The Story of Your First Car | FerrariChat

The Story of Your First Car

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by ryalex, Dec 20, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    For car guys particularly, your very first set of wheels occupies a special place in your heart - for good or for bad reasons!

Please share your story here...

I guess I'll go first:

I had just gotten back to college and was surprised with some extra scholarship money, a gift from family, and had a Swiss friend who offered to finance me (banker blood?). I was having a hard time getting a date for the first time ever (in my time out of school I had gained 80lbs - Prednisone); I bought the car the night I test drove it; yes, test drove and bought at night... I know, I know. It was an '88 190E 2.3, 145k mi., $3400. Had a fairly new transmission and some other work (right away I put a new master cylinder and pads on it, totalled $190 and some rides to town for my mechanic buddies, that was all I did the first year, except oil/filters).

So, as happens when you go to college in the boondocks, you become a popular friend when you get a car - my friends found their new taxi. One night I'm in the library and my best friend comes up and asks me to drive this girl around to run errands, oh, and he wanted to go shopping, etc. too. I said no, but caved when he pestered and offered to make dinner for me. So I met this girl and was being a real punk. Just being dumb cause I was rather miffed at females at the time. But she played along and joked around and even made a lie that she liked cars and had even sat in a McLaren F1 (I bought it); and was impressed by the Mercedes. At the end of the night I was impressed by this cute girl and asked her out. She tried to dodge me, but my buddy was still in the car and pressured her to go out with me (she already had dates lined up for Fri and Sat...).

We were engaged two months later and married that summer. The car ran for two years with only minor maintenance; never failed once. Everyone thought it was nearly new and worth $20k+. My friend backed it into a new truck and caused $1400 in damage to the back, I sold it 6 mos later (at 170k+ mi), unrepaired, for $3200. I told the guy it would help him find a wife ;-).

2. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    81 Honda Accord
    Brother had it
    Sister had it

Then I got it

Hurst Shifter went into it---1st
    Then, it went to Hollister Hills (4wd Park) and got a lil muddy...ok, it did not change from mud brown for 3 months, installed a *****in stereo, and then I let my older brother drive it when he was home from school.
    1st thing- Parked in driveway, and stero was stolen...door left unlocked.
    2nd thing- Parked at HIS work, a tree falls on it. My Fav car in the world, and my brother ruins it.

Loved it, untill he touched it again.

My .02 franc

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Well gotta say it was my corvette. My father and I restord that car from the ground-up. New frame,windsheild/cabin pillars, the works. that car will always have a speacial meaning for me. That car is the reason i'm a mechanic today!! It really tought me alot about mechanical things in general. The Ferrari was more of a dream realized..I still can't beleive I own one...and i've had it for almost 3 years!!

4. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Im lucky to have the car that I have right now --its a great first car! A 99' Mustang svs with 40k miles. We came across this car at a dealership in Newport Beach and the price was just so great we couldn't pass it up! I had a little bit of money saved up but my parents were kind enough to chip in for most of it as a reward for keeping my grades up and accomplishing a lot in music. Im very fortunate to have it and hopefully I am earning it --still slowing paying them back in a couple of ways.

Its the ideal first car...Fast enough to have fun in, but slow enough that I wont kill myself in it. Its a manual transmission and learning to drive a stick on my first car has been great...allowed me to be able to drive a few Ferraris as well! Its reliable, comfortable, and best of all: I can fit my 7ft. tall Bass in it! Just BARELY! I throw it in through the passenger door, sticking the neck through the trunk, and resting the body of the instrument on the folded forward front passenger seat. I loose visibility of my right side mirror with the bass in the car, but thats no sweat. So, its a lot more fun having a Mustang as the bassmobile instead of the minivan I was originally going to get. You guys should see the looks I get pulling my instrument out of the car! Almost as great as owning a Ferrari :)

5. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Back when i lived in Westchester, i was working as a door-to-door salesman for some shady company... i was 19... The particular day in question, i was pushing car stuff; oil changes, tire rotations, etc. for one of the chains (Midas, Meineke, whatever)... Each "card" of coupons and discounts were sold for $20. Out of that $20, $9 would be mine... The cards were valued at $1,500 but whatever...

Things weren't going so great that day (or any other day, i'm a horrible salesman), however, i came upon a house whose lawn was adorned with a deep, rust red '80's Chevrolet Celebrity station wagon... The owner's children had DESigned a big, colorful sign that read only "$100", that sat in the windshield...

A brand new Something or other pick up truck sat in the driveway... Upon failing to make the sale to gentleman who answered the door, i turned to walk away and saw the car again... i turned back and propositioned him...

"Hey, how about this...? These cards are valued at $1,500 but we're selling them for 20 bucks a pop; say i give you five of 'em, which would equal $100 and you give me that car... How 'bout it...?"

And he agreed.

Having lost $55 of my bosses money, on the trade, i gave him every dime that was in my pocket when i got back to the office: $8.

i never paid him back the rest of the money as i wound up quitting the job soon after. My first car ended up costing me $47.

With no license, no registration, no insurance and plates from an abandon car, i drove this car around for 6 weeks. The brakes were beyond repair; going down hill meant there was a HUGE possibility i wouldn't be able to stop... The back door on the driver's side could only be opened from the inside and the window wouldn't go down. The radio barely worked, there was rust all over the car and the interior looked like it had been mauled by a tiger; the gas guage didn't work (i learned that one the hard way) and the speedometer was waaaaaay off... Ironically, the power windows on three of the four doors worked flawlessly...

When the car was towed 6 weeks later, i ended paying $150 to the tow truck guy so the whole fiasco wouldn't end up coming back to bite me... After all, it was totally, illegally on the road...

Hey, Ryan, all things considered, you made out pretty well on that car... You only took a $200 hit and met your future wife in it...! Pretty awesome story...!

6. Dave Radu

Dave Radu Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    San Jose, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dave Radu
    The year was 1968. I just graduated from high school or should I say expelled from school for drinking at the prom. (still got the diploma though). I worked for a construction company and was saving my $.
    The neighbor down the street had a 1966 corvette 427/425hp with 7,000 miles on it for sale for $3,000. After a trip to the bank the car was mine to the tune of $120.00 a month. Can you imagine a 18 year old snot nosed kid in monster like that!

My father passed away years later and my mother married the widower that sold me the car. He just died 2 years ago. He was a great man twice in my life.

7. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i started working full time under the table when i was 14. here in georgia, you could get a permit at 15 and drive to school and work. i was almost 16 and the parents were urging me to bet a vw bug or somehting cheap and reliable ( good advice). i had something else in mind. maybe i saw "SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT" too many times, beats me. she was bucaneer red with black interior. 400 cubic inch pontiac V8 with the muncie 4 speed, WS6 suspension package ( rare on the early cars common now ). i had to have it, a 1977 trans am. i bought it from a friend who lost his license street racing it. i had that car for almost 8 years, and bought many other ( black mostly) trans ams and whatever 67 to 73 camaros i could find. i grew up with the cars. i alway had several of them , all running and driveable.... no junk cars were allowed where i lived ( still arent now either). there are better, cheaper and faster cars.... but i dont care. same thing for my wanting a 308. i want one because..... thats reason enough. my second car was a real black and gold " bandit" car. bought it in 1990 with 47k miles on it. i finally sold it this summer with 69k miles on it. cars can be transportation , or a part of you, a part of your soul. i have had 112 or so trans ams and camaros.( i am now 32) i will always have one or two around, just for smiles!!

8. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I couldn't wait to get my first car! I started saving when I was twelve. I got a paper route and cut lawns in the summer and shoveled walks in the winter. My parents said I would have to pay for the car reg. insurance myself so I worked my but off. I ended up saving up about 1800.00 by the time I was almost sixteen. I had been obsessing over what to get and looking at diffrent cars as I wanted to own my own car by the time I got my license, then one day my Dad tells me he knows a guy who works on cars and he had told my Dad he had a couple of (as my Dad calls them) hotrods for sale, one being a 73 Firebird and the other a 71 Javelin. I was definately interested in the Firebird and so-so about the Javelin. We went to see the cars and the Firebird ended up being just a parts car so I looked at the Javelin and it was a 71 SST brown with a white stripe and it had a 360 with a carter 4bbl and duals, auto tranny. So I figured why not plunked down $600 for it kept it for a week, to sum it up it ended up needing more than we thought so we sold it back to the guy. Then I bought a 76 capri from a used car lot I had that one for a TWO weeks but that's another story in itself.

9. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Carreaper, i waiting for you to reply... i know your story would be interesting...

112 or so trans ams and camaros...?!? Holy cow...!!! That's a lot... Seems like you really like them... Awesome stuff... i absolutely abhor the newly DESigned Trans-Ams and Camaros, but the stuff from way back; late '70s and what not; those cars look nice...

10. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    1977 got license
    1977 Drove Pop's '74 Chevy Luv pickup into a canal-sized irrigation ditch, just as "Hang on, help is on it's way" came on the 8-Track. Pickup survived. I almost didn't... Pop was mad...
    1979 - First car after saving while building cabinets:
    1974 Toyota Corolla - put Cragar Rims, Bridgestones on, (Whoa, dude - did you get your car painted?) Pioneer Supertuner Cassette underdash, a JS-120 equalizer, 4 Pioneer speakers, Alarm.

1980 - found out car couldn't handle 4 passengers, as Bridgestones rubbed on rear fender lips. 2 Friends rode on hood 7 miles across town - 3 1/2 times in 3 hours while they were tripping on acid, drinking beer from large mugs & I was smoking weed heavily with a brother of one of the victims, er - guys riding on the hood... knocking back southern comfort & beer from large mugs... and driving... at night...

As trip # 3 1/2 was nearing it's completion, an approaching driver flashed his high beams at us - this caused mass confusion - both guys on the hood were waving their arms in a manner which suggested they were training for some sort of American Football Referee position. On the inside - we thought this suggested I move further right... into the local court's judges mailbox.

We jumped out - the others were... gone - "You killed my brother!" shouted my kicked-out-of-high-school-while-he-was-in-elementary-school friend (He'd beat up a HS Math Teacher when he was in 7th grade) - On that day our friend {who - years later was riding on the driver's side of the hood} and I stole the Sheriff's Deputy's hubcaps while our compatriot was being arrested.

Butt, I digest. We made our way down the road a spell and turned into the orange grove moments before we heard a pair of shotgun blasts from the judge's front yard. A few minutes later - we all managed to reunite & get the other guys back on the hood & go on our merry way to go shoot some snooker.

Flash-forward to a few months later - compression check - all 4 within 1 pt. of each other on a strong, dependable little car. My mechanic was the judge's nephew, and Rick Mear's off-road mechanic, as well.

The very next day a Dodge 4x4 ran over my car... with me and my hood-riding friend inside, as we crossed a highway undergoing repaving at 15 mph. Good thing nobody could ride in that back seat. 3 Witnesses said the truck had to be going over 100 mph. Speedo locked at 103. The Corolla was measured at 303 ft. from the point of impact, the truck - 406 ft. after it rolled and flipped 3 times. Driver was .18 alcohol. Glad we were sober that night.

We all survived. I don't know how. I've got scars on the back of my head and neck - right on the spine, baby. Had round-the-clock headaches for 3 years though - Never stopped for a second - not one. Finally, Dolobid took the place of 10 different prescriptions simultaneouly. Ultimately, a Chiropractor replaced a physical/relaxation therapy and a neurologist with no personality.

Still have that old underdash SuperTuner - just waiting for that car it belongs in... to bend my old friends minds with...

11. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    "Hang on help is on it's way I'll be there as fast as I cannnnnnnnnnnnnn"

12. Ekasilicon

Ekasilicon Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2003
    My first car came when I was 19, almost 20. I always wanted a BMW and I finally had a job where I could afford a used one. I looked online at a few local 1994 3-series. I found one that interested me, so I went to look at it. I committed right then and there that I would buy it. Big mistake, I have learned a lot since then. I did so much maintainance on it, replaced the O2 sensor, the thermostat 3 times, the transmission, the brakes, the tires. A lot of the things were just wear and tear items, but other ones I should not have had to replace. I have always done more research on a car before I buy it than I did on my 1994 325is. It was a great car, drove so nicely, and I had an emotional attachment to it because of all the work I did on it. It was hard to see it go, but I have upgraded to a better car.

13. PaulC

PaulC Formula 3

Feb 11, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Sedan deVille, baby blue (metallic) blue vinyl roof and baby blue velour interior. 455 ci engine, no emission controls. The car was huge, I inherited it from my brother who got it from my mother. I could smoke the tires until the speedo read 70mph, averaged about 4mpg in the 2 years I drove it. it was replaced by a 1987 suburban.

14. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    1974 VW Beetle. The car was orginally orange but the previous owner spray-painted it metallic purple. Incidentally, they left the wheels and dash orange. It had crash damage to the front and the only day it ran was the day I bought it. :)

15. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    First car I owned was a stylish Plymouth Horizon 4 door in stunning racing brown metalic.
    The dam 2.2 kept going and going and I went through 6 sets of front pads and 3 sets of front rotors (after the first set I learned how to do them my self) did 160,000 KM in a year and a half as a School photographer (yaknow the sit on the box and turn your head this way NEXT guy) and then started as a Photojournalist at the local paper all at the tender age of 19
    Had many adventures in it on it and under it....
    Died a painful death when the 3 speed automatic lost its way

16. GuardsRed

GuardsRed Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I lived on the way to HH...Hidden Valley Estates for about 10 years. Anywho, my first was a 1969 Cal'ed out bug. Lowered with Empi wheels, Klebbers, Quiet Pack, etc. Was into NWO, Psych Furs, Smiths and NWA at the time. Odd mix. Cool car.

Since then I have had:

1966 VW Bug
    1984 VW Scriocco
    1958 VW Bug
    1990 Mazda B-2000
    1972 VW Bug
    1984 BMW 318i
    1989 Honda Prelude
    1989 Honda Accord
    1993 Ford Probe
    1991 Chevrolet Z28
    1987 Ford Tempo
    1988 BMW M3
    1993 Mazda MX-6
    1985 Porsche 944
    1989 BMW 635Csi
    2001 BMW 330i
    2002 BMW X5
    1999 Audi A4
    1993 Mercedes 300E
    1988 Porsche 911
    2003 Discovery

What does the future hold?
    An F-car of some type...preferably a '67 330GTC...

17. 1992F40

1992F40 Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2002
    Sophmore in HS and worked all summer to save up $1500 and my mom gave me another $500 or so to buy a 1974 Super Beattle-Blue. Had a bad accident, was not at fault, the insurance did not want to total it out so I had about $10,000 worth of reapairs done including:
    1) white paint job with a slight emerald green color mixed in (very slight)-could not see unless you were really close up or in the right light.
    2) Monza exhaust-My Ferrari influence at the time
    3) Wrap around bumpers the same color as the car
    4) All lights were in a smoke cover
    5) Engine re-build with about 25% more power

I was really proud of this car!

Sounds pimp, but really nicely done and very clean.

18. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    My first car was a 78 Datsun B210 I taught myself how to drive a stick in this car one winter when my parents were in Hawaii on vacation (14 at the time)

Since then:

1978 Buick Riv 75th ani edtion
    1972 Dodge Challenger
    1980 Old Omega
    198? Ford Fairmount
    198? Plymouth Champ
    1966 Ford Galaxy 500
    1967 Plymouth Fury III
    1980 VW Rabbit
    1988 VW Fox Wagon
    1993 VW Collectors edition Cabriolet
    1993 VW Corrado VR6
    1996 Jeep Gran Cherokee
    1995 Honda Civic EX (wifes)
    1995 Buick Skylark
    1966 Pontic Lemans Convertible
    2003 Crysler Town & Country LXI

I think that is it.

19. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    I was 18 years old and got my drivers license. My father had this old car that he bought a few months earlier from a friends at work.

A signal orange Volvo 4-door from the mid 70s. (this is back in 87) It was bear bone and it was a Automatic. I learned (as all Germans do) on a stick. First time you get to the traffic light and try to press the clutch donw you make that surge towards the windshield. "ah, yes, Automatic, no clutch, just a big brake pedal".
    The car was gigantic. It was 2 tons of rolling steel. My dad called it the Tundra Tank.
    It was not quite my car but then I did not have a car till I was 20. Opted to buy a motorcycle instead of a car. Had to earn that money in a summer since my parents refused to give me any money towards a bike. They would have paid for the car though.

My first car then was a brand new Mazda Miata. Flown in by Lufthansa from the US. It was my car and also my demo model. In the next months I sold over 300 of those Miatas. Made the supplying dealer in New Jersey Miata dealer of the month for several months in a row.

20. francisco j. quinones

francisco j. quinones Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2002
    Panama City,FL
    Full Name:
    Francisco J. Quinones
    wanted an e30 M3 but reality meant a 1980 Plymouth Saporro 2.6lt 5sp 4wdb w/kenwood cassette and pioneer speakers plus i added an ANSA twin tip muffler and the guy at the muffler shop was nice enough to remove the forward "resonator" as well, man that thing sounded sweet,close enough.:)
    it was my grouppe b rally car on the "huntin" trails and general banzai night run rocket,blew it up racing a late '70's LTD II.
    Martin,i've done something similar, racing and downshifting the saporro into corners all day and then getting home and Dad sends me on an errand in the cutlass cruiser wagon, first downhill corner at speed go for the clutch slam my foot on the carpet leaning forward on the seat and OH!!! SHIII......

21. Exoticbro

Exoticbro Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    St.Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Chuck Ligon
    I bought my first car the summer between sophmore
    and junior year in high school when I was 17.
    I had been working and saving my money since I was 15.
    I was looking at Triumphs and MG's but found a 64 Healey
    3000 BJ8. The car was solid and ran well but did need some
    work. My dad thought I was crazy. I had a lot of fun in that
    car and it taught me to be a mechanic and electrician. Sure
    wish I had kept it.

22. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
    My first car was a 1968 Olds Toronado. My mother got to get a brand new shiney Ford Granada in 75. I got her old car. It lasted me exactly 2 weeks, something about taking it on the tollway @ 135 mph or so. Turns out that she had over heated it during the summer. It had hair line cracks.. Blew the head gasket.. etc.

Second car was a 73 Porsche 914. Which since the other one only lasted a week, it was really my first car.

Yep wish I still had both those cars. Had a long line of them since.

23. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Bumpity-bump-bump

24. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    I purchased my first car while I was a sophomore in college.
    A candyapple red 66 Mustang 289 4speed.

I bought it from a lady that was the original owner.

That was in 1978.

Oh yeah, that car is still in my garage.

Erich

25. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Hey new guys, care to share a story or two?