308 wheel-arch engine access panels | FerrariChat

308 wheel-arch engine access panels

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by rjdavatar, Dec 21, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rjdavatar

rjdavatar Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Zurich, Switzerland
    What is the correct manouvre to remove the engine access panels
    in the 308 wheel arches?

I have removed the all the studs, and anticipated that the panel could be shaken free in a rearward, and downward direction. But, although the panel is loose in its mounting, it is still firmly trapped in its mountings.

For example, the outer rim of the panel rests on the top of the inwardly turned lip of the body in the wheel arch. I am having difficulty getting the panel clear of that lip.

I would be pleased to have some advice.

It is so sad to be stick so soon!

2. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    What I do is to rotate it a little clockwise to get the front out of it's groove. Then flex the front part inward (out of the groove) and rotate counterclockwise a little and it should drop down and fall out. Good luck.

3. Dandy_Don

Dandy_Don Karting

Dec 8, 2003
    The Woodlands TX
    Full Name:
    Don McCormick
    I have removed them a few times and just remember playing around with them and pulling and twisting until they came out. Not sure that anyone else will know the exact procedure, but they do come out. I recommend that you just keep trying using different maneuvers until they do . Sorry I can't be of more help Don

4. Jet Lag

Jet Lag Karting

Dec 6, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Robert Bangs
    "For example, the outer rim of the panel rests on the top of the inwardly turned lip of the body in the wheel arch. I am having difficulty getting the panel clear of that lip."

This is what works for me:
    pull down on the inner side as you push up on the panel (higher into the wheel well) to un-tuck it from the wheel arch. The cut-away for the shocks will allow it to rotate so the 'outer rim of the panel' will go up and a couple inches above the 'turned lip of the body' Then rotate the panel by pulling down on the back of the panel ( rotate clockwise on port side and counter clockwise on starbord side. Once you get that far you should be able to work them out..... at least that is what works for me with my '79 308GTS.

While you've got them out, clean out & inspect the inside of your rear quarters.

About every other year I spray my panels with fresh pure rubber undercoat while I have them out - keeps them looking nice & new.

hope this helps, & good luck... Getting them back in can be even more fun than getting them out ;-)

5. pete04222

pete04222 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Maine, USA
    Full Name:
    Peter Cyr
    Like Don said, I've had them out a few times but can't remember the exact method.
    I believe it was the front portion that gave me the most difficulty. As I recall, I just wiggled and pushed until it popped out. It is a pretty rugged piece so don't worry about giving it a little extra "assistance" to get it out.

6. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    rjda, make sure you have all the screws out first. There's was a screw on the top of the panel, on mine, as well. There should be 7 screws total I think.

7. rjdavatar

rjdavatar Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Zurich, Switzerland
    OK, done it!

Thanks for the advice, all.

Mainly:
    1. the rubber seal on the outboard edge of the panel was adherring to the
    inward lip of the body. I separated them with a broad, thin piece of metal.
    2. i needed the confidence (gained from you) to really tug the panel about. I was reluctant to do that initially, thinking that there might be some hidden tongue-and-loop arrangement behind the panel or above the panel.

I am pleased to see how much access to the motor there is, with the panel and air-duct removed. I was expecting much worse!