Need Help with 308/328 Dimensions... | FerrariChat

Need Help with 308/328 Dimensions...

Discussion in '308/328' started by Wayne 962, Dec 22, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Hi there. I'm working with someone to try to figure out why we're having problems with dimensions of covers on 308s and 328s. Here are some questions from my cover supplier:

Ferrari 328 / 308 is a real challenge to cover - about 25% of these cars in the US are Euro-spec cars which were gray marketed. We constantly receive complaints from customers insisting that they have stock U.S. spec 308/328, and the cover is too long or short.

The pattern we have was taken from a buyer about 10 years ago, he said he had a stock US model 308.

Do you have any detailed information on this car? The problems we have with it are total length and mirror position.

Please provide Dwight and myself with any information you may have on the 308/328 history, and possible factory changes in bumper length and mirror position.

Other than the bumper tucking in and out, I'm not aware of any other variations in body sizes on this. Can anyone help me out with some more info to shed some light on these problems?

Thanks,

Wayne

2. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Wayne,
    Ceratinly ther are different mirrors. Mine has the more upright square ones, but some cars have the oval "California Turbo' style.

My mirrors in my profile.
    Oval mirrors here:

3. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Right - but is the mounting location for the mirrors the same in all cases, or does this change too? The covers are usually manufactured with enough room to accomodate different sized mirrors?

-Wayne

4. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I have seen 308's with 2 mirrors, 1 mirror and no mirrors. Mirrors mounted next to the small front quarter window or back by the opening side window. I always figured that the cars (especially the early ones) came in without mirrors which were added by the distributor or dealer. Then of course many have been modified by a stream of PO's over the last 20-30 years.
    Don't forget that the 308 GT4 is quite different dimensionaly than the GTB/S and needs it's own cover.

5. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    My mirrors are set farther back on the door. Look at the two pictures with the vent window as a reference, probably 6-8 inches difference.