Twin turbo TR Dyno | FerrariChat

Twin turbo TR Dyno

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by allanlambo, Dec 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    #1 allanlambo, Dec 22, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Color Red
    Outside Temperature
    Asperation Turbo
    Transmission Manual
    Dyno Run 1 WHP:699.4 Torque:603 Boost:17.5
    Dyno Run 2 WHP: Torque: Boost:
    Dyno Run 3 WHP: Torque: Boost:
    Modifications twin turbo running 93 octane
    Future Modifications
    Comments tuned down to 93 octane and lower boost. Has been over 1000hp
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    #2 allanlambo, Dec 22, 2003
  3. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    pity these didn't come out too well - there's an interesting article about Norwood TT TRs in the latest Forza. Restored my faith that there's a spirit of fun there rather than just the uncritical reviewing / purism that sometimes seems to be the case.

Do you have a better graphic?

4. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    No i dont. Power looks very peaky, making big power in a very short part of the upper rev range and dropping off quickly.

5. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I never thought I would have to say this, but I agree with Allan....nice peak numbers, but one of the worst shaped curves I have even seen. I can even image trying to drive the thing on the street with a torque curve that goes straight up and straight down. A poster child for what not to do really....

6. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Yup! Another awesome Norwood creation!

7. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    definatly nice power.

8. jjstecher

jjstecher Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2002
    Rochester Minnesota
    Full Name:
    John Stecher
    I dont know this looks just like any other high boost turbo car I have seen. The old 930 I builtup had the same curve, and yes it was hell on earth to drive.

9. 4sfed4

4sfed4 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    Looks like a classic case of an oversized turbo.

10. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    "Yup! Another awesome Norwood creation!"

"I dont know this looks just like any other high boost turbo car I have seen. The old 930 I builtup had the same curve, and yes it was hell on earth to drive."

"Looks like a classic case of an oversized turbo."

I was going to say that it looks like an undersize turbo for the boost level because there is no sign of the wastegate working. The rise side is exactly what you would expect, but it never flattens out, the turbo turbo chokes and the power falls back down. It looks like the turbo is sized for 5-8 psi maybe and the guy just wanted to see what it would do and locked the wastegate shut.....It does show why I prefer blowers though.....

11. riconijhof

riconijhof Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Rico Nijhof
  12. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    #12 amenasce, Dec 23, 2003
  13. 4sfed4

4sfed4 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    What is the normal power peak rpm for this engine sans turbo? That will answer the turbo sizing question conclusively.

14. james patterson

james patterson Formula Junior
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 8, 2003
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    James Patterson
    Who's red TR is it? Any pictures?

15. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Ill see if i can find some Porsche TT dyno graphs, and youll see some very linear graphs.

This Tr, will only make good power between 5 and 6,000 rpm, and then falls like a rock. A car with a less power, but more lineear power, will smoke him.

I bet, in a 5mph roll on, my car, without nos, would beat him till close to mid triple digits.

16. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    #16 allanlambo, Dec 23, 2003
  17. 4sfed4

4sfed4 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    I would agree with you there (Ive been down the "peaky turbo road" myself). Its much better to have a broader powerband (even if max power is less).

The question still remains...what is the normal peak power rpm for that engine? If the normal power peak is in the same rpm range as the above dyno, the turbo is massively oversized. If that engine would normally peak at 8000 rpm, then there might be something else going on (i.e. turbo cannot maintain boost pressure). However, I would still doubt that as undersized turbos generally spool very quickly and that one looks quite laggy.

18. ndanger

ndanger Rookie

Apr 28, 2002
    This Testarossa you have been showing off and now dissing, is mine. It formerly was owned by John Carmack. It has been written up in the May, 1999 Car & Driver magazine. You can see archives of the article on Bob Norwood's site.
    http://www.bobnorwood.com/Norwood%20Magazine%20Article%20Archives/CD-1.htm

The TR used to have nos, but it has SO much power that it was superfluous. It's an amazing ride. Slow to start because of it's weight, its 60-160 is faster than its 0-60. Talk to some of the guys around town about maxing out their cars while running neck and neck with it and then watching the flames shoot from the exhaust of the TR as the pedal is dropped.

I had it tuned down from racing fuel so I could drive it everyday and occasionally take it to the road track (the pic is of me on the straight at Texas World Speedway). It does equally well both places, and inspires amazement from anyone who sees, hears, or is lucky enough to drive it.

It is truly an awesome Norwood creation! And you will never find a better shop than Norwood Performance. Never have I had such wonderful customer service and care both for me as a person and for my car.

19. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    #19 allanlambo, Dec 23, 2003
    Judging by the dyno graph, the power on this car is too peaky. Im not necesarily dissing the car, but i do think the setup is not properly thought out. Im clearly amazed that this being John Carmacks car, is actually running.

As for flames...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    ndanger, welcome to the site! Awesome car and everyone knows I love Norwoods 100%. Don't worry about Allan, all 3,000 users wrote him off a long time ago. :D

21. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    I just couldn't help myself! I've got to chime in...........
    I wonder how many of these "critics" have ever even DRIVEN a Norwood Twin Turbo car?
    LOL.......................

22. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Jeff,
    Do you have a graph for your engine?? I'm pretty sure it will be much flatter than this one. I have seen some pretty nice stuff that came from Norwood. I just think that on this particular car, it looks like the turbos are sized for about 500 rwhp and that is prabably how it let Norwood and the wastegates were adjusted at a later date making the the engine very peaky. I'm sure it is very fast, but personally, I know that I would not be able to drive it anywhere near it's full potentail because of the extremely non-linear torqure curve, I would need to turn the boost down a little or switch to bigger turbos

23. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Not too many, since theyre always broken. Im amazed that yours, since it puts out a whopping 350rwhp, is still running!

24. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003

The curve on my F40 raises quickly to 420RWHP at 4000rpm and runs flat until over 7000 rpm. I don't see why a blower would be better?

Rick
    If I can figure out how to open the dynojet viewer I will post a graph.

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Allan, I told you it's OK to post information that has some facts behind it. So far you haven't provided that. You make one more comment like that and I'm going to kick your ass off here.