in advance
    Erik

2. mr. green

mr. green Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 31, 2003
    I have heard once they go out of warranty they can be pricey to fix.
    I believe this has to do with the computer system inside the car.

3. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Pro: I had both a coupe and a convertible (previous body styles) and they felt far more substantially built than their successors...more like a "Real Benzes" if you know what I mean. No real trouble to speak of over three years. Now a good value for the money.

Con...The old body style definitely looks dated.

DL

4. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I agree with you darth my dad drives an 02 CL500 and my neighbor has a 95 S500 with 45k on it and he is thinking about selling it. He bought it new and I remember he paid like 100K so he lost so much that he says it doesn't make sense to sell. I think I can pick it up cheap. The car though feels more like a benz then my dads CL no doubt in my mind. Just feel the glass in the windows it is like a cm thick. Then the radio I think sounds better and it has heated rear seats standard and my dads 02 CL doesn't. Anyone else
    Erik

5. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    aaahhhhh, the W140 S-class. I think it is the best S-class made. The new ones were built with accountants holding the reins and it shows. The 92-99 S-classes were built as a no-holds barred luxury car. The S500 is a fantastic car. The body style has aged a bit but is still timeless beauty in my eyes. The interiors are top notch and the fit and finish is wonderful. The things are rolling tanks. I love them!

The down side(if you consider it one) is that like any expensive car they can be costly to maintain. The A/C systems are prone to problems and because of the labor hours to get to it repairs usually run in the thousands. They are reliable cars when maintened, but you have to be willing to stomach a few thousand dollar repair every now and then. Find a used one that is well sorted and meticulously maintained and you will have a gem.

6. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I love them, and think they (and the last-gen SL) where the last REAL Benzes before the MBA cost-slashing mentality took over. A neighbor had one and it is still the most posh luxury car I've ever ridden in (Ferraris excluded).

Case-in-point: the new Lexus LS 430 is an absolute Japanified copy of the last S-class, and a recent C&D picked it as the best luxury car on the market, 3 places above the current S-Class!

I just told my friend last week that if I had a family (he has a baby) and I wanted the best $20k car, I'd get a nice '94 S-Class. I tried for a '96-98 E-class or CLK myself, but my wife was adamant they were old man cars.

The kicker: two weeks ago she sees our friend (who's hubby goes to HBS) driving a white/tan E320 (looked 99-ish), and she says, "Ohh, I *like* her car. It's so nice!" Argh! When I brought up the fact I had talked about one (we even went to a local dealer and kicked tires), she said she never *really* considered it at the time...

7. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

I sold those new for 7 years and they are the best car in the world if you are looking for a sedan. It's also the safest car in the world.....just ask Princess Diana's ex-bodyguard.

Buy one of the 95.5+ versions because that is when they did a face lift on the car to improve upon the bulky appearance of the 92-95 models.

The S600 is absolutely fanatastic, but the V-12 engine has a reputation as a "leaker".......so be forewarned.

The major problems are as follows........

Door closers often fail..............$1,500 CAD

Instrument clusters fail on early cars.............$2,500 CAD

Front lower control arms fail on early cars.......$3,000 CAD

Rear backup antenna failures...........$1,000 CAD

Transmission valve bodies fail on early cars....$4,500 CAD

Camshaft oil lines fail on all cars..............$1,000 CAD

Radio LED's fail with age.............$varies if OEM or aftermarket used