Question on bank wire transfers... | FerrariChat

Question on bank wire transfers...

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by lesterm, Dec 22, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    I opened a checking account with the Bank of New York today, and I was looking over their fees after I got home. Apparently they charge $12.00 for incoming wire transfers? I use Paypal a lot, so, will I get charged $12.00 everytime I transfer money from my Paypal account to my bank account? Also, to verify my account with Paypal, Paypal needs to transfer a few cents into the account. I hope they don't charge me $12 for a $0.05 deposit!

Maybe I should have just stayed with Citibank.

2. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    You'll only get hit with the $12.00 chanrge on incoming wires. Paypal transfers, direct deposit, etc. are ACH transactions and should be free. This includes Paypal's two "deposits" for identity verfification.

3. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    as stated above, those aren't wires. anything incoming like that would be an ACH transaction. a wire is specifically someone wiring you funds from another banking account which goes in immediately. the fees for outgoing wires, if you notice on the fee schedule, will be anywhere between 25 and 45 for domestic to international wire transfers.

in dealing with a handful of companies in japan, I'm sent an invoice with banking information and on the invoice there is a wire fee. they don't want to be hit with it, so they tack it on my side. most of the time, it is a nominal fee, like $12, when transferring several thousands of dollars over.

4. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    Great. Thanks for the information :)

5. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    PayPal, your paycheck deposit, etc, etc, are considered EFT's (electronic fund transactions) and are free, as others mentioned.

Wire transfers are where you call the bank and say "I need to send $XXX to account number 12345678 at Bank of Buku", then you pay $12.

Be careful linking in a PayPal account... lots of people (including me) have had problems with them. They are an unregulated bank. Make sure you never keep $$ in that bank account and only use it for PayPal.