Bored, stuck at the office thanks to 5 accidents in 30 minutes over a 10 mile stretch | FerrariChat

Bored, stuck at the office thanks to 5 accidents in 30 minutes over a 10 mile stretch

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by JaguarXJ6, Dec 22, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    One day, people will learn how to focus and resist giving in to being curious and having to *look* everytime something happens on the road.

I would love to leave the office and go home, but I can't unless I want to wait in traffic for 2 hours.

Here are the accidents right in between the path from the office to home.

In the space of 30 minutes and *10* miles, the following people in an attempt to remove themselves from the gene pool caused the following:

5 North Before 56 Traffic Collision - No Injuries 5:30 PM

5 North at Lomas Santa Fe Dr Traffic Collision - No Injuries 5:53 PM

5 North Past Birmingham Dr Traffic Collision - Ambulance Responding 5:44 PM - one person not moving, accident in #1 and #3 lane, 2 cars already in the shoulder, mass CHP, ambulence, tow truck on scene

5 South Before Lomas Santa Fe Dr Vehicle Fire 6:00 PM - white Impala went airborne and hit center divider, flipped over several times, landed on roof, white truck involved called in

5 South Past Carmel Valley Road Traffic Collision - No Injuries 5:48 PM

This is the bullsh!t we get to deal with day to day. I just wanted to say a public thank you to all of those who don't contribute to the traffic nightmare that is San Diego.

I'm seriously considering getting a second car to keep at work so I will commute from home to the train station 10 miles North in the *opposite* direction, go about 30 miles to the other station, and then the couple miles to the office just so I can avoid these idiots.

San Diego is home to the largest group of license carrying morons I've ever been been the pleasure to be around!! That includes the most notorious cities/traffic patterns in Europe, Africa, the UK, and yes, even Los Angeles. For the people who say LA traffic is worse, you have absolutely no clue how refreshing LA traffic is compared to here.

Sunny

2. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    WOW........ i am from Torrance california, been here in georgia for some time. i wouldnt wish that traffic on anyone. hey at least you were not IN it , in a fcar and had your car damaged or ( worse ) were hurt yourself. count your blessing that one of the morons didnt hit you!!!! i havent driven there in about 3 years but i know what ya mean. hang in there and get home SAFE! .

3. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Thanks... just extremely frustrated that it takes 40-60 minutes to get home 17 miles in the evening unless I stay an hour late every night. After difficult days in the office and constantly having to worry about money matters, this is the one thing that always pushes me over the edge and stresses me out. Any accidents just add delay.

Maybe I can find a pill that will help? If one exists I can take and still drive.

You know traffic is bad when you have 2 turn lanes that get a protected green arrow for up to a minute! If I can make it to retirement, I'm not living in the city.

4. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Sorry to hear about that Sunny :( Try and keep positive though...think about your special someone. Youll be home soon! Just get in your car, put some good music on...and cruise. Dont worry about speed and youll get there faster than you know it!

5. Entelechy

Entelechy Formula Junior

May 19, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Chris Cummings
    Amen Sonny! Especially after you got hit not long ago. Just about every time I drive, I see the most amazing acts of stupidity in LA (didn't realize San Diego was so bad). Many here seem to drive with the "me first" mentality - no one wants to wait there turn and they pull the most ******* manuevers and force their way back in, almost causing accidents and saving MAYBE a tenth of a second. I can't tell you how many times I've seen some moron slashing across lanes, either on the highways or major thoroughfares, and yet, light after light, they gain little, if any ground, on me staying right in my lane. Usually, I just give them a look and shake my head.

My wife has been trying to get me to work on transcendence...just accept that that's the way it is and that consideration is a rarity. I actually didn't realize how much I gripe about it until she started pointing it out. Turning up some good music helps. As my father once said, anyone can find peace up in the mountains or the desert, the real skill is finding it in the middle of that kind of madness.

Yours in frustration,
    ~Chris

6. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Thanks guys. Its been a day, for sure.

Twice last week on two different days going to home for lunch and for errands (Tues and Weds), I was in the #3 lane on a 4 lane highway over this same stretch of road with all these accidents and was doing 90mph and I was NOT CATCHING the traffic pack in front of me. This is not the first time this has happened when going 25mph over the limit and I was not making up any distance on the pac in front of me.

If you are not speeding with traffic during the day or non peak times, you get run over if you are in the wrong lane. Yet, people continue to immediately merge into the #1 lane at 70mph with someone coming up on them at 90mph despite the well known fact the freeways out here are ******** runways.

I've only seen people pulled over for going way faster than traffic which means they are doing 90+ mph in most cases.

As great as all of this speeding is on a daily basis, it causes problems when the slow drivers get mixed in with the fast ones, at night.

The best way I can describe driving in San Diego is like being on the Autobahn and having a car blocking each of the lanes that won't let you by. Every day. Only, its worse at night.

Its not the speed the rude road manners, but the sheer volume of cars is overwhelming to try and retain the same speed limit restrictions. Their solution? Add another lane for 3 miles in between two exits/on ramps. And stretch the project over 5 years. Thats how slow they are to making improvements.

There are rarely accidents during the day and plenty at night. Its too bad that no one bothers to see the correlation and spend money on a small section of bright lighting to see if there is an improvement in that particular stretch.

Sunny

7. 150shot

150shot Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    Wow-Sunny hang in there...its rough. I still ponder whether my paycut to work 10mins from home was worth it! Maybe a cheapo daily driver could help ease you out!

8. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I just love it when somebody pulls up behind me and flashes their high beams for me to gdet out of the way. I would, except I've got a wall on the left, 2 cars in front, and a car right beside me. Duh.

Know before you go - Choose your California city
    http://www.sigalert.com/

9. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Its our job to know not where the cars are in front of us, to the side, and to the rear, but especially who's in front of them in front of us, etc. I agree, there's no reason to flash your beams unless there is NO ONE in front of you or they are a CHP/PO trying to get through traffic.

I love SigAlert. I get to watch all the pretty diamonds signifying accidents and read the dispatcher reports. If they only had a sigalert module you could tie into your Nav system...........................

Sunny

10. Ontogenetik

Ontogenetik Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    you can follow a certain government's example and bomb your way through the "problem"

>Maybe I can find a pill that will help?

pill - bomb, what is the shortcut difference? the target.

>Maybe I can

the traffic isn't the illness. it is the symptom.

the problem isn't the problem, dealing with the problem is the problem.
    this leads us back to you, ie. you are in control.

-

11. Ontogenetik

Ontogenetik Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    >I actually didn't realize how much I gripe about it until she started >pointing it out.

imagine all the other things women observe ...

>As my father once said, anyone can find peace up in the mountains or >the desert, the real skill is finding it in the middle of that kind of madness.

the "skill" may be to stay away from the madness.
    perhaps ask ...

12. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Thanks for the kind words. I'll get used to the traffic. I need time to adjust my thinking. Save the frustration for when it really counts, in emergencies. :D

Sunny

13. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    "Real wolrd" origin of the Sig-alert......

Make sure you have enough in your pack in case you get stuck on the freeway!

D'OH

DL

14. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    Thanks for this link. We drove from SD to Santa Barbara tuesday leaving about three in the afternoon. The entire trip was just like your ride home. 206 miles, 6.5 hours, never really got above 40MPH. La was a mess but so was north county.It is just not like the old days, no one cares about driving, instead they are talking, drinking coffee, driving nice and slow in the fast lane, reprogramming their computer, talking on the phone and reading a map. I think it will not improve anytime soon.