86 Testa services | FerrariChat

86 Testa services

Discussion in 'Canada' started by MS250, Dec 11, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Any CDN testa owners out there? Wanted to know based on our climate over our U.S tifosi, if a regular startup ....say bimonthly is recommended? I have heard that regular use helps in the belts from deforming and lasting longer up to 7 yrs before replacing.

2. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I suppose you mean during the current winter months, correct? I'm not a TR owner, but my little ol' 308 still has belts :) I'd suggest a more frequent schedule - once every two or three weeks - if possible. The old Bosch fuel injection doesn't like long periods of idleness (not running idle but time spent not running at all).

3. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Yes Peter, I am referring to currently...only problem is when you talk to Ferrari they say its not necessary and the car can stay sitting. I found 4 yrs ago that the car ran very rough when I let it sit . But when I actually ran her in summer and winter without any problems. The car being 18 yrs old now I worry about dry starts. Did you drive it at all for the tranny and brakes in the winter months?

4. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Tranny doesn't really need any particular attention to for storage. Brakes on the other hand will suffer. Best to jump in the car once every two weeks or so and press the brakes many times. No need to drive the car or run the engine (but you could if you're doing the biweekly running procedure). Pumping the brakes will circulate the brake fluid and helps keep the piston seals fresh.

5. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Great idea !!! Thanks for tip.

6. GRIESDALE

GRIESDALE Karting

Nov 12, 2001
    Lions Bay, B.C. Canada
    Full Name:
    Donald Griesdale
    Big Red, as Peter says, pump the brakes every 2 weeks to keep seals moist and a start-up every 2 weeks for at least 5 minutes until the water temp registers is a good. Of course, in Vancouver, a TR can be driven most weeks!! My cam belts will be changed in 2006 at 58000k. Previous change in 1999 at 24000k. After all, the Factory Manual suggests 52500 MILES for the first belt change. (87500k)!! Also, if you are not driving it at all, keep a trickle charger on the battery. Don.

7. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato

Don how about carbon build up? Heard that most exotics have strong moisture build up . I currently have Borla Exhaust with no cats but I'm worried about dry starts. Any suggestions? Climate in Toronto is much different than Vancouver
    Thanks
    Rick

8. GRIESDALE

GRIESDALE Karting

Nov 12, 2001
    Lions Bay, B.C. Canada
    Full Name:
    Donald Griesdale
    I'm not too worried about carbon build-up as every 3 or 4 weeks, I take the TR out for a DRIVE!! Don't forget that water doesn't hurt these cars- inactivity does. I also have a BORLA exhaust but not installed as yet because in B.C. a car has to be 15 years old before it can be registered as a collector car and then no more AirCare inspection is requires. So, in 2006 when the car is 15 years old, the next major service will be done at about 55000 k and the BORLA re-installed!! Don.

9. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    How has this worked out for you Rick? After 13 years have you seen carbon build up from cold starts?

10. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    This guy hasn't changed the belts yet, never mind the skid stains in his mutande

11. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    I stand corrected then