Ever been SKYDIVING??? | FerrariChat

Ever been SKYDIVING???

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by JSinNOLA, Dec 20, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    This morning I was fortunate enough to step out onto the wheel of a small airplane and jump off 7 seconds later! Since it was my first time I decided to go tandem, so I can't take credit for doing much of the hard work.

For anyone considering doing something like skydiving I HIGHLY recommend doing it. I was with 7 family members celebrating a bachelor day for my cousin's upcoming wedding. The funniest part is that the bachelor wasnt informed about our adventure until he got to the drop zone!!! :)

I was the first one to jump, and was very surprised at the lack of nervousness I had. In fact, I think I was more nervous last week when I was taking my last final of the semester.

Most everyone else that I went with agreed that nerves never were a big factor because once you commit to get into the plane the only thing you have time to think about is doing EXACTLY what the instructor tells you to do. Next thing you know you are standing outside of a plane about to take the plunge. Our dive was from 11000 feet, with the parachute opening at 4000 feet. That gave us 40 seconds of freefall; which in retrospect only felt like 15 seconds. All of a sudden the chute opens(not a violantly as i expected) and you float like a feather back to the ground.

I now would like to be able to learn how to jump without an instructor. Like I said, if you ever have a chance to do this do not turn it down.

Anyone else try this or have any thoughts?

2. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    I HAVE to try skydiving. Ive been itching to go for years. My parents wont let me though :)

Nothing is cooler or more exciting than jumping out of an airplane.

3. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I was informed that I was going to do this only about 5 days ago. So I figured that I really couldn't fink out for my cousin's bachelor day celebrations. I think that by choosing to go first I delayed the inevitable, which happened to prevent me from overthinking what I was about to do:)

It had been something I had always wanted to do, but I doubt I would have done it on my own without circumstances like this. As a side note, it was bordeline humorous when the pilot walked up to the plane and said, "Oh ****! Its been a long time since I have flown this piece of crap!" LOL.....sorta!

To do a tandem jump is very inexpensive(about $200) and the training was literally about 10 minutes long. Again, it was a good thing I didn't have much time to talk myself out of it!!!

4. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    I have about 115 jumps. That really isn't much, considering a lot of people have 1000's.

You are right, it is a wonderful experience. After the plane gets a bit away, the silence and the view are breathtaking. Just don't let the ground bite you.

5. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Wonderful experience that I am convinced can bring you closer to God. Although I have never jumped as a civilian, I attended US Army Airborne School about 16 years (and 40 pounds) ago and was on jump status for a brief time as a young officer.

There is no sensation like jumping out of a C-141 Starlifter in full gear, M-16 ready on a moonlight night. That, my friends is a rush! HOOAH!

6. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    I hate heights. I have said this since I was a kid. When I had the chance to stand on the Eifel tower, I could not go to the edge for over 15 minutes. I hate heights.

Two days later, 15000 feet in a small plane over Interlaken Switzerland jumping (tandem) out of a plane, came over all my fears. This is one of those things EVERYONE needs to experince. The thrill, the rush, the speed.....everything....I describe freefall as sitting in an IMAX theatre with a 120 mph fan blowing in your face.

Jordan, hope your parents will let you soon. You have to do it!

R

7. BRaskin

BRaskin Rookie

Nov 13, 2003
    Is it true that you don't feel like your falling. Like a roller coaster? I heard from a few friends that there is no sensation of dropping?

8. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Pretty much. I did a tandem jump a few years ago and would love to do it again. I was never afraid, the only thing was a sense of amazement that I was actually standing in the open door of an airplane. 1-2-3 and GO! I just concentrated on maintaining my "arch" position and kept an eye on my wrist altimeter. When it hit 7500 feet, I pulled the cord and watched that beautiful chute open over my head. Then it was just a peaceful ride down. I never had a sense of free fall, just LOUD wind rushing by. BIG RUSH.

Mark

9. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Ya I went with a freind when I was in my 20's.
    He forgot to flare and came down on the tac way "asphalt"
    broke his ankle in 3 spots. Needless to say we never went again.
    silly kids.:)

10. ronr

ronr Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2002
    DFW, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I started skydiving in college (some time ago...), made 600 jumps. Got distracted by other activities and dropped out. Still miss it a lot. Everybody should try it, nothing else like it! Be sure to pay for the video guy, you won't regret having pictures later.

11. Ferrari

Ferrari Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Sooooooo much fun . . .

12. Ferrari

Ferrari Karting

Nov 2, 2003
  13. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

I did 16 jumps when I was in the army to qualify for my airborne jump wings.

The one thing thing that amazed me was how quiet it is.

14. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    ROFTLMAO! yes - it can do that if you're not careful ;).

two pieces of advice re: skydiving.

(1) research the facility you're working with. there are really great facilities and some really shady facilities. be careful - this is your life you're messing with - don't skimp on cheapo skydiving outfits.

(2) before you decide skydiving is for you, get your life insurance policies in order. not because you're likely to die, but because skydiving is on the short-list of activities the insurance companies do not like to see and for which they will charge you extra.

my two drachmas.

doody.

15. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    My girl and I went in Vegas this May at what I think is the biggest tandem facility in the country. Here's what happened:

The freefall wasn't scary, but I don't remember it.

I passed out towards the end after the chute was pulled.

When I woke up I threw up.

I was dead tiredd the rest of the day.

I also had chest pain from the harness yanking me for about two weeks.

I'll do it again, but not for a long time.

Luke.

16. tigermilk

tigermilk Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    James P. Smith
    I think I'll skip it thank you. My aunt's husband was a skydiving instructor. Notice the word "was." He did many thousands of jumps. Was doing a tandem with a new student from England one day. Parachute failed to completely open. He was able to rotate so that the hit the ground first. This miraculously saved the student but killed him. I guess I'm one of those folks that doesn't see much sense jumping out a perfectly good airplane.

17. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i've always wanted to jump out of an airplane... Sky surfing has always been something i want to try, as well... Hopefully, one day, it'll happen... i admire you folks who have done it... The pictures posted look awesome... i can only imagine what it's like, to be suspended thousands of feet above the earth's surface... It very well DOES look relaxing and peaceful...

18. adamr

adamr Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    I went a few years ago as part of a business outing. I was a customer visiting a vendor's site and was being introduced around the office; someone said "Hey, want to go skydiving on Thursday?". Of course my response was something along the lines of "!@#@ yeah!". Anyhow, they paid for the whole thing and the video.... and were COMPLETELY freaked out when the realized I was actually going to go through with it along with the possibility that my CEO would be pissed at them for potentially killing me. Anyhow, it kicked-ass and we kept it hush-hush.

19. ronr

ronr Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2002
    DFW, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron

Sounds like you got your money's worth!!

Probably could've had the same experience drinking half a bottle of tequila. :D

20. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    I've always wanted to try this...go figure, I'm not too keen of roller coasters, but want to jump out of an airplane.

21. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Karting

Nov 1, 2003

The feeling is nothing like roller coasters. It feels like there is a giant fan under you. I recommend it to anyone and everyone because it is one of the most exciting things that I have ever done. If this thread is still going tomorrow I will posts some pics. I have only done tandem jumping but it is still a rucsh from 13,500 feet falling at 176 per second. I am looking forward to going this spring so if there is anyone who is in the NY/NJ area, let me know if you want to meet up.

DES, do you have the guts?

22. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Karting

Nov 1, 2003

John, Where di you go skydiving?

23. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    #23 redhead, Dec 23, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'll restate this......--
    "....I describe free-fall as sitting (or lying) in an IMAX theater with a 120 mph fan blowing in your face"

This is the guy I trusted my life with......yeah....I do look petrified for a reason :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    #24 redhead, Dec 23, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  25. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name: