First time owner- 86 328GTS Parking brake question | FerrariChat

First time owner- 86 328GTS Parking brake question

Discussion in '308/328' started by Nationaltec, Dec 22, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nationaltec

Nationaltec Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    North County
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Guys,

First timer (4 days) with my new toy and I was fortunate to find one in near perfect condition. Looks and runs perfect..!

The only flaw is an intermittent parking brake light (must release several times and slam down to make the light go out) and it sure doesnt seem that tight "tension-wise".

Is 3-4 clicks normally that easy? ( I can park in my driveway but I sure wouldn't leave it out of gear! )

I'm going to order the service manuals from Ferraribooks.com. Any feedback on the quality would be appreciated.

It only tool me a 16 months to find the right car but without ferrarichat I'm sure I would of made the wrong purchase as an inexperienced buyer.

Thanks again for the help everyone
    Patrick

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    The parking brake on the 308/328 series in notoriously fickle. When properly adjusted, it will hold, but I still wouldn't trust on any sort of incline what so ever (though mine seems to hold just fine after adjustment, I still don't trust it).

If the light is acting up, make sure you are releasing it correctly. In order to ensure that stupid light goes off, you need to hold the button in the entire time you are releasing the handle to the "rest" position. If you don't, it will "catch" and the switch is not released. Try practicing it a few times and you will get the hang of it.

Even after a 18 months of ownership (and several drives per week, even in winter) I still "hang up" on the release and see the light still glowing once in a while. Oh well.

Please post a picture of your car in your profile! We all want to see :)

3. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Patrick,

Congrats on the car - you won't regret it! I have had the same problem. My brakes also squeal a bit, but wtf - you're driving a Ferrari!

4. carlrose

carlrose Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Hi Patrick,

To clarify - to release parking brake have to push in knob at end, pull *up* slightly, then allow to drop back down. Can't just push back down.
    Yes, mine occasionally is a bit fickle if I don't pull up slightly "enough".

Congratulations! Feel free to post any other questions.
    :) Carl

P.S. Oh, everyone didn't know where to post this - US 328 air recirculation (into exhaust manifolds) T-fitting beside large hemispherical off-white vale can tend to rust out. New F-part about $90. Mid-year Corvette 63-67 radiator-to-expansin tank "T" fitting almost identical (need to cut or grind off small "flares" at ends), paint black, fit perfectly & virtually indistinguishable. About $9.

5. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    my 79' has the same issue with the e-brake. i adjusted it as tight as i could get it, but still would not trust it to hold the car on a steep hill. never any issues with the light though. just make habit of leaving in gear on a hill when parking.

6. Nationaltec

Nationaltec Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    North County
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Holding the button down worked !!!! Damm I feel stupid !

I appreciate the help...!!

Geez now I can say the car was perfect upon receipt. The previous owner was even more anal retentive than I am. I couldn't ask for a nicer person to purchase from. I just got lucky..!!

Thanks again Dave...!!
    Patrick
    San Diego,CA

I'll take a picture in the morning and post as requested...

7. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Joe, the release of the e-brake on a 328 is little different than on a 308. And the brake when engaged, illuminates the "brake light" on the dash pod.

8. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    where is the parking brake light on the 328? in the center console? on my 308 when you pull the brake the "parking brake" light under the speedo lights up. so are these related from the 308 to the 328 in any way? I WANT TO UNDERSTAND!!!!!hahaha

9. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Oops, I didn't recall that the e-brake in the 308 also lights on the dash....but the e-brake is disengaged differently. It is positioned on the left side of the seat. To release it, you have to push in the button, hold it in, and lower the lever and set it all the way down, then carefully release the button. If you slip on the way down, either the lever will "catch" of the light trip will catch...or both. What is different, is when the brake is set "on"...the lever can be returned to the lowered position....so you can never trust the position of the lever, you have to determine the position of the brake by the "feel" and the little light on the dash.

So where the screw up can happen, is you push in the button, lower the lever but pop the buttom up on the way down. The lever will still go to the "rest" position, but the brake will still be engaged, and likely have the light still on.

10. Nationaltec

Nationaltec Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    North County
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Ok the new CA plate is "NOSPDNG" hope the cops think it's funny...!