where to get baldwin oil and air filters? | FerrariChat

where to get baldwin oil and air filters?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jbrosseau, Dec 20, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    whats a good source to get a baldwin oil and air filter for a 79' 308? i refuse to pay $40 and $175 for UFI filters from ferrari of seattle.

2. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Do you know the Baldwin part numbers you need? I have had good luck in the past getting Baldwin items from WOFSCO (Williams Oil Filter) in Tacoma. Phone 253-627-8163 or www.wofsco.com . They might be worth a try. There should be a Baldwin distributor in Seattle as well.

3. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I got a UFI air filter for my 308 from Dennis McCann Parts a few months ago and it was about $40. (I thought that was pretty steep, but $175? Holy crap!)

http://www.allferrariparts.com/parts_list.cfm

I don't know if he has the oil filters, but he probably does.

Birdman

4. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Look at the Baldwin site for a local distributor. http://www.baldwinfilter.com/

Try to find a business that supplies the "big rig" trucking industry, Every town has at least one, Seattle should have a dozen to choose from. They probably won't have them in stock but can get them quick.

For the carb 308 "74-"79: oil is B253, air is PA2094. Should be about $9/$45 respectively. As for fuel filter elements you need to know if you have a FISPA or FIAMM filter. It is cast into the top of the filter housing next to the fuel pump. FISPA=PF834, FIAMM=PF866, $8 to $12 depending on which you need.

Baldwin has earned a excellant reputation in an industry where performance, durability, quality and economy of operation is everything.

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    As mentioned, check the Baldwin site. There are two good ones in Seattle, one in Ballard, the other near King County Int'l Airport. The both stock the oil filter...you may have to special order the air filter. They make a air filter for a carb 308?

BTW, the best source for factory parts is not an FNA dealer...use Ferrari UK or one of the many resources in the USA like T.Rutlands or our sponsors. Factory UFI filters can be had for close to half the prices you are quoting.

Three years ago, I was paying around $14 for an UFI oil filter, and $90 for the UFI air filter from T. Rutlands.

6. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    thanks alot for all the good info. i now have a good place to start.

7. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Another good place in Seattle to buy Baldwin filters is Shultz Distributing, 6851 E. Marginal Way So., 206-682-8427.

The last time I bought B-253 oil filters from them, they were only $8.88 each!

8. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    (Mr. Burn's voice) EXCELLENT!!!

9. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Bought a UFI oil filter from T Rutlands last Sept. for about $17.

10. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
  11. robertinOK

robertinOK Karting

Dec 5, 2003
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    RobertWakeling.com
    I have just replaced the oil filters on my boxer (same filter as the 308 I think) and went through the smae dillemas....ended up using Mobile1 filters. They seem very well made, heavy duty, and weigh about 50% more than Frams etc. The inside element is synthetic rather than paper.
    I use Mobile 1 oil (15W50) which these filters were designed to work with. They cost me $11.00 each at my local store. Recommended.

12. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Robert,
    the Mobil 1 filter, while nicely constructed, is NOT recommeded for the 308/328/Mondial/v-12 Columbo engines since they are mounted gasket down, and are specified to have a filter with an internal stand-pipe that helps to retain oil in the filter for start up protection (builds oil pressure sooner). While the benefits of the standpipe are often debated...it is preferable to have it, and is recommended by Ferrari.

I believe in your application the filter is mounted gasket up, so the standpipe has no relevance, since the oil will collect in the filter anyway.

13. robertinOK

robertinOK Karting

Dec 5, 2003
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    RobertWakeling.com
    Dave, you are quite correct...this is not an issue with the Boxer, but may be with the 308 series. However, most filters I've looked at have had an anti drain valve, but not sure if this is true of the mobile1 filter; can anyone confirm this? It really is a nice filter, especially with the mobile1 oil.

14. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Robert,
    I'm no expert on these filters, but my understanding is that most all oil fiters indeed, do have a anti-drain back valve, but that works for those holes in the outer ring...since the central hole does not have the valve, all the oil drains right out of the filter and back into the sump. That is the purpose of the standpipe, it assists in retaining the oil, and keeping it from draining out of that central hole.

All 308/328/Mondial/V-12 Columbo owners would be advised to stick with the recommended filters with the standpipe. The best being the UFI and Baldwin.